PDA

View Full Version : RRS Canon 200/1.8L Rig Review

Orgnoi1
02-09-2007, 06:12 PM
For those that shoot indoor sports this may be one of the better rigs I have toyed with.

It combines the RRS 200/1.8L foot (LCF-40) and the RRS large flash bracket (B91-B). It allows the unobtrusive use of the Canon 580EX flash while shooting telephoto shots.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/RRS200-1.8LRig.jpg

I would rate the foot a 10 out of 10 as it allows the use of Arca Swiss mounts without the extra mount attachment. The flash bracket I would say is probably a 8 out of 10, as it does shake considerably due to the large size of the bracket with the weight attached. A bonus on the flash bracket is the ability to rotate the flash to whatever degree location you choose for shooting both portrait and landscape.

The prices are as follows:

Canon 200/1.8L foot $65
B91-B Bracket $250

zacker
02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
is that a camera or a damn robot? it looks like its ready to take over the world!!!

rparent
02-09-2007, 10:11 PM
HAHA! That's a nice setup you've got going there, Ross.

Orgnoi1
02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Its a beast... coming from someone who handholds the 500L I would say this is as hard to shoot with as that... at some point I will have to weigh the two set ups and see which one weighs more...LOL

convergent
02-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Wow... you got the flash bracket for the foot too? I love the foot, but I am not a big fan of that bracket. I know a lot of people use them, but I like the camera to rotate instead of the flash. I'm not sure there are any other options for flash brackets with the 200 though... so this might be the only choice. If you got one of those flash extenders and used this rig with your 500, you'd have quite an awesome birding setup.

Orgnoi1
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow... you got the flash bracket for the foot too? I love the foot, but I am not a big fan of that bracket. I know a lot of people use them, but I like the camera to rotate instead of the flash. I'm not sure there are any other options for flash brackets with the 200 though... so this might be the only choice. If you got one of those flash extenders and used this rig with your 500, you'd have quite an awesome birding setup.

yeah I decided to go ahead and do it... the nex purchase from RRS will be the L-Bracket for the 1D so I can mount the wireless on the side with the antenna vertical for more range...

The bracket does not hinder the flash movement or the camera movement... since its hooked to the foot... so you have a ton of options as to where you want the camera/flash... the only drawback I had seen so far was just the vibrations... I also did get the foot for the 500L so I have checked it out on that too and its really nice..

convergent
02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm sure its a nice setup, especially for the big lenses. I just had a whole dialog with someone this week and talked them out of that type of flash rig in favor of the Custom Brackets setup... but they don't have any big white lenses to use with it. The disadvantage with the L plate is you have to take the camera off the mount and then remount it on the other side of the L to go from portrait to landscape, where with the CB, you just rotate it in place... and the flash stays in one spot. I think that setup you have could have some macro capabilities as well... if you picked up another hotshoe mount... just a hunch.

Orgnoi1
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Well the L plate is not going to be used for mounting whatsoever... its a neat little trick you can do with the WFT transmitter to get it off the bottom of the camera... otherwise I doubt I would ever use it... it makes the WFT vertical which allows the base of the antenna to get above the camera (where most of the transmitting is done from) and slightly increases range... I may or may not use a rig like this with smaller lenses... not really sure... but either way instead of rotating the camera you would rotate the flash... so it really is no different in the long run how the end result looks... =)

convergent
02-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd love to see how you are doing the WFT thing... I can't visualize it. Like I said, a lot of people use this bracket and love it... I just prefer a different approach... as stated they will ultimately result in similar results in the finished product. Plus, this one works with the big white lenses and the CB won't. Together with a Better Beamer ( http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=21 ) and your 500L, you will have one heck of a birding setup with this bracket.

Orgnoi1
02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Here is a link to the WFT on the RRS bracket...

http://www.deathtofilm.com/2006/02/18/pimp-my-wft-e1a/

JerseyMutt
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Wow...all these acronyms. Makes me feel at home...lol

Nice setup Ross.

Orgnoi1
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Here is another decent shot...

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/0/8/4/200-1.8RRS.jpg

Note the Northeastfoto.com hoody!!!

convergent
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey, we can't see the hoody like that! That is one impressive looking setup. If that doesn't cause folks to clear out for you get a picture, nothing will. ;)