PDA

View Full Version : Please Critiqe and dont be a wuss, tell me straight.

zacker
10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok, taken with the 350D and 50 f1.8 last years BigE
Dont remember what settings were used but, Im pretty sure it was TV mode, no flash ISO 100
I loved the look of the tired old farmer sleeping with the cows behind him and the early sun shining in, I was going for the "Tired old farmer" thing. Does it convey the hard work required to be a farmer? Amazingly, everyone says they love this one but it has never, eever even placed in any contests i have entered it in..
Why?
Please tell me the truth on the critqe!
http://zacker.smugmug.com/photos/54349586-L-1.jpg

Neutron Jack
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm not catching a tired vibe, more of a feeling of depression or defeat. Or maybe a bad hangover. Black and white might make that come across a little stronger. But what the hell do I know- I can barely turn my camera on, so I'm hardly qualified to judge anything more than an instamatic picture.

zacker
10-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm not catching a tired vibe, more of a feeling of depression or defeat. Or maybe a bad hangover. Black and white might make that come across a little stronger.

i never thought of that, the guy could have spent the night drunk as heck..lol i think i tried this one in B&W and it looked funny cause the lighting is really strong.

Irishpub3
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
So how do you like it.... good news first, or bad news? :D

I'll start with the things I like...
Overall affect - it's a pleasing shot and you've definitely captured a "mood"

I would have to agree with Neutron Jack - I dont see him as tired, the feeling I get is "dejected" ...maybe at his lot in life as a farmer? maybe at the days work ahead? not sure...

One of the things I love about the shot is the light streaming in from the right, it gives it a real nice quality... of course, this might also be why it doesnt shout "tired" to me, because it seems early morning at the beginning of the day - not the end of a hard day's work...

The color of the cows and the overall "softening affect" the shot has (by the way - what post processing did you use??) gives the picture a really mellow feel to it, very nice

Things I would change...

I would crop out a little on both the left and right - get rid of the partial chair on the left and the edges of something poking into the picture on the right bottom...

Aslo - did you use a cloning tool in PP? It looks like you tried to clone the hay (a little bit above where your signature is) and there's a spot right in front that looks a little funny...

zacker
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
wowo youre good... i did clone the right bottom there was a big wire or hose i believe...lol Whats funny was i think the guy was actually sleepeing..lol at least he was sitting there with his eyes closed and wasnt moving.. my god, what if he was dead?? and yes, i used a slight gaussian blurr and lowered the sharpening a bit. Thanks Trish... I never noticed the chair in the shot.. prob is, i might lose the farmers foot if i crop it...maybe ill clone it out not that i know a bit more about cloning..lol

AgandAu
10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I have to agree with Jack on this one, I would really love to see a B&W version. Sorry, I have to admit I am not a fan of the gaussian blur. How about posting a sharp black and white. It really is a great shot with interesting lighting. I can't edit anything here at work but I'd love to see it if you get a chance.

fjcallahan
10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
like i said before i love that shot. i also would like to see it in b&w

Neutron Jack
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
How about this?
Jack

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/6/6/4/zackerfarmer_a_1.jpg

Cat
10-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Wow...after reading the comments I realize what a novice I am (not that I ever doubted it). Being from farm country and going to the County Fairs I see a farmer (or 4-H member) tired, the cows are only heifers....the lighting is wonderful. I guess I have to get a more critical eye to see the post editing. I thought it was a beautiful picture in color (ok in black and white, not a big fan of B&W). I have sooo much to learn...Cat

zacker
10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
see, B&W just doesnt work for me..lol thanks for trying though.. maybe i will try it with the original, without the blur...that could be throwing it off...

Neutron Jack
10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Not to beat a dead....cow, I guess....here's no blur and a bit darker. I'm done editing now, so the world can breath a collective sigh of relief.
Jack

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/6/6/4/zackerfarmer_a_2.jpg

stoneylonesome
10-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I really like this shot Craig I think it's fine in color, BUT I tried a B&W with some darker tones which worked well, I than tried a touch of sepia toning and little tweaking in levels and a final boost of USM and this I think sets an entire different mood, what do you think?

Irishpub3
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
I really like a lot of qualities from the original shot - including the color... With Craig's permission - I did a little reprocessing (cropping, cloning) but keeping most of the overall affect of the original shot ..

Here is how I would have processed the shot... I also sharpened just a tiny bit - the gossamer blur has a nice effect - but it was just a little bit too much in some parts of the shot for me... and i cloned out the window in the back top right corner - the light coming in was a little distracting in the background...

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/5/zacker.jpg

zacker
10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
cool... sandys sepia toned and jacks B&W, just as my B&W just dont do it for me..for some reason, I think the color version gets more of the mood through.. some shots just dont work in B&W... for me at least.

Trish, you PP looks a bit better, now Im wishing i had re-done it with out the blur and just a tighter crop.. lol but Im not firing up the desk top again tonight..lol thanks guys! you all did great!

Scottes
10-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I like Irishpub's crop, but the window behind the cows still distracts me too much. Other than that window I think it's a very good shot.

zacker
10-17-2006, 10:48 PM
true, that widows getting painted over, soon..lol

CruzinGirl
10-18-2006, 08:19 AM
I think the shot was a great catch, although i think it did portray more of a depressed or overwhelmed feeling to me rather than tired. I think Trish was right, it was the morning sun that threw it off. Trish's post processing really did it justice, and I think she pointed something very valuable out. I can't speak for everyone, but I know when I am shooting I'm not always paying attention to what is in the background that can be distracting. I get so into what I'm shooting that I don't realize when there are windows that will effect the picture in the background. I agree with the tighter crop as well....losing a little of the foot is better than having too much "empty" space in the picture. By empty I mean space that is not the main focus point and either holds something distracting or just background.