PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Wired Canon Flashes?

convergent
08-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I am trying to figure out how to connect 2 or more 580EX strobes to one camera, in a wired configuration. I'd like to rig two of them on a bracket, to work like a 2 light macro setup. I'm sure it will be quite a scarey looking thing if and when I get it going, but the wiring I thought would be simple and I'm amazed it isn't. Canon makes a hub and cables to do this, but the info says it won't work with digital and ETTL. So, that's no good. The wireless setup also isn't going to work since the strobes will be aimed in the same direction and therefore wouldn't be able to get the IR signal from the master.

Orgnoi1
08-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Mike have you tried using the ST-E2?... I recall using it like this and it worked with my 2 580ex's... I wont have access to test it though till thursday...

convergent
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't think it will work like this... it needs line of site to the sensors, so if the flashes are pointed out from the camera... on a bracket, and the ST-E2 is on the camera, then I don't think it will work.

convergent
08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
OK, I guess this will work. I played with a couple of 580EX flashes rigged up on a bracket, and they seem to trigger fine. Not sure why I thought they needed line of sight, but they are triggering fine on this bracket. It is one scarey looking (and heavy) setup though. I've got a couple of super clamps attached to a Custom Bracket and a 580EX on each one hung out to the right and left. I need to get a few extra pieces though, as currently they aren't balanced and so it is a bear to get the shadows from each side to cancel. This could definitely work though.