PDA

View Full Version : "Crossroads" Critique

Orgnoi1
10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
This picture was taken in the Palmer, Ma train yard. Conditions were partly cloudy, and the sun was going down.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/2006_10_18-R-Critique01.jpg

Canon 1D Mark II
Sigma Bigma 50-500mm @ 500mm
ISO400
1/160sec
f/9

convergent
10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Its a nice shot, but I think the compression effect (at 500mm) is a bit too much to get the best composition. I think this would have been a better composition if you used a wider angle lens, which would have allowed you to get the crossing more down into the lower right part of the picture... and get more of the protruding upper right rails converging a little. This would also introduce a little more of the foilage in the top of the frame. Of course, that's a different picture ... and you may not have been able to get close enough to take that shot.

Exposure looks a little under... I tried bumping it up a little in levels and it seemed to respond pretty well. Also, a little hit on saturation brings out some of the color in the foilage at the top of the frame.

Looks like you did pretty well for conditions though, and of course all my comments are personal taste types of things. Thanks for sharing.

zacker
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
i like it but as you may well no, I am not a huge fan of the rules of thirds, esp for this type of almost abstract shot.. if the crossing were centered in the frame, at an angle so the tracks sorta led awya twords the corners, it might be a cool shot..but then again, I cant really say.. this is the type of shot that prolly wouldnt see the light of day if i did it, not because its not good but because I'd never be settled on one crop that i liked.. on second thought, maybe with the crosssing down in the lower left corner..Hmmm its an interesting shot ross, to say the least..

blairblaiss
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
I have to agree with zacker. Rules of thirds indeed do not apply very well for this type of shot because the subject itself becomes the "ruler"...

To me, this particular composition brings hints of religious symbolism most of all, even though I am not a religious person myself and I know that the railroad tracks have little to do with religion (although I also know that for some people, railroad is their religion :) ).

I do have a similar shot in my archive (not the railroad tracks, though) and, like zacker, I wouldn't let it see the light of the day - for the same reason. I would have spent entire afternoon trying to get just the right composition, perspective and cropping and I still wouldn't be satisfied.

Back to Ross' picture. I think, I would look at this scene from an entirely different perspective - exactly for the purpose of avoiding religious connotations (unless that was the purpose of this picture). Perhaps I would try to bring out more graphic, 2-dimentional look of the subject, but that's just an idea of a person that was not involved in this particular project...