PDA

View Full Version : pocket wizards too expensive?? lookie here!

zacker
10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
http://www.alienbees.com/rft1.html

we dont need no stinkin pocket wizards!!!
lol actuakky these look pretty cool and check out the cost!

Orgnoi1
10-20-2006, 08:12 PM
They look cool and super cheap... doesnt look like there is any way to rig it for anything other than ABs

convergent
10-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Actually, I think they should work with other strobes, although you may need to buy an adapter cable to get the connection. There are many different connectors used on the different strobes. With Pocket Wizards you have to buy a cable anyways, so this is really no different. I think it was a poor design on the part of AB to make the cable part of the slave unit. Cables wear out and get broken, so when that happens you'll have to toss out the whole slave, rather than just replacing the cable. The AC passthrough is a very nice feature. Having to put batteries in the slaves is a major pain and something that can kill you during a shoot. If you are hanging the strobes in an arena, now you can just hang these and not worry about it. With PWs, you need to worry about the batteries. What would be even better than this is if they just added the wireless feature into the strobe itself... or just made it a plug in card like the PW card for a Sekonic meter.

zacker
10-21-2006, 12:00 PM
i always wondered that Mike, why not just put it in the strobe?? i mean, yeah, youd have to buy the external wirless device but they can also just raise the price of the strob to compensate.. seems strange.. also, why dont canon flashes have the PC port on the side of the flash like the Nikons? that is also a major drawback! ( iuse the nikon SB-25 as one of my ghetto lights, it works great!

convergent
10-21-2006, 12:21 PM
One word... PROPRIETARY. This stuff isn't rocket science, but each company seems to want to hang on to their market by not being open. If you look at a lot of the strobes... the technology hasn't hardly changed at all in the last 15-20 years. They have newer plastic cases and fancier stickers... but the underlying strobe is still pretty much the same stuff. There are a few companies that are pushing the envelope a little, but most of them are in the dark ages (no pun intended). A wireless strobe trigger is just that... one pulse to tell it to fire. We can't get much more basic than that. Why not an open standard for this? Why not a standard connector for the wires so that they could all play nice together if you mix and match? If PocketWizard were smart, they'd license their brand and protocol and sell it to all the camera and strobe makers with possibly even some low cost hardware to integrate it in there. I would love to be able to buy a camera with PW built in. What remains to be a product that I think would sell well is a small battery powered strobe with built-in PW capability and a built in ballhead and superclamp. This would be a product that I think would sell very well. To put that together with parts is about $1000 a pop. For them to make one, they could probably sell them at around $500 and still make a lot of money. For any mobile setup, it would be a great deal.