PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from Network Storage Problems

convergent
11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
As some of you know, I've been using the SimpleShare network storage boxes (NAS). They allow you to attache a USB drive (SimpleDrive in this case) to create a RAID1 mirror. Well that's great, but I have yet to figure out what you do to recover from a failure. The drives are formatted with some funky Linux file system that can't be read from a Windows computer, so the USB mirror is kind of ... umm... ???? If you mount a USB mirror drive to a new SimpleShare, it will automatically re-mirror it to the SimpleShare contents. I'm sure there has to be a way to deal with this, but its not anywhere in the documentation.

To make a long story short, I have 3 pairs of these things that are pretty full. I just bought a much more robust NAS... Infrant ReadNAS NV+ which can hold up to 4 hot-swapppable 750GB SATA drives. I currently have 3x500GB Seagate Baracuda drives in a RAID5 array. Being a 1GB machine, it is much faster than the SimpleShare. My plan was to just migrate all my SimpleShare storage over to this guy, and I'd consume about half of the nearly 1TB of storage initially, but can add a 4th drive in the future to grow the array. With the ReadyNAS, I know that if a drive fails, I can just pop it out (hot swappable) and replace it. I can't conceive of how I'd do that with the SimpleShare at this point.

Well, one of my SimpleShares is dying and I am hopeful I'll get everything off before it dies. It goes out to lunch and hangs every few minutes of copying... so I have to keep powering it off and on, and then retrying my copies. This gets tedious since it only makes it a few hundred MB of storage without hanging, and so I need to move files instead of folders. I've been at it for hours, and will be at it all day today probably. Ughh.... Most of my 2006 images are on this thing.

convergent
11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I think I am just going to squeak by on this one. I've been at it all day and almost done. Its now taking 3-4 times to get the thing to respond when powering off/on... and I'm only getting about 50 files at a time before it dies again. Fortunately I had a backup on DVD from September or I'd be hosed. That got me 3/4 of the stuff, and the rest I'm hacking through a little at a time. I've only got a few hundred files left, and the tedious part is comparing folder by folder to make sure nothing was missed. Man this stinks.

Ambiguity
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
As some of you know, I've been using the SimpleShare network storage boxes (NAS). They allow you to attache a USB drive (SimpleDrive in this case) to create a RAID1 mirror. Well that's great, but I have yet to figure out what you do to recover from a failure. The drives are formatted with some funky Linux file system that can't be read from a Windows computer, so the USB mirror is kind of ... umm... ???? If you mount a USB mirror drive to a new SimpleShare, it will automatically re-mirror it to the SimpleShare contents. I'm sure there has to be a way to deal with this, but its not anywhere in the documentation.

To make a long story short, I have 3 pairs of these things that are pretty full. I just bought a much more robust NAS... Infrant ReadNAS NV+ which can hold up to 4 hot-swapppable 750GB SATA drives. I currently have 3x500GB Seagate Baracuda drives in a RAID5 array. Being a 1GB machine, it is much faster than the SimpleShare. My plan was to just migrate all my SimpleShare storage over to this guy, and I'd consume about half of the nearly 1TB of storage initially, but can add a 4th drive in the future to grow the array. With the ReadyNAS, I know that if a drive fails, I can just pop it out (hot swappable) and replace it. I can't conceive of how I'd do that with the SimpleShare at this point.

Well, one of my SimpleShares is dying and I am hopeful I'll get everything off before it dies. It goes out to lunch and hangs every few minutes of copying... so I have to keep powering it off and on, and then retrying my copies. This gets tedious since it only makes it a few hundred MB of storage without hanging, and so I need to move files instead of folders. I've been at it for hours, and will be at it all day today probably. Ughh.... Most of my 2006 images are on this thing.

There are some Linux distributions you can use to boot directly from the CD/DVD and run the OS (without having to install anything). Then you could try to mount the drive and copy the data. (The Linux distros have a graphical interface so it's not like you'd have to do it all command line.

convergent
11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
There are some Linux distributions you can use to boot directly from the CD/DVD and run the OS (without having to install anything). Then you could try to mount the drive and copy the data. (The Linux distros have a graphical interface so it's not like you'd have to do it all command line.

Well, thankfully I won't have to do that. I think the file system is not even a standard Linux varient, but I could probably eventually get it to work like you said... however, I'd probably have to disassemble the drive and install it in my PC to have a shot. After a whole day shot at tedious file copies and directory compares, I now have just shy of 90K image files safely on the new NAS. I'll probably do a DVD backup of the whole thing tomorrow while I'm working... as a disaster recovery backup.

I now have to move all my non image files which are on another SimpleShare which is working fine.

convergent
11-19-2006, 11:50 PM
One thing I want to say here... there isn't anything wrong with the SimpleShare solution... it has served me well. The drive that is giving me trouble, and which now has been retired, took a flight off a 6' high shelf onto the floor while it was working. That is most likely the cause of the problem, although it was quite a while ago when it happened. For the money, and simplicity, they are great. The one mystery I'm going to check into though, is how you actually recover from a bad drive in their RAID1 configuration. I'm sure there is a way.

My needs have changed and the more robust NAS is what I need. I'll try to post some comparison pictures and differences after I get comfortable with the new one.