PDA

View Full Version : Can you redirect the windows xp thumbnail file

convergent
10-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I have a problem that has been bugging me for some time. I store all my images on network drives that are mirrored. This works great, except for one thing. When I first open a folder with several hundred images, the computer goes into a long lag where it is trying to build the thumbnails. Since the folder is over the network, then it chews up a lot of time doing it. Likewise, Windows XP doesn't have the smarts to put this task in the background so I can't do anything with the folder until it comes back to life. In many cases, I just want to go in and double click on an image to open it... or page through them... and I have to wait.

Is there anyway in XP to force it to store the thumbnail files locally somewhere, rather than on a network drive?

TomNanos
10-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Not that I'm aware of. When you've got the thumbnail view on, and you enter the folder, Explorer looks for the thumbs.db file within the same folder. If it's not there, it creates it. If it is there, it checks to see if there's any new files in the folder that haven't been thumbnailed yet. If there are, it starts chewing away.

Unix, you'd be able to do it in a heartbeat - just create a symbolic link to the actual file on the local filesystem. Windoze, however, doesn't really support symlinks.

Only solution I can think of - gigabit ethernet! Start stringing that fiber! :D