PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent SanDisk II Warning

convergent
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I just recieved this as an alert through PPSNYS:

Ken was at a photography meeting last evening and one of the members was having a problem with a media card that he recently purchased. It was a SanDisk II. When he notified SanDisk of the problem, he was asked for the serial number. There was no serial number on the card. It seems that there are some cards out there that are not from SanDisk, but have the SanDisk label. They do not function properly and valuable files could be lost. Please check your cards to be sure they have serial numbers and that they are really from SanDisk.

zacker
12-18-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah there is a pretty big black market on the web in places like ebay... cheap cards with actuall lables on em that are just pirated cards.... alot of guys buy em up too because they are getting 2 gig cards less than half price..lol makes you wonder why? if you know something costs like 200 bucks, why would you consider buying a few for like 25 bucks each? you know they are either corrupt or black market!!! I stick with store bought for stuff like this. Wayyy better to be able to bring it back and raise hell than to loose out on my hard earned cashola!!

convergent
12-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I have bought several dozen memory cards from NewEgg, and had a great price and great service. Their SanDisk cards come in the blisterpack which I'm sure a fraudster wouldn't go to the trouble of using.

CruzinGirl
12-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I have actually picked up some off name cards at walmart and places this christmas season....not CF cards, only SD cards for my Canon S3 IS camera. Since it takes videos up to 1g I figured it would be good to have them on hand, but I also have the receipt in case one doesn't work too.

I have heard a lot of good things about newegg.com from friends who have ordered things from there....seems to be on the up and up.