PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know where to store them HOW??

Holland_patrick
11-08-2006, 06:10 PM
How do you guys store your photos??

Most of mine still have criptic names and the assigned folders from the camera.. except the big folder that says

ALL PHOTO

then it's just a ham hash of stuff..

:badpc :matrix

Orgnoi1
11-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Mine go in per date and inside by each camera... as I do proofs or post pictures the ones I use get moved up one folder as they get processed... that way when scanning the folders I can see what "type" of pictures are in each dates folder.

zacker
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
all the shots that go on my site get a copy put into a folder thats labeled with my sites name and i keep a copy of that folder on the desktop and another in my external HD which i back up every month or so, all others go back into the orig down load floder but i name them then it goes on the external and from there i take the shots out and put em into corresponding folders... pets, animals, vacations, flowers and gardens, house, hikes...stuff like that!

convergent
11-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a standard "roll" like storage approach I'm using at present. Each time I come from a "shoot", I load them together. I first drag and drop my standard roll folder template into one of my picture storage shares. This standard template just has a few folders like, RAW, FINE, WORKING, and a few other little things I use. I change this from time to time. Once I drop it, I rename it from "New Folder" to "Roll-xxx-08NOV06-DescriptionOfShoot"... with "xxx" being a sequential number that I assign as my roll number. Whether I have 20 cards of images, or just 1, I use the same approach with all cards from a shoot comprising one roll. As long as I haven't shot more than 9999 images from one camera, this works fine (we've come close to that problem a few times). That is it for now.

Once I get my new NAS implemented, I'm going to be looking for a better networked solution. The problem I have is that all the tools I normally use are stand alone applications that don't let me maintain libraries across multiple PCs on a network... or at least I've not looked into doing it. I basically use just Windows XP folders and Irfanview to find images, then pull them into Photoshop to edit.

I have 3 seats of Express Digital's Darkroom, but I can't use that on my home computer, as its just too expensive for that purpose... and way to complicated for my family to use for viewing images. PhotoMechanic does what I want, but its also a bit complicated and I don't think it networks well. The Adobe stuff is just dog slow, but I'm hoping their new product will improve on this for library management. I may have to suck it up and go to IViewMediaPro at some point.

TomNanos
11-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Mine are divided up by DVD (approx 4GB per folder), then in each DVD folder, by date, with a description of the photos in the folder name. Something like this:

http://www.nanosphoto.com/filing.jpg