PDA

View Full Version : My CD Burner Exploded!

convergent
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I've never heard of this before. I had waited until the last minute to burn a CD of some images for a someone, and of course that is when the impossible will happen. In the middle of burning the CD, I heard a very loud pop and then grinding. I couldn't get it to stop and so I just pulled the power to it (external drive). I then restored power and hit eject and this is what I found.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/brokencd_TS1_1312.jpg

convergent
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
A little research and found that this is something that isn't that uncommon, and quite dangerous. Mythbusters even did an episode on it and proved it correct... CDs explode at a certain speed (usually if there is a flaw in the CD to start with).

http://www.gadgetopia.com/post/2086

stoneylonesome
09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
YIKES! I'm going to be a little apprehensive when I burn one now, does the same apply to DVD's?

CruzinGirl
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Yup, and I've heard of the cd-roms doing it too and that it is not uncommon for them to then not work (my guess is because a little piece of the cd landed somewhere and caused some binding in the gears so to speak). Good thing you were right there and able to pull the plug!!! Hopefully your cd-burner is ok!!!!

TomNanos
09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Heh...I had heard of this happening, but never seen or experienced it.

And yep, it can happen to DVDs or CDs equally as redily - they're both essentially the same polycarbonate disc, just different groove size (yes, CDs and DVDs have grooves like old LPs), groove spacing and dye type (for CD-R/DVD-Rs).

Spin anything fast enough and it'll fly apart. I've heard of engine flywheels doing the same thing, but with more devistating effects. Like Mike mentioned, gotta have a flaw first for the forces to take over & tear it apart...

ATVinBarbie
09-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Yupp, happened to me... my CD rom crapped the bed and it exploded a CD. :eek:

convergent
09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Well, I tossed the drive in the trash. Even if it still worked, there have to be tons of fragments of stuff all over the inside, and I don't want it to damage another disk that might have something important on it. Its worth the cost of a drive to be safe.

I used to do drag racing, and I had to have a "transmission blanket" wrapped around the automatic transmission in order to run the car. This was designed to catch anything should the transmission explode from high RPMs... because otherwise it would fly through the floor of the car and potentially kill the driver. As Tom said... if you spin anything fast enough it will fly apart.

I just never thought I'd hear a noise that sounded like a gun shot coming from my computer... other than through the speakers in a battle game!

CruzinGirl
09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
lol....so you survived your first experience with urban warfare :)

I think I would have tossed the drive too, just makes sense.

convergent
09-29-2006, 08:48 AM
lol....so you survived your first experience with urban warfare :)

I think I would have tossed the drive too, just makes sense.

Well 100% of the cases I found on the internet, they all had tossed the drive. I think the lens gets damaged from the blast.

CruzinGirl
09-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Well that, and you can never get every little fragment out, like you said...not worth possibly damaging an important disk.