PDA

View Full Version : a question i have been meaning to ask about RAW

zacker
10-12-2006, 09:56 PM
ok, i shot raw with the pro1, shot raw with the 350D and shot raw with my 30D.. the thing is:
A.) Microsoft raw thumbnail viewer does not read the raw files from the 30D while it works fine on the files from the 350D and pro1.

Is there another program like that? so i can have my raw files show in the folders as thumbs?

B.) My computer will not let me delete raw filse from the 30D but from the other cams, it does.. why delete raw files you ask? (lol) I save em to an external HD so then I delete the copies off my computer...

any thoughts? oh yeah, My lap top is only running in safe mode...still!

convergent
10-12-2006, 10:34 PM
You need to get that thing fixed.... Safe Mode is not good.

I don't have a clue why you can't delete the files.

Every RAW file format is proprietary, so I'm guessing you need to update your computer to be able to read RAW files from newer cameras. I don't shoot a lot of RAW so I don't know if the thumbnail viewer works on my normal files.

I guess I haven't been a lot of help here have I?

zacker
10-12-2006, 10:37 PM
lol... well you responded at least! Funny thing is, i looked for an update the the raw file viewer and cant find one, I guess Microsoft isnt up grading it..oh well, Im wondering though, why i cant delete untill i do a re- boot?

meyankee
10-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Are you getting any message when you try to delete the file?
Also a dumb question, is the camera set to protect the image?

zacker
10-13-2006, 07:21 AM
I get a message saying the file is in use.... even when its not, it says to close all programs useing it, well none are..lol funny thing is, on a re-boot, if i dont open the folder i can delete it, if i even just open the folder, it wont delete it. I have protect images off in the cam. I wish companies like canon wouldnt be so fricken stingety with stuff, they make cameras that you need a comp. to use and yet they guard the files types so you cant hardly use em... can you imagine if someone like microsoft makes it so you cant run the canon software at all on MS machines? c'mon guys, we need to work together for the greater good, satisfying the sheeple....umm people, yeah thats it!

TomNanos
10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
My bet is the Micro$oft RAW thumbnail jobbie is grabbing hold of your RAWs trying to make thumbnails. While it's reading the files, you can't delete them. Try turning that off. And since it can't read 30D RAWs yet, it's probably just sitting there, still holding the file locked, which would explain why you need to reboot to release the lock on the files (sounds like a bug - big surprise for a Microsoft product....:rolleyes:)

As for why it can't read 30D RAWs - each model's RAW is slightly different. MS will need to do an update to it so it can read the 30D files.

zacker
10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah tom, if that aint a huge inconvienince i dunno what is! Shooting raw + jpeg takes up too much room on a 1gig card and haveing to use the canon software to convert is just wrong...lol I guess ill just shoot JPEG's till someone gives and these companies decide to work together for the consumers sake!

TomNanos
10-13-2006, 09:10 AM
yeah tom, if that aint a huge inconvienince i dunno what is! Shooting raw + jpeg takes up too much room on a 1gig card and haveing to use the canon software to convert is just wrong...lol I guess ill just shoot JPEG's till someone gives and these companies decide to work together for the consumers sake!
That's why I've got 8GB of cards with me at all times... :D

I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG about a week after I got my 20D. Never used the JPEGs, and it toook too long to clear the buffer, so I've only shot RAW since. About 250GB later...... ;) :D

Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Pro) isn't that bad - have you tried it? That's what I used before I discovered Rawshooter (now defuct). And Lightroom is looking better as a replacement to Rawshooter.

zacker
10-13-2006, 09:19 AM
yeah Tom, but it was sooo much nicer, opening a folder, seeing the thumbs, clicking one and opening it in PS. Now I have to use the canon software to look at them, re-mane the ones i want so i can find em, then open in PS. Plus the MS software let you click the thumbs and see the full size image ... Another reason i hate the raw+jpegs is the HS shutter gets cut like in half!

meyankee
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Have you tried opening task manager and seeing if you can close the application that has "control" of that folder? Being in safe mode could be really causing some of the problem.

Ken

zacker
10-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Have you tried opening task manager and seeing if you can close the application that has "control" of that folder? Being in safe mode could be really causing some of the problem.

Ken

No Ken, the problem with the Lap top in safe mode is a whole different story..lol

the Raw problem is on the desk top.. I have tried opening up task mngr but cant tell what program is holding em hostage.. i mean, this happens with no programs running. if i click on the folder and open it, they have to wait for the next re-start to be deleted.. i will try getting rid of the thumb viewer since it doesnt work with the 30D raw files anyways! it might be hanging things up like tom said.

The lap top is a memory issue, i up graded the mem and it locks up the computer.. and with the original 128 ram, its so slow i can hardly do anything with it, to the point that i have deleted everything off it and use it for webbing and email only. it runs fine in safe mode but not in a regular state, so I have been useing it in safe mode every night.. i guess im at the end of the road so I have to improvise and if it gets a virus, ill bring out side and run it over with the car...that'll teach it!
lol

meyankee
10-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Don't you just love how simple MS makes their OS? Everything in simple english so you know what is going on and how to correct a problem. :(
Of course we never do anything to cause problems on our computers LOL
It is people like me who keep the computer guru's busy <g>.

Ken

TomNanos
10-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Ken
Most likely not going to work, as it's Explorer that's locking the files. Kill explorer and you'll also kill your desktop (the desktop is simply the first instance of explorer.exe running on your machine - it's essentially a borderless, maximized MDI parent window, where all other windows are child windows to it - whoops, sorry for my geekspeak there.... :D)

And speaking of safe mode, Craig - I haven't seen anything odd running in that process dump you sent me - actually, looking again only one thing jumps out at me right now - did you ever have, or do you have now, SpySweeper on your PC? It looks like there's a missing file, but it looks like it's the pre-boot scanner. May be an issue, but I'm not sure - never used the scanner. One other thing - did you try disabling your antivirus and see if things lock up again?