PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the sensor?

KVphoto
08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Ok every time I switch lenses I am getting dust and specks on the area inside the body up under where the flash is. The focus points show on it. Sometimes they show up after I have gotten it clean and taken a few shots. Please help!!The technical stuff is not my strong point right now. i have been using my lens cloth to clean it but it happens every time! What can I do short of changing the lenses inside a black bag?!

zacker
08-19-2006, 09:16 AM
first off, be sure to put clean lenses on the body.. get a giottos rocket blower and blow off the lenses before putting them on. second, never put the rear lens cap (or front for that matter) in your pocket.. lint and stuff will get on it, on the lens, in the cam. third, i always blow out the cam before i go out shooting, in the house, put the cam in "sensor cleaning" mode, remove lens, take the rocket blower and holding the cam with the lens hole facing down, blow up into the camera with the rocket.... i do this for about 1 minute.. and NEVER use the compressed air cans for blowing dust of you comp..they get really cold and start sguirting liquid which can damage the sensor!!!! use the rocket blower only!!!!! now, when changing lenses, you can hold the body upside down lots of people do, i dont... doesnt seem to matter, just be quick about it. i usuually take out the new lens, remove the back cap, shut off the cam, take the old lens off, slap the new lens on and blow off the old one and cap it and put it in the bag. Always shut off the cam before changing lenses because they say the sensor, when powered up, is like a tv screen...it attracts dust!

ZK9995
08-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Are the spots showing in you photos? If not it is not on the sensor itself it is on the plate that is under you veiw finder inside the camera body. I had that happen this past weekend when I was taking pictures at the Motorcycle races in Loudon this past weekend and a bike crashed in the dirt infront of me. I have a large hand blower that I used to get the spots out ( thankfully we were staying by the Concord Camera store). None of the spots were in the pictures (because there was nothing on the sensor) just annoying because I could see them in the view finder. I didn't get them again after I got it clean but I did make sure to blow everything out and the lenses off while changing them. Hope this helps :)

KVphoto
08-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh my gosh I didnt even think of that! It seems that it is on the focusing area, where the focus squares are. I am sorry it is hard for me to explain since I am not sure what the part is called. I am not even sure where the sensor is! I just went on a photo safari today at the bronx zoo so will look through those images now and let you know!

zacker
08-20-2006, 06:11 AM
lol... focus screen? view finder? What is its correct name? anyone know?

Kristina, the sensor is the flat greyish looking thing behind the mirror, you need to go into sensor cleaning mode to see it.

Good day for the zoo!

ZK9995
08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok Zacker it is the eye piece lens assembly...lmao

KV my stuff was just on the focusing part,my pictures were coming out spot free just extremely annoying til I could get to the camera store the next day and get a blower. Let me know how you made out. :)

zacker
08-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Ok, Lets just call it the "eye piece-lens-viewer-looker-through-picture-maker-thingy" and leave it at that..before it gets too confusing!
lol

Orgnoi1
08-21-2006, 06:40 AM
LOL ok ok ok ... I have held off long enough... =)

There are a few different pieces involved. The first piece of glass you look through is the viewfinder... which then bounces off a mirror in the prism area of the camera and then directly down through the focus screen (which is replacable and interchangable with aftermarket screens on some cameras).... it then bounces off the main mirror which is the one you can see when you look inside the cameras lens mount... and out the lens... dust can sometimes get on both the main mirror and the focus screen which you can clean carefully with either a clean cleaning cloth or a TINY amount of cleaning fluid and cleaning paper. Another good thing to be assured of is that your lenses inner glass is clean and dust free since that plays a large part in your pictures... the sensor cannot be seen unless you do a sensor cleaning and then you do not want to attempt cleaning it unless you are throughly versed in how to do so as any scratches on the hot filter for the sensor will end up in all your pics...

zacker
08-21-2006, 06:59 AM
I dont care what you say, I still like my name for it.:)

ZK9995
08-21-2006, 07:40 AM
It was the focus screen on mine that had the dirt on it. Easily cleaned, Just for the life of me could not remeber the proper name of it. :)