PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Offloads Camera Manufacturing, Distribution (PC Magazine)

randy e zack
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Kodak Offloads Camera Manufacturing, Distribution (PC Magazine) (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/digitalimaging/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060810/tc_zd/185841)

PC Magazine - Eastman Kodak Company announced that it has forged an agreement with Flextronics International Ltd., in which Flextronics will take over the manufacturing and distribution of Kodak's consumer digital cameras.

randy e zack
08-23-2006, 07:50 PM
i was not aware that kodak was ever "really in" the digital camera business. i'm well aware that they sold more digital camera than any body in the world the last 2 years "BUT" they also lost a ton of money on digital cameras the last 2 years.

convergent
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
I thought I saw something about this a month or so back... probably a continuation of their progress to reinvent the company. Kodak has been all over the place in digital cameras. At the consumer level, they are a contender, and this move to outsource it seems odd since this would appear to be a core business they'd want to focus on. They were a big player in pro DSLRs for a while,then completely got out of that. They had a very well received 16MP medium format digital back that still commands a decent resale value, but they got out of that business too. They still make digital sensors for various purposes I believe.

zacker
08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I dont know about this but I do know, they have been snapping up Sanitary tube and valves the last couple weeks... what gives? i just readied another crate of 4" and 3" sanitary SS tube going to Kodak... Hmmmmm.... think they use it for chemicals for the film?

convergent
08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Zacker, Maybe the sanitary tubes are because a lot of their employees need them after all these annoucements... ;)

zacker
08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Zacker, Maybe the sanitary tubes are because a lot of their employees need them after all these annoucements... ;)

lol ya never know...lol

I just looked at their site, they are also into the medical and dentil fields now.. and they have a molecular science studies ( or something to that effect) in new haven in the science park.. the stuff im sending today is going to Florida...Hmmm.. theres something afoote here.
lol

I didnt know they had there eggs in so many baskets... could be one reason to dump the cameras... cot off the bad part of the business so the other parts can grow, we did it last august and havent looked back since.

convergent
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh, Kodak is enormously diversified. I ran a consulting engagement there for about a year (4 or 5 years ago) where we were managing their web development (e-Business) activities. I got to see the whole company from the top down, and they are in a lot of stuff. The problem is that they were having difficulty using that diversity to their advantage. If they got all their oars going in the same direction, they could probably dominate a lot of stuff... but big business is tough and its easier said than done. A lot of the stuff we worked on, I have yet to see in the public so it probably never saw the light of day after they spent millions on it.

stoneylonesome
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
lol ya never know...lol

I just looked at their site, they are also into the medical and dentil fields now.. and they have a molecular science studies ( or something to that effect) in new haven in the science park.. the stuff im sending today is going to Florida...Hmmm.. theres something afoote here.
lol

I didnt know they had there eggs in so many baskets... could be one reason to dump the cameras... cot off the bad part of the business so the other parts can grow, we did it last august and havent looked back since.

oh boy! another conspiracy theory, I love it. "what diabolical scheme is Kodak up to now?" :D This will more than likey cause the price of a barrel oil to go up.:D :D :D :roll