PDA

View Full Version : Anyone entering any photo contests in fairs?

JustinL
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I know a bunch of fairs have gone by already... anybody planning on entering the photo contests?

I know some of you guys are pro, so would you have any advice for entering these?

Orgnoi1
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I have never entered a contest at a fair... but I would say to make sure you take the step with the right foot forward... meaning... take your best shot to enter... but its not only what you think is the best... but what others do also... do some local networking with friends, neighbors, etc and ask them honest opinions... dont skimp on the frames you use... stick around and network with people as they look over the pictures... dont be afraid to talk to them, a good picture can be made great if they remember talking to the "very nice photographer" who took it...

convergent
09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I think the county fair season is over with Labor Day, but I may be mistaken... unless you are talking about craft fairs or something else. I haven't ever entered a contest like that, so I can't offer any tips. Ross's thoughts seem to make good sense.

I talked to a guy at a recent craft fair that was selling pictures. He had about 50 pictures framed and hanging on a display. They were all awesome images and from a lot of different genres... landscape, architecture, sports. They were all pretty reasonably priced too... $25-$65 for framed and matted pictures. I asked him how he captured them and he pulled out an old 2MP Olympus point and shoot. He wasn't trying to make a living at it, but truly enjoyed taking the pictures, and then getting to meet and talk to people that eventually bought them. Nice guy.

JustinL
09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I think the county fair season is over with Labor Day, but I may be mistaken... unless you are talking about craft fairs or something else. I haven't ever entered a contest like that, so I can't offer any tips. Ross's thoughts seem to make good sense.

http://ctfairs.org/fair_map.aspx

I think they may be over for NY, not sure what state you meant. Mike you're right, Ross had a great idea. The only thing is how would I know when the judges will be over to view/critque?

rpiano
09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If you want to know about Art/Craft shows, I'll let you know how I make out Saturday, it'll be my second (lest anyone think I'm an expert), hopefully no downpours for this one. I'm setting up a booth for a Juried Art Show in Dunellen, NJ "Art on the Green". I'm doing it for much the same reasons as the person Mike met, just love to meet people and talk about scenic and wilderness photography.

JustinL
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
If you had a booth in one of these CT Fairs I'd probably just pull up a chair and chat with you all day Bob! (Not sure how bad I'd kill your business though) hahaha

zacker
09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
justin, Ive said it before... Michaels has the best sales on Frames.... and they seem to have it all the time..you just need to buy the mats at full price but just figure the cost into your sale price and get the $$ back.. I sold a few but thats it..not at a fair, at a GYM ...lol Like Ross said, do not skimp on the frame...even if someone buys it just for the frame...lol a sale is a sale bro!
I like the Barnwood frame look and classic black.. oh yeah, stay away from plastic frames,, get wooden ones..much more classy!

JustinL
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM
i think these fairs only allow mats not frames...

http://www.ctberlinfair.com/exhibits/book/photography.php

http://www.durhamfair.com/content/52/123.aspx

the 2nd link is more specific (just CNTL+F and search for "frames")

rpiano
09-07-2006, 07:37 AM
If you had a booth in one of these CT Fairs I'd probably just pull up a chair and chat with you all day Bob! (Not sure how bad I'd kill your business though) hahaha

I'll have to check out the CT schedule for next year then! ROAD TRIP! :D

Still trying to figure out all the rules and whatnot for doing this state by state.

JustinL
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
they're not the best (in CT) for updating the sites with info, and some of the names you choose to email never respond. I guess computers may be the evil future for some of these people

zacker
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
As are lots of things here in good old CT.

rpiano
09-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll open up my search area to include CT in CraftLister as next year rolls around, I'm cheap so I only get to see events 2 months out.