PDA

View Full Version : Image Storage? What do you do to keep your images safe?

Orgnoi1
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
I am curious as to what everyone does to keep their images safe from computer crashes. Do you have a method to the madness?

Lets face it, Trish and I take a LOT of shots... more than maybe 80% of photographers out there... because we are out day to day shooting. We have come to this following method...

Upload to image server (basically a computer with large farmed HDDs for storage) into the Non-Disk Archived Folder.

Once a month the images from that folder get backed up onto DVD-Rs and put in a locked cabinet. The newly archived images then get moved to another folder called Disk-Archived.

When the drives get full (as they are close to most of the time) then we start by removing the last couple months of Archived data. This wont happen as much for a while as we have redundant uploads at both locations to 500gb drives.

I could only imagine what I would feel like if one of the drives crapped out and we had no backups... it would be catastrophic..:doh

zacker
10-30-2006, 07:58 PM
i upload to my site so now i have full rez images on the net pending a crash on my end, those that dont makie it to the site go on my external drive along with all the shots for my site.. now, as lazy as i am, i know i need to put all those on cds or dvd's ... i gotta get off my but and do that! wish i had one of the huge dells we have at work.. damn them things have a TON of memory!!

stoneylonesome
10-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Well Lazy me downloads to my computer than when I get around to it, this is the lazy part, I copy them to my external drive, and than burn to DVD which I don't fully trust, what I have to do is remember to keep a copy of my web site back up on my external. To much to do and to much to remember.:doh

convergent
10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
I use SimpleTech SimpleShare network attached drives ( http://www.simpletech.com/commercial/products/simpleshare.html ) with a SimpleTech SimpleDrive ( http://www.simpletech.com/commercial/products/simpledriveexternal.html ) attached to each one. The SimpleShare is very easy to setup. You attach it to your network switch and then create a share using the menu. Its then accessible by any network attached machine. Once you attach the SimpleDrive to it, you can easily set it up as a mirror. Performance is very good with this setup, and EVERYTHING is mirorred. I've got four pairs going at this point, and just add a new pair whenever they get full. I've been going through and making DVD backups periodically as another layer of backup. I actually have my My Documents on my workstation redirected to one of these shares. Because I use several different PCs, this setup works quite well so far.... and it's "Simple" to setup. I've been looking for a low cost alternative with gigabit network capability, but this far haven't found anything. Iomega makes a consumer gigabit network drive, but it doesn't allow mirroring... and, the reviews on it rate it no faster than the 100 Mb drives that I already have. There is no lag for the mirroring, by the way, as its done over a USB2 connection between the drives, and is done in the background.

blairblaiss
10-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I keep my images on both internal and external drives (the external one is a copy of the internal one) and also I write them periodically to DVDs. But I must admit, I do not photograph quite as proficiently as Orgnoi1.

Oh, and I invest in high-grade computer hardware (Apple workstation, Seagate SATA drives), so I am hoping that the crash will never occur in the first place... :rolleyes:

lukaitis9
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
I upload each event to my smugmug site and create 2 discs of them. One disc goes to Washington DC with my copyright registration information and the other goes into a secure cabinet. Smugmug can also reproduce my files for me if I ever need them.