PDA

View Full Version : you asked for it Farmer B&W this time

zacker
10-17-2006, 10:10 PM
http://zacker.smugmug.com/photos/103406541-L.jpg

here it is, the raw file, converted to b&W with levels, cropped, some light burning and dodging and some Highlight and shadow adjusting.. and Tris, good call on the cropping but that damned chair..lol

AgandAu
10-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I am a big fan of black and white so more often than not I favor the Black and white so it's no big surprise that I think this is great. I love how he stands out and the one cows face is so clear. I don't miss the blur at all, just my opinion, but I like it.

zacker
10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
thanks. not enough pop for me, I dunno..... lol i wish i had more time with this shot, would have liked to frame in better but was shooting the 50MM and you get what you get i guess. that 17-40 is never coming off my camera...ever..lol

CruzinGirl
10-18-2006, 08:21 AM
for some reason teh b&w's posted in teh other thread weren't so dark....the lights are a little too light for me and the darks a little too dark in this one....maybe if you play with the lighting levels again before converting it to b&w, but I do like the color version better....it gave in a better "glow" effect that I think portrayed the mood better.

zacker
10-18-2006, 08:53 AM
see, to me, the whole focus of the shot is the farmer, i dont really care too much for whats going on in the BG.. sorta like a photojournalistic shot. i look at this and cant help but think of what the poor guys been through, prolly slept in his truck for the two weeks, misses his family, didnt even win a prize.. either that or he's thinking, "Never again, Im never drinking Jägermeister ever again!!
lol

Like I said, Im not crazy about B&W unless its a portrait or a spooky shot..
thanks all.

meyankee
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
I too am not "into" black and white photos, I do like to color version better. The farmer does seem to be dejected maybe saying "All this time and effort for what?" :happy

blairblaiss
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I like the graphic, almost posterized effect. One thing I would probably try to change is to get rid of a very distracting light elements in the upper left corner.

zacker
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
yeah, the light coming in the windows is aggrevating to say the least!

ATVinBarbie
10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I like it.... both the farmer AND the cow's face/head are highlighted..... to me... interpreting it as.... they're BOTH thinking the same thing.... "<sigh> what a week..." "Now the long haul home"

:)

Teresa221
10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
What was the tech info on this shot?

I think the image just has to many technical issues to be effective. The farmer is just too hot (as in, blown out - not sexy!). The background is murky and flat. As much as the farmer is the focal point, I still don't like that you lose so much of the story in the background. Maybe a fill flash would have helped with the exposure issue?

The composition and subject matter are very good!

zacker
10-31-2006, 04:14 PM
teresa, you dont think the farmer is sexy?? your just being too picky with your men...lol,lol,lol.. seriously, im not too fond of the harsh light but i guess with this type shot its what you see is what you get, this could have been an awesome shot! As far as the BG goes, there was nothing there but a huge overhead door and a chair off to the left.. if id'a thought more at the time i would have shot with a shallow DOF and just blurred it all out. to me the story is in the tired old guy and his cows..
thanks for the input, it really does help!