PDA

View Full Version : Hockey tips?

TomNanos
12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
OK, now that I've got an f/2.8 tele, I'm going to shoot my wife's nephew's hockey game (high school level) this Saturday. I'm planning on shooting mostly at ISO 1600 and wide open to keep the shutter speeds high. I'll be primarily using the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, but will have my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and maybe even the nifty fifty. Any tips? If all goes well, I should also be shooting from the bench, so I shouldn't have the glass to contend with.

Thanks!
Tom

JustinL
12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
shooting from the bench? yea, watch your head. pucks WILL fly towards you. Meter the ice... i think you know that. You should be fine!!

Orgnoi1
12-28-2006, 06:00 PM
well since you shoot raw I wont bother to tell you to take a custom WB... but definately meter the arena... and watch out... Mike has shot youth hockey... so when he gets on he can give you a bunch of pointers... I know that 200mm is good focal length..

convergent
01-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Tom, a little late on the resonse, but here's my input. For hockey rinks, f/2.8 is usually OK, but it depends. Some of them are a little darker. You'll need at least 1/400s to get good stop action. You should be able to set a custom WB off the ice. Just make sure you pick a spot that is representative of most of the ice, and not in a glare spot. I don't set exposure that way, however. I usually set it manually for good skin tones... which is a little trial and error deal looking around the rink... or using a meter of course. Point is that it will vary around the floor.

You won't need the short zoom... so you can pretty much leave it in the bag until after the game for the team picture. A 70-200 will do pretty well for mid rink activity. Action in front of the goal, the 200 is going to be a bit short. The Sigma 120-300 is a great lens for hocky, although its focus speed isn't astounding.

TomNanos
01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mike!

Never made it to the game - too busy buying a new car! ;) Next time my wife's nephew is playing one of the rinks in the area, I'll hit it and give it a whirl.

Thanks
Tom