PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! That had to hurt

convergent
10-06-2006, 07:44 PM
How's this for compression of the ball on the head! I'm going to say this had to hurt a bit. This was towards the end of a 0-0 tie during the overtime. Taken with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 1DMk2. I'll post some more from the game with the 400mm f/2.8, but I thought this shot deserved its own thread.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/web_MQ2E0014.jpg

stoneylonesome
10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
YIKES! :eek: I can feel just looking at the photo, they both must be hurting. Great capture.

ATVinBarbie
10-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Ouch :eek: That's gonna leave a mark. :Hammer Or possibly just a lasting headache. :doh

Is it possible that the ball went flat before it impacted his head? :dunno

Tell us a little about after the impact Mike. Did he continue to play as if nothing happened? :confused:

convergent
10-07-2006, 10:27 AM
That ball was used throughout, and there had to have been 100 head balls in the game... I just happened to catch one with full compression which is very rare.

ATVinBarbie
10-07-2006, 10:30 AM
That ball was used throughout, and there had to have been 100 head balls in the game... I just happened to catch one with full compression which is very rare.

I bet that player would LOVE to have a copy of that shot. :tup

Orgnoi1
10-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Thats a great shot... =) It has to be a fun challenge to get shots like that... somedays I wish I was more interested in team sports...

ATVinBarbie
10-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Thats a great shot... =) It has to be a fun challenge to get shots like that... somedays I wish I was more interested in team sports...

Sometimes it helps when you KNOW someone who is participating in the sport. I know for Mike... he shoots his daughters teams. And then for me anyways... I just go with it. ;)

Like when I started shooting motocross... The first shots I took was of someone I knew who asked me to take photos for him..... then I got the FEVER badly. I was at the track EVERY chance I got shooting whomever would let me. :happy And trust me.... I enjoyed the pictures as much or more than they did. :tup

This year, I'm photographing the Mighty Mites football team. Paul's son plays and his daughter is a cheerleader. I started shooting at practices and then the coaches approached me and asked if I'd take pics for them. The more I shoot, the more I WANT to shoot. I'm there for the game before Cameran's and for the two AFTER Cameran's.

convergent
10-07-2006, 11:17 AM
It is a challenge. I sometimes end up getting hand cramps and have to stop and massage my hands to be able to continue... especially when I shoot all day. I think I'm finally mastering the juggling act between the 400 on one body, and the 70-200 on another. It is more work, but it opens up a lot more territory.... especially if I'm using the TC1.4 on the long lens.

zacker
10-07-2006, 03:54 PM
lol @ ross... mee too!
Mike, now we know why they dont use Concrete balls ...lol Thats an awesome catch!
Way to go! Were you shooting in Bursts? Im wondering if theres a before and after images to this one..

convergent
10-07-2006, 03:56 PM
No burst... just the one shot on that one. Bursts don't really produce much in this type of shot because the next shot at 8.5fps would be nearly out of the frame. Most action sports is way to fast for burst rates to keep up, except for things like the leadup to a dunk in basketball, or a pitcher pitching.

IronDuke
10-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Great capture on this one! I'm thinking it must have hurt.... Squeezing a ball doesn't seem to get that much compression..

Stiger
10-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Holy crap. Awesome capture. That's great timing.