PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Llama Yesterday

convergent
09-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Yesterday afternoon I was leaving the volleyball game and my wife asked me where I was headed. I told her I was going to buy a lawn mower, and another lady heard me and thought I said I was going to buy a llama... haha. I told her that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go that route and let the llama eat the grass.

So our self propelled mower blew out the transmission... pinion gear was shot... and so I decided to bag it and get a new one. I took the transmission out of it, but my kids acted like I was asking them to push a car around the yard. We do have a few hills, so I will retire the old one. I didn't try to get parts, because I'm guessing they'd be more than the thing is worth. The first year we had it, a mouse got into the shed and chewed up the bagger bag... and Sears wanted I think it was $80 for a new bag (just the cloth part), so we patched it up and it was a leaking mess the rest of its life.

I did some quick research on the web and was amazed that lawn mowers haven't really gone up in price in the last 15 years. I remember looking at a self propelled Toro back then that was $449, and the one I got had way more features and was $399 at Home Depot. I bought the Toro Model 20070 Personal Pace mower with electric start. Yep, no kidding... the thing has electric start.... which seems kind of silly since it starts with one fairly light tug on the rope anyways.

The real beauty of this thing, aside from its fantastic red and white coloring, is the Personal Pace system. This is an engineering marvel. I remember when we bought one 15 years ago, the thing was to get front wheel drive so you could easily lift the wheels on the front to stop it from going. But, front wheel drive has its issues. With this thing, you walk normally and push on the handle and it speeds up or slows down automatically to match your speed... including coming to a stop. Last night, I used it, and my son and daughter also tried it. It worked perfectly with each of us. The only thing you need to be careful of is that it can pop a wheelie if you take off to fast. All of this for $399.

I was intrigued by the Honda models, as one of them has a feature that lets you variably control how much grass goes in the bag, and how much gets recycled. This would be cool because I like to bag, but would like to feed some clippings back. But, that one was $699 I think... and I didn't see how it was worth $300 more. That model also had an aluminum frame which is nice, but it is only a few pounds lighter and the handle on that mower seems overly long. I'm pretty happy with the Toro, and the price seems like a bargain.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/021038200705_3.jpg

Check it out at http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1775951906.1157715351@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddikkdhjggcgelceffdfgidgkj.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+5234&pos=n20

zacker
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey Mike, i too bought a TORO two years ago, its not as fancy, just a self propeled FWD, I like it though except for the frame is already starting to rot around the motor mounts!!!... I used to do Landscaping and was useing my big, Exmark 48" Walkbehind. 15HP Kawasaki engine! (the 1999) version of this one!
http://www.exmark.com/popups/photos/largeMetro.jpg

It would take me about 5 minutes to cut my backyard and go over it twice, In 4th gear, I couldnt keep up with this, even flat out running... i had to finally go buy a toro walk behind because, I couldnt fit the Exmark through the gate to cut the front lawn and the kid who used to cut it for $5.00 a week stopped cutting lawns!
so i sold the big one to my brother and now i use the small TORO and the best part? My wife has made the garden so big (1/2 the yard) it still only takes me about 10 mins to cut it twice...lol