PDA

View Full Version : Color management with dual monitor configuration

convergent
01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I know that some of you run dual monitors and I am just trying it for the first time today. I have a 20" LCD I've been running for a while, and I had to buy a new video card when mine died. The new one supports two monitors, so I pulled my old 19" NEC out of mothballs and have the two sitting side by side now. This is way cool.

Now, the problem. Spyder2 doesn't seem to work for calibrating the second monitor. The odd thing is, that if I bring up Pantone's Profile Chooser, then it actual brings up a separate dialog on each monitor, and I can actually pick a separate profile for the second monitor. The one I did for that monitor back when I ran it is still on my computer, so I was able to choose it. The problem is that it is for a different video card so it needs to be redone. I wonder if there is a way that I can get Spyder2 to calibrate the other monitor, because once it does it I seem to be able to choose it, although I'll probably have to manually do it each reboot.

Also, how do you guys layout Photoshop with two monitors... Is it just a matter of dragging stuff to each monitor and maximizing the image on one, and tools on the other... or how else can you do it?

Thanks for the tips.

Orgnoi1
01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Because I run like monitors it really isnt too big of a deal.. keep them the same configurations and then they are fairly close to the same... I also run one program per monitor... so since I run PSP8 and PS CS simultaniously I can see what the effects are using both programs at once...

convergent
01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Interesting idea... you would come up with one that would cost me more money! :) :) :)

I should have bought two LCDs when I got the one I have... but I didn't, and I don't think you can get it any longer. I'll have to watch Ebay.

Hey, do you have a monitor switch? I have a NAS box running that I occaisionally need to check with a monitor, but I don't want to leave on on it all the time. I'm looking for something cheap that would work with Windows or Linux, and be able to switch by keyboard command... would be nice to switch keyboard/mouse as well.

Orgnoi1
01-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I havea physical KVM thats 8 ports rack mount... I had gotten it off eBay for around $125 if I remember right... runs physical cables to each tower... and then you can switch off the front.. it runs KB, Mouse, and Monitor

convergent
01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
The other problem I will now have is that I opted for the video card that had one VGA port and one DVI port... instead of the one with two DVI ports... so I'm guessing that the color management may differ between analog and digital on the same monitors... I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Its what I get for diving into something without thinking through it.

Orgnoi1
01-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Thats what I have... the only thing that you can physically notice is refresh speeds are incredibly different... but as you have seen with my 2 LCDs the picture I have across them is the same coloration... but I can definately notice when I boot and refresh the screen which comes up first...

Holland_patrick
01-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I would guess to do all your photo work on the calabrated one and all your tools on the second one