PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder to Screen Your Action Pictures

convergent
12-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I have not had this happen... yet... but I'm sure it will eventually. When taking action pictures, you often catch a moment in time that may reveal something that you might not otherwise ever notice when watching things in real time. I've had some close calls, particularly in girls sports... but thus far the shadows have been my friend. When the clothing didn't appropriately cover things, the shadows did. I've never heard of a photographer being sued like this, and I can't imagine how it made it through all the editorial stages... but I guess its possible. I've got several schools that I'm shooting for and with today's technology, I can upload my images directly to the yearbook editing system online. This means that if I don't check them, its possible that a yearbook editor might use the small thumbnails and grab a picture without looking closely at it. Just check your images and delete anything that is questionable... this is trouble that no one needs. I can't imagine that it would be easy to get future work as a youth sports photographer if you had something like this happen.

http://www.overlawyered.com/2006/07/upset_at_photo_sues_high_schoo.html

Orgnoi1
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Someone let the snake out of the cage... ROFL

zacker
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
lol Ross... now thats funny..

JustinL
12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Wow Ross, Craig is getting to you huh? Good one.

Anyone remember the Girls VB team pics from CCSU (Central CT State Univ) that made it around the web last year? I'm all set with shooting that sport

nvr2low
12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
its amazing what people will do to try and get that free dollar!

Orgnoi1
12-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I've never heard of a photographer being sued like this, and I can't imagine how it made it through all the editorial stages... but I guess its possible.

I would have to counter-sue for emotional damages...LOL

nvr2low
12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I would have to counter-sue for emotional damages...LOL

that or lawyer fees and time wasted, haha

stoneylonesome
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Of course on the other hand if he was shall we say 'proud packing' we would never have heard about this, No lawsuit, lots of dates. :doh :D :D

convergent
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Wow Ross, Craig is getting to you huh? Good one.

Anyone remember the Girls VB team pics from CCSU (Central CT State Univ) that made it around the web last year? I'm all set with shooting that sport

What pictures are you talking about... was there something revealing posted for CCSU?

JustinL
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
it wasn't revealing, but the pics weren't resized.... and the shots taken weren't of the sport, but the girls and their "uniforms" so to speak

convergent
12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
OK, I know what you are talking about then. Girls volleyball and gymnastics have a certain element that brings out the worst in people. Its funny because my daughter's team, who I posted pictures of through this season, still has the old style baggy uniforms. When she started playing, they weren't the only team... but now they are. They are planning to get more "current" uniforms next year but I think they are going to try and find something that is kind of in between that and spandex. I've seen a few teams that had a spandex like material that fit snuggly, but wasn't painted on them. The good thing about spandex is that nothing is going to be showing that isn't showing when you start... where the baggy uniforms have the problem that started this thread. What I've seen is that most of the girls and guys now wear something like underarmor underneath their uniform which protects them in many ways. I like it because I can then shoot away without being concerned about this kind of stuff. I think that there is still a group of young ladies, however, that are going to want to flirt and tease... causing them to be very revealing in the way they dress. This is a hazard of the job and something that can be rather annoying. I had a couple of shots last night that I tossed, not because anything was showing... but because at a glance it looked like there was (shadows saved the day), and I don't want there to be any hint of a problem in my sports images.