PDA

View Full Version : Quite a Site in my Neighborhood

sandcmom
10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Ok, so I bought a Canon 30D w/ the kit lens on Friday. I'm sitting in my house on Saturday afternoon trying to figure out the darn thing when my husband pokes his head in the door and yells "get the camera, quick, get out here". So being the obedient wife that I am and wondering if my kids are turning back flips in the yard I grab the camera and run outside. To my shock and amazement, I see three buzzards on a neighbor's roof. So, I start clicking away, not even looking at the settings and knowing I need a zoom lens:

This guy swoops down and is apparently removing the last of a road kill squirrel from our suburban streets:

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/4/6/buzzard1.jpg

Not liking my intrusion on his lunch, he flies back up on the roof:
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/4/6/buzzardflight.jpg

Where he then teases his buds about being the early bird.
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/4/6/buzzardsonroof.jpg

Anyway, I ordered a new lens and it should be here tomorrow, can't wait to use it--

Irishpub3
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Kewl shots - nice catch =) I really like the second you, you got him in action flying... and his big shadow on the house :happy

Orgnoi1
10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
#2 is amazing... but all good catches... wait till you hook that 70-300IS on that thing...

sandcmom
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
wait till you hook that 70-300IS on that thing...

Tomorrow....I can't wait....I don't think I'll be able to sleep. The UPS man better be on time too! I'll be taking pictures of file cabinets at the office just to try it out.:D

Orgnoi1
10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL thats how I was with this lens I just traded for... except I went wide not tele...

Stiger
10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Nice captures, especially on the fly without checking your settings. And it looks like you had a beautiful day. Sure beats the gloom and rain we had all day.

CruzinGirl
10-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Kewl shots - nice catch =) I really like the second you, you got him in action flying... and his big shadow on the house

Great minds think alike! That's exactly what I was going to say!

stoneylonesome
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Great shots, The second one is really neat with the shadow, BUT one has to ask, exactly what is at your neighbors house that would attract 3 turkey vultures to there roof? :eek: :D :D :D

CruzinGirl
10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Great shots, The second one is really neat with the shadow, BUT one has to ask, exactly what is at your neighbors house that would attract 3 turkey vultures to there roof? :eek: :D :D :D

lol...nice

zacker
10-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Body parts? Note: do NOT piss off the Neighbors!

sandcmom
10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
You know, come to think of it, I have not seen the wife in a while. I'll have to further investigate.....LOL

This same neighbor has a little pond out back with Koi in it. They tell me that they get periodic visits from a Blue Heron. They finally put a screen over the pond to stop the fish kills.

I still can't believe these three guys showed up for a little squirrel. But, a few weeks ago, one showed up behind my office building and was having lunch on some UDA (unidentifed dead animal). But my building backs up to some woods, so I get all kinds of things out here--deer, groundhogs, turtles (in the retaining pond), and Blue Herons.