PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not happy with this?

Neutron Jack
10-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Something's missing (other than the horses feet) but I can't figure out what. I should be happy for the most part, but other than the obvious items of to much zoom and blocked jockey's face, it just doesn't seem to be "getting it done". Any thoughts? Is it the crappy background? or something else?
Jack

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/6/6/4/IMG_2138as.jpg

stoneylonesome
10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Overall not bad, what I think is really missing and would have had much more impact, is if you had a lower shot to enclude the horeses hoofs and been able to see them in the air. Less area above more horse.

Neutron Jack
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
yeah, thats what I meant by too much zoom--too tight on the flesh

Stiger
10-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Since you have "image editing" set to yes, I just had to play around a bit with this shot.

I like the shot and didn't think it needed much done to it. I just made a little change out of curiosity. First a levels adjustment. Then a major noise reduction on the distant background to blur it just a little more.

http://www.systekonline.com/upload/files/41/Horse%20Race.jpg

Orgnoi1
10-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Overall I like the composition of the shot... and dont feel that having the horses hooves in it will help that... really the only thing I can think of off the cuff is that with the background light it is causing the image to seem over exposed. Maybe adding a little bit of contrast may help. Stiger definately helped by smoothing up the background a bit though... that adds to the pull towards the horses with your eyes...

convergent
10-18-2006, 07:44 AM
I haven't done a lot of horse shots, so I will caution my comments in the fact that I really don't know what "sells" for horse shots. I side with Ross in that cutting off some limbs isn't necessarily a bad thing, however, it does matter how many are cut, and where they are cut. Generally you don't like to cut liimbs off at or near a joint. While the horse in the foreground doesn't seem to break that rule, the ones behind it do, and I think that's effecting the overall feel of the picture. You were already shooting at the widest aperture available, f/2.8, so there wasn't anything you could do in that case... given the location of the shot. I took a slightly tighter crop to get off the neck joint of the horse in the background and bring more focus to the riders. Certainly this cropping is totally personal preference, but this gives you an idea on how tightening might help.

The image seems a little soft to me, a little low on contrast (as Ross mentioned), and it seems to have a red cast. I looked at the RGB histogram and found that the red channel was blown worse than the others. This gives the jersey on the main rider a pink tint. I tried to correct this with Color Balance in PS CS2, not the best way to correct it but its quick. I also used Levels to introduce a little more contrast. Finally I pumped up the saturation a little and applied mild sharpening.

As far as shooting goes, you might have gotten a better look on this if they were a little further to the left so that you got more than a flat view of the horses going by... but like I said... i don't shoot horses.

All of that said, I think this is a great shot because it captures the battle of the riders for the finish, and I assume the #1 horse making a break on the outside for the finish. The emotion of the riders is what I'd want to capture in this shot.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/HorseRace2.jpg

CruzinGirl
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Actually I totally agree with Mike in cropping a bit off the right side, also I think I would crop a bit off the top....a little too much background up there that I find distracting...maybe to just about the crop that is raised on the left. Overall, its a great shot with good sharp focusing....and I would have to say that Ross is right, the feet don't matter so much in a picture. I might have brought the framing of the picture down a bit when snapping the pictures, but something like this is def off the cuff and hard to frame perfectly. So that is my suggestion....take a bit off the right, a bit off the top and maybe play with the saturation a little, other than that I think its a great shot.