PDA

View Full Version : Computer Literacy... or Lack There Of

convergent
11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
I am in the process of building a home media network and came across something that was too funny not to share. A home media network is basically one or more storage devices that archive music, images, and movies, and then allow them to be streamed to one or more media players. Storage devices could be a PC, a network storage device (NAS), an internet site, etc. Players could be a PC running XP Media Center Edition, a modded XBox running XBox Media Center (XBMC), a dedicated player, etc.

So there was a thread started in the XBMC user forum asking for help in streaming videos from a PC to an XBMC. The user was referred to the online user manual with an article titled... "How to stream video from your PC to an XBMC.". ;) Then the original poster came back and said this....

Okay, I can now stream video to my XBOX but now there's another problem.. I can't stream video when my PC is turned off. It asks me for a name and password to the folder, which I don't know how to give it. How do I get around this?

With much, much, restraint... another person posted...

You can't stream from your PC when your PC is turned off? Imagine that!

Followed by this reply from the original poster...

Well, that f***ing useless. No point in watching video on my Xbox if my PC has to be on.. might as well just watch it on the d**n computer monitor.

And the rebutal...

I think you are useless. How do you expect to stream from your PC when your PC is off? Does your monitor on your PC work to watch videos when your PC is off? Doubtful.. Unless somehow you've sprayed some magic fairy dust on your PC that allows it to work when no power is going to it.

All I can say is WOW!

I know people sometimes don't think through what they are trying to do and end up trying something that logically doesn't make sense... but is there really someone out there that thinks a PC can stream data off its drive while its turned off?

zacker
11-30-2006, 03:09 PM
REMINDS ME OF THAT OLD EMAIL JOKE ABOUT THE WOMAN/GUY calling the gateway customer care center... calls and says the computer isnt working so the care guys askes if any of the lights on the front are on, caller says no, care guy askes him to push the power button and tell him what it does, caller says "nothing" care guy askes if its plugged in and the caller says he caNT TELL CAUSE ITS TOO DARK IN THE OFFIC.. the care guy asks why its too dark and the caller says the lights are out because of a power outage.. so the care guy says.. "ok, here's what you do.. Box up the computer and everything that came with it and send t back to us... you too stupid to own a computer.
lol..

convergent
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Even apparantly non-techie things can bring out the non-geek in people. I was riding down I-87 with a co-worker one day, probably about 70 miles south of Albany. While adjusting something the car, the driver accidentally activated their garage door opener. She looked at me in a panic and asked, "Now what am I going to do? I can't see if the door is opened or closed? Should I hit it gain?". No kidding... she thought her door opener would open the door from 70 miles away!

Orgnoi1
11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
LOL I was laughing real hard when I read this... so I had to show my IT techie boss... who got a kick out of it also....LOL

zacker
11-30-2006, 06:38 PM
i once jumped in the car with what I thought was my cell phone, only to get halfway to Walmart and find out it was the cordless Phone to the house...lol

stoneylonesome
11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
All I can say Mike is, Thanks for not using my NAME. :roll:roll:roll

Only kidding, never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people can be. Well maybe not dumb but just the fact they never bother to take the time to think things through. Say can you send me you burnt out light bulbs, I'm making my self a darkroom. :happy :happy

TomNanos
11-30-2006, 11:00 PM
This is a great story Mike! Let me tell you, I've dealt with these people when I was on the help desk, and I'm dealing with some of them now. And I'm talking about people who are PhDs and they don't have a clue!

JustinL
12-01-2006, 06:09 AM
i once jumped in the car with what I thought was my cell phone, only to get halfway to Walmart and find out it was the cordless Phone to the house...lol

can i put this in my sig?:evil

convergent
12-01-2006, 08:13 AM

My wife has done that while talking on the phone... got in the car and drove off while in the middle of a conversation. She knows it won't work, but forgot it was the house phone and not her cell phone. She's solved that problem though. Last month she had a little over 2700 minutes on her cellphone.... Solution - Use the cellphone for everything!