PDA

View Full Version : Must be the week for problems...

TomNanos
01-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Mike's been battling with Windows. Well, I just hit one tonight. For some reason my webserver locked up. So I cycled the power, and when it booted up, it refused to mount the RAID-5 array. Long story short, the superblock on each drive in the array was shot. Everything on the array is gone - unfortunatley data integrity isn't something RAID protects against - only hardware faults. Yep, I've got a backup, but it's about a month old. Oh, well. At least it's a starting point. I'll be filling in the holes over the next few days, so if you see a post by me with a missing picture, hang in there...it'll be back... :D

Back to restoring files...

-Tom

convergent
01-11-2007, 02:07 AM
That stinks pretty badly... I did finally like a problem thats been haunting my main photog workstation for months... if not longer. I can't believe it was a video card gone bad... never would have guessed that. But, I've run great all day now. I'm so glad I didn't do a total rebuild, as that would have taken forever.

stoneylonesome
01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Well that SUCKS! but it reminds me I better to a back-up on my web site, it's been about a month or more. So at least thanks for the reminder. :D

TomNanos
01-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it does suck, but at least I've got a starting point. And I've got all the missing processed images on my image processing PC. I'll be chipping away at it when I get a chance here at work - good thing they allow outbound ssh connections, I can get to my entire home network that way.

Just reiterates the need for a good backup strategy, even if you have fault tolerant hardware.

Thinking about this on the way into work this morning, I think this is the one weakness of software based RAID vs. a hardware RAID card. If the machine locks up during a write to the drives (which is what happened in this case - I was uploading pictures of Comet McNaught to the machine. Still have no clue why it locked up - nothing in the logs), it can hose the data on the drives. Again, something that RAID can't prevent. Corrupt data is corrupt data.

Maybe it's time to get my old RAID card working with the webserver...

zacker
01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
my laptop is still running in safe mode only...lol
good luck Tom!!