PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I can't edit the threads

stoneylonesome
08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
For some reason I have lost the edit button on the threads that I started. I had to reload photos on my web site gallery and now I can't access the threads to edit the links.

ZR2Blazer
08-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Is it working now :dunno

convergent
08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
There is a limit to the amount of time you can edit threads... so that may be the problem.

ZR2Blazer
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
There is a limit to the amount of time you can edit threads... so that may be the problem.

Yes and that is what I changed.....It was set to 24 hrs and I changed it to a week for editing their posts.

Just asking if its OK now.......I posted in 2 other posts and PM'd stoney, but haven't heard back :dunno

stoneylonesome
08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Well it's sort of working This one that I posted for example I cannot edit, the ones I posted on 8/26 and 8/27 I can still edit will have to see how long on those. Just checked some of my earlier posts, looks like I can edit back to about 8/21 anything earlier than that is a no go.

convergent
08-28-2006, 08:17 AM
That is by design... The thinking is that most posts get edited within a few days and then after that it is pretty rare that an edit it needed. If something were to happen after the edit period expired, a moderator would be happy to help you out on getting a change made. The problem with leaving edits open forever is that someone could go back at some point and delete all the text from all the posts they've ever made. I have seen this happen on other other forums and it really messes up the threads. It can even mess up the threads when major edits are done after the fact since replies may no longer go with the posts. Its best to just reply to the thread with a correction if there is new information to add... then everyone can see the flow of the dialog who tryies to read the thread. Hopefully this makes sense.

stoneylonesome
08-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Makes perfect sense, 24 hours however made no sense 1 to 2 weeks is fine however. Thanks for everything in fixing this

convergent
08-28-2006, 09:54 AM
The 24 hour setting was a mis-configuration... looks like things are working correctly now. Thanks for your patience.