PDA

View Full Version : Tip off1 Uconn Women vs Notre Dame

jerry@molaver.org
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
From last night's UConn - Notre Dame Women's game at the Gampel Pavillion. Our seats are almost center court but very high :drool Just started editing the images - obviously this is the 1st :) - Suggestions always apprciated (except donate more $$$ for better seats!)

Shot with my favorite lens the 300 2.8 IS at f3.2 1/800 on a IDSII iso 1600

http://www.molaver.org/photos/misc/ucwnd.jpg

convergent
01-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Nice shot from the stands. Just out of curiosity, why not go to f/2.8 and lower the ISO a little?

JustinL
01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Same question I would ask. Jerry you always have great shots from your seats. Ever get any weird looks aiming that 300mm lens from your seat?

Orgnoi1
01-29-2007, 08:52 AM
It is a great shot... good skin tone!! I was wondering if you have plunked anyone on the head by accident with that 300/2.8....LOL

jerry@molaver.org
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Nice shot from the stands. Just out of curiosity, why not go to f/2.8 and lower the ISO a little?

Good question! If I went to f2.8 I could probably go to iso 1200 - not much of a difference but the dof is really slim at 2.8 (and not much better at 3.2). If you look at many of the pix I post on my website of the games you can see what I mean - 2 players close to each other yet 1 is starting to go oof. . .

As far as the size of the lens goes, I do get a few comments every game from those sitting near us but without the hood on it really isn't so big - You never see me there with the 400! The only problem has been when someone tall sits directly in front of me. Then it is a matter of their big melon blocking the bottom of the frame :happy

convergent
01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
You're fortunate to be able to bring big glass into the arena. I have had difficulty at times getting my 70-200 in the door. For a Sienna game, however, I did manage to get the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 in. I don't currently have floor access for any college venues, but for high school I shoot mostly f/2 from the floor, and DOF is definitely an issue. I would think though at 300mm from the stands, it wouldn't be too bad.... but Canon doesn't really give you much noise at ISO1600 anyways, and I've heard its better to stay on the primary ISO settings and not use the 1/3s.

jerry@molaver.org
01-30-2007, 09:28 AM
You're fortunate to be able to bring big glass into the arena. I have had difficulty at times getting my 70-200 in the door. For a Sienna game, however, I did manage to get the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 in. I don't currently have floor access for any college venues, but for high school I shoot mostly f/2 from the floor, and DOF is definitely an issue. I would think though at 300mm from the stands, it wouldn't be too bad.... but Canon doesn't really give you much noise at ISO1600 anyways, and I've heard its better to stay on the primary ISO settings and not use the 1/3s.

I went through a one man crusade last year (2005) with UConn over bringing in big glass to the Hartford Civic Center (men & women's basketball) and Rentschler Field (football). Both are managed by Madison Square Garden. Both denied me entrance with my camera - once because 'no professional cameras are allowed' and a couple of times because 'no lenses longer than 85mm' are allowed. Before the football season started I called UConn to ask why. I was told it was an MSG rule. When I called MSG I was told UConn didn't know what they were talking about, it is an NCAA rule. I made sure to get everyone's name I had spoken to. Then I called the NCAA. They have no rule against photography from the stands except for the championship football game. Then I called about 8 very big time college football schools to ask about bringing a big lens in & shooting from the stands. NOT ONE objected. Then I wrote a letter to Jeff Hathaway the AD at UConn. The result is ANYONE can bring any camera / lens into Rentschler or the HCC. I still get stopped 1/2 the time when I go to Hartford but I get routed to 'guest services' & waved right in. btw they have their new regs posted on the HCC website (flash is even allowed) its just that none of the security people seem to know it.

JustinL
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
So if I want to bring my glass (20D w/ 70-200 lens) to the HCC for a Wolfpack game I'd probably have to go a different route huh? I know what you mean when you say "none of the security people seem to know it" -- you're right. I asked one guy the type of camera allowed and I got the following response:
"nothing with a lens longer than 50mm"

Sounds to me like they're just making up #'s

convergent
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I think that ignorance is the best explanation of what these arenas do. The guards take the "cover their butt" approach and probably figure its better to be too careful, than too loose. The last problem I had at the local arena here was at a Harlem Globetrotters event, of all things. We ended up sitting about 20 rows back in chairs, so it was a horrible place to take pictures from anyways... but they told me I couldn't use my 70-200 lens from there. Meanwhile, there were people seated in chairs that were about 10' back from the baseline (very close up, not at all the way they arrange chairs for a real game), who were firing away with point and shoot cameras with flash. Much ado about nothing is what it boils down to.

I applaud what Jerry did... to go to that extent for your rights was admirable. I don't think I would have tried that hard. I'm not sure it would work in all arenas however, since they can always just say its their blanket policy. Our arena's policy (in Albany) is essentially no cameras are allowed... then they relax it when they feel like it, depending on who and what is playing. So if you get to the gate and they say "no", then they are in compliance with their policy. They all seem to have the old "professional camera" argument, which is ridiculous.

jerry@molaver.org
01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
[quote=convergentI don't think I would have tried that hard. I'm not sure it would work in all arenas however, since they can always just say its their blanket policy. Our arena's policy (in Albany) is essentially no cameras are allowed... then they relax it when they feel like it, depending on who and what is playing. So if you get to the gate and they say "no", then they are in compliance with their policy. They all seem to have the old "professional camera" argument, which is ridiculous.[/quote]

You are absolutely right it probably won't work in many cases BUT this is the University of Connecticut and Rentschler Field is a state owned facility. As I said in my letter to the AD a state school and a state facility - why can't I take photographs. btw he called me at home the next evening to tell me he agreed with everything I had written him. He called back just before the 1st game to tell me the policy had changed & they had modeled it after the NY Yankee policy (I shot with the 300 from my seat in Yankee Stadium also). Basically you can bring in anything except a support as long as it doesn't interfere with any other fan - the 400 is out :)

convergent
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Um yeh... unless you are Arnold Schwartinager, the 400 is definitely out.