PDA

View Full Version : Copyright © 2007

Orgnoi1
01-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Dont forget while processing to change your Copyright Year to 2007!!

Happy New Years Everyone!

JustinL
01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Ross, do you send your work to the copyright bureau to make it "official"?

Orgnoi1
01-02-2007, 08:58 AM
nope...you really dont need to as copyrighting is implied... if something happens it just takes a bit more if theres a lawsuit... because you have to PROVE ownership... but since we keep all our originals I dont find too much the need...

JustinL
01-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Do you modify your image info within Photoshop as well? Or just throw the watermark on it?

Orgnoi1
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Depends on its use... for here... just the watermark.. if its going towards a publication other than the BSRM I would put the PS image info also...

JustinL
01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
time write another action. Thanks again Ross

Orgnoi1
01-02-2007, 10:27 AM
no prob Justin.. make sure you share that action for us not-so-great PS users...LOL

zacker
01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah...What he said!!
lol
Happy New Year All!!!!!

JustinL
01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
actions aren't that bad to create. I'll make one tonight sometime after I do a couple and I'll throw it on my server for you guys. Just gotta make sure it doesn't still say ©LibanoPhotos.com:D

TomNanos
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
nope...you really dont need to as copyrighting is implied... if something happens it just takes a bit more if theres a lawsuit... because you have to PROVE ownership... but since we keep all our originals I dont find too much the need...
Partly correct. Yep, copyright is automatic at the time of creation of the work, but if your copyright is ever infringed, you can only recieve actual damages - what you would have made for selling the pilfered image. When you formally register your images with the Copyright Office, you then can sue for not only actual damages, but also punative damages. That's when the big bucks start rolling in. :D ;) That's the key difference.

And I think you can do a blanket registration for one fee. I need to research it a bit more, but I think you can send in one CD chock full of images with the $45 fee and they're formally registered with the CO. I'm going to also start researching retroactive registrations - I may just throw my whole collection of keepers on a CD and register them all at once. Cheap insurance...

As for the watermark itself on the images - for the ones I post to my site, I modified the gallery software to do it automatically the first time the image is viewed. For other ones, I've got a custom brush in Photoshop set up with my signature/website URL/© notification. Hit that, pick a color, and click on the image.

And thanks for reminding me to change the date on 'em... :D

ShelleyNLP
01-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Time to make a new PS brush!

zacker
01-02-2007, 04:20 PM
i CAN MAKE AN ACTION NO PROBS ITS JUST THAT.... I DONT KNOW WHAT THE "PS IMAGE INFO" IS....LOL

JustinL
01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
i CAN MAKE AN ACTION NO PROBS ITS JUST THAT.... I DONT KNOW WHAT THE "PS IMAGE INFO" IS....LOL

You gotta go to File then File Info and fill in the screen like so:

http://libanophotos.com/06GT/file_info.jpg

Now i gotta look up how to make a brush!!!

JustinL
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
found the brush tutorial:

http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Photoshop-blog/2006/06/26/building-a-lego-bricks-photoshop-brushes-set/

zacker
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
lol..... thanks Justin!!!

lukaitis9
01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I copyright register all of my images 4 times a year. You can register unpublished work at anytime but I believe it is only 90 days for published work. Check out sportsshooter.com, there are numerous threads on there about it. The key to registering your work is the ability to sue for damaged, plus you'll have no problem getting an intellectual property attorney to take the case. As I understand it, registering the work makes it an open and shut case. It is well worth the time and money. There is also no limit on the amount of images you can register at one time for the same fee. I will post a very informative link when I get home tonight for you all to read regarding the proper way of submitting the forms and work.
-Scott

lukaitis9
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Here is a great link for copyright info.

http://www.sethresnick.com/photographersonly/copyrightregister.html