PDA

View Full Version : How'd they get all those little guys...

TomNanos
08-15-2006, 03:41 PM
...on the top of the locomotive??! :D Caught this unlikely pair just south of the US Navy Sub Base in Groton, CT. I think it's a Sturgeon class sub, but I'm not sure. It looks too small to be a Virginia, Los Angeles or Seawolf class, and it sure as hell ain't a boomer (Ohio Class)!!

Anyways, the train was heading southbound (to the left) and obviously the sub was heading north (to the right).

http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/wm__MG_5543-01.jpg

aceman152
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Don't qoute me on this my Dad used to be on subs though and I am pretty sure you can eliminate the LA class because I believe they have their dive planes on the bow actually underwater. i will do alittle research for you though.

edit: Alright for sure it isnt any attack sub, they all have the planes in the same location on the bow.....looks like The Sturgeon but cant be for sure, did you by chance catch the SSN-#?

zacker
08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
lol... its a race..my train is faster than your sub! Maybe its not a sub at all, maybe its a life size replica mounted to the front of the train.

TomNanos
08-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Don't qoute me on this my Dad used to be on subs though and I am pretty sure you can eliminate the LA class because I believe they have their dive planes on the bow actually underwater. i will do alittle research for you though.

edit: Alright for sure it isnt any attack sub, they all have the planes in the same location on the bow.....looks like The Sturgeon but cant be for sure, did you by chance catch the SSN-#?
Didn't catch any numbers anywhere on the hull or sail. I checked all my shots for that. Nothing but depth markers on the rudder....

stoneylonesome
08-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Say! shouldn't this be in the 'On the Water' section.:rolleyes: Only kidding, what a great capture, you sure don't see that to often. If there standing on the Subs deck, shouldn't someone be standing on the top of the train? :D :D

aceman152
08-16-2006, 09:44 AM
its all good, I want to get down to Groton sometime when they are pushing subs out and take pictures of them. I used to live around that area and kind of miss it. I would really love to watch a sub get commisioned and pushed out to sea and then catch it on its way out for trials.

And since I havent commented on the shot just rambled about subs, it is an awesome catch, really like the B&W of this one. Definitly at the right place at the right time.