PDA

View Full Version : Hibiscus Shot V2.1

zacker
08-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I like this one much better!

http://zacker.smugmug.com/photos/86318519-L.jpg

stoneylonesome
08-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Beautiful, The shots not bad either. :) :)

zacker
08-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks! Im trying :)

ATVinBarbie
08-08-2006, 07:29 AM
So pretty. :love

zacker
08-08-2006, 07:33 AM
arent I?

lol yes it is Barb...and its Perrenial so it will be back next summer, bigger and better! a house around the corner has these and a red one too, about 5 feet tall around a lightpost, it looks like an island scene!

ATVinBarbie
08-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Oh yes Craig... you are as pretty as a Hibiscus LOL

(Betcha never heard that before :lmao )

arent I?

lol yes it is Barb...and its Perrenial so it will be back next summer, bigger and better! a house around the corner has these and a red one too, about 5 feet tall around a lightpost, it looks like an island scene!

And you haven't taken a pic of THAT yet??? :eek: Shame on you. :nice

zacker
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh yes Craig... you are as pretty as a Hibiscus LOL

(Betcha never heard that before :lmao )

And you haven't taken a pic of THAT yet??? :eek: Shame on you. :nice

lol... Actuaqlly, i hear that all the time.. in my old school, I was known as hibiscus Boy!...lolActually, I dont think they were even invented yet, when I was in HS. lol

I would but I have a trepidition on going on peoples property and taking pictures..lol ( did I use that word correctly? wheres my wife when i need her??)

convergent
08-08-2006, 08:25 AM
[quote=zacker]I like this one much better!

I like it too... nice effect. However, it is a little flat. This is something I've struggled with on macro. In order to get depth, you need to have shadows in the image. Shadows are hard when you are lighting things up the way you have to do on macro. Maybe varying the angle of view would help give it some definition? I'm a macro rookie, so I am not sure.

It is a cool shot though. The thing actually looks kind of like its made out of a big piece of cloth... like drapery material or something. And I love the one in the distance that is smaller and out of focus.... cool effect.

riderchick_05
08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
that isa pretty, I like your pic..

zacker
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
well it is a flat flower though...lol its hard to not get a flatter pic with macro with out useing the right angel(or is it angle?) but this wasnt even the macro lens, it was the 28-135 IS... oh well, like i said, the flowers are flat, like a big disc!

convergent
08-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Zacker, I wasn't trying to be critical... I was just trying to use the image as a learning discussion. I get the same type of shots, and I've had people tell me mine look flat too (which they do). There is a way to give them some depth, but I'm not sure how to do it. It may require moving the strobe to a proper angle to give the depth through shadow lighting. I've got a book I'm going to take a look at to see if it addresses this.

I do love the image... ;)

zacker
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
lol I know what you were saying Mike.. No offense taken.. I was just commenting on the fact that, like you said, macros do tend to be flat.. but the funny part is, I didnt use the macro lens but the 28-125 zoom... but then again, this IS a flat flower..lol So it might have allot to do with it ..

I was just reading an article on macros and they say that you should shoot from an angle or light from an angle to avoid "flattening" your subject.
good stuff.

convergent
08-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I am thinking that moving the flash off camera and angling it might help with the definition... I have flash brackets and multiple flashes, but I don't have a dual flash cord... I need to look into that. One of the books I was just looking at used one flash off to the side, and then they mounted a small reflector at an angle, opposite of the flash.

ATVinBarbie
08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
lol... Actuaqlly, i hear that all the time.. in my old school, I was known as hibiscus Boy!...lolActually, I dont think they were even invented yet, when I was in HS. lol

I would but I have a trepidition on going on peoples property and taking pictures..lol ( did I use that word correctly? wheres my wife when i need her??)

ASK permission. :tup

zacker
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
I have an off shoe cord and a reflector....but then Id have to press the the remote shutter with my teeth!
lol I need to get on of those adjustable arms the clamp onto the tripod to hold a reflector.. Ive seen them before but forget what they are called.....something like gorilla arm or something.

Barb... I can ask but I feel stupid asking someone if I can take a shot of their flowers.. even though I know theyd prolly say yes and be quite proud that their flowers were so nice some strange guy wants to take pictures of them...lol

ATVinBarbie
08-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Barb... I can ask but I feel stupid asking someone if I can take a shot of their flowers.. even though I know theyd prolly say yes and be quite proud that their flowers were so nice some strange guy wants to take pictures of them...lol

I ask people all the time and have yet to have someone tell me no. And yes, they appear quite proud that I want to take pictures of their flowers.

As for the strange part..... my neighbors are already well aware of my strangeness. ;) :D

zacker
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
lol.. I think my neighbore think im a pro photog now, they see me leave the house with the camera on and come home with it too... And Im not driving the rack truck anymore, got the bosses old SUV so im thinking they must think i got a job as a photog..lol