PDA

View Full Version : Homestead + McAfee upgrade = big problems!

KVphoto
08-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok McAfee recently did an upgrade which has wrecked havoc on my Homestead program. I have listed the necessary homestead files as being allowed in the firewall. I have tried to disable the firewall and antivirus. But nothing worked. When I try to publish it freezes and then wont publish. I even uninstalled McAfee, then homestead worked fine. But I can't go without McAfee! Can anyone help me figure out how to make it work. It worked just fine before this upgrade. :mad:

ProPhotoImages
08-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Hmmm....You do have a problem. Couple of questions? Did you download an update or was this a complete upgrade? Or was this upgrade on a CD? Did you try disabling eveything that you could first on the taskbar. Did you download and then try to install afterwards? Are your homestead files up to date? Homestead is probally not the problem anyway.

If you can save your Homestead files to cd's..you might try taking homestead off then upgrade McAfee with everything off the taskbar, check to make sure everything works reboot and then put homestead back on and see if this works now. Or you might have such a conflict that you have to go to another Antiviral program such as "AVG".
If homestead works fine without McAfee there is some kinda conflict. Make sure if you downloaded McAfee, you got a good complete download. If none of this works you may have to call in to McAfee and tell them about the problem. If your homestead and McAfee worked fine before the upgrade, then you wll have pinpointed the trouble as the upgrade itself. If this McAfee includes (Firewall) it may be a new conflict with the firewall & homestead. At the worst you might have to redo your homestead over again. I certainly hope not.

KVphoto
08-05-2006, 12:07 AM
It was a McAfee upgrade via the auto update program in the software. I have tried to uninstall both programs. As far as I can tell there were no additional programs to the McAfee but they supposedly have made enhancements, blah! :( Anyway, I am looking into another hosting site as I have not been crazy about Homestead anyway. I am still going to work on this issue though.

ProPhotoImages
08-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Sometimes those auto updates or plain updates can have bugs in them that will make either your system or a particular program go haywire.

Here are some of the things you can do to help safeguard yourself. Even though Win XP home or Pro is supposed to make an auto restore point, you can help by making a manual restore point before downloading anything. When you have an auto downloading program that will update itself, you can sometimes bypass that by turning off auto updates and telling the program to notify you before downloading. When you download an update, instead of going right to the download, stash it on your desktop first. Then shut down your internet connection temporarily, kill the antivirus & firewall on your taskbar temporarily and install the update..reboot and make sure the update works. When you reboot, everything you killed on the taskbar will come back up. If everything works as expected, you can now make a folder, put your update in it cause you might need it again later at some point and put the folder into a my Download files on your "HD". It's also sometimes a good idea to do a "quickie" run of your maintenence tools such as AdAware, Spybot, Windows Defender, etc to make sure your system is clean.

Sure, this is a pain and can sometimes get time consuming but sometimes it pays to get paranoid especially if that "update" had bugs or didn't do a complete and righteous download. A couple of weeks ago...there were several updates for a program by a famous company that wrecked havoc on some computer systems. Well the company issued a service bulletin that they were sorry and had to reissue those same updates with more fixes. This happened to me, so I just went back in time and waited until they fixed the updates.:Hammer

Here's hoping that this what has happened to you and that it will be fixed in a timely fashion.

Good luck and by the way..doesn't that homestead have a trial period? It seems like a nice program but you never know until you start running it.

KVphoto
08-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I have been using homestead for over a year now with no issues until this. It is McAfee that is causing me the problem, I do not know if windows did an auto restore point or not but will look.

convergent
08-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not really sure what Homestead is... what is it used for?

The update thing can drive you crazy. Just 2 days ago I let XP install the SP2 update, and now none of the other users on our home computer can run games... it tells them they don't have the proper security rights. I've thus far not found any solution to this.

ProPhotoImages
08-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Thats a do it yourself website building program like Smugmug

Convergent...Did you make a manual restore point or did you let XP make an auto restore point?. If you have more than one account on your computer such as the kids, you may have to go in an give the other account users access to those games because when you installed SP2 it may have wiped that out.

You might even have to go in, and restore Xp to it's original state, reload SP2 again, reboot and give access right away to your other users if they are on the same drive. But first, see if you can update those extra accounts first.:):):)

Hope that helps.

convergent
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know how to give access to a program like that... can you clue me in on what I need to do in order to do that. I have always been confused by XP Home Edition, as to how it decides what things show up for everyone, and what things show up just for my account (which is the admin account). Sometimes it asks when you add something, and other times it doesn't.

ProPhotoImages
08-06-2006, 07:36 AM
I don't know how to give access to a program like that... can you clue me in on what I need to do in order to do that. I have always been confused by XP Home Edition, as to how it decides what things show up for everyone, and what things show up just for my account (which is the admin account). Sometimes it asks when you add something, and other times it doesn't.

Inside control panel there is an icon down near the bottom for user accounts. Go to start>settings>control panel..left click and go to user accounts. click on user accounts and see who is on your system besides you and look and see if that account is turned off or on. Also inside user accounts is a help menu which will aid you.
As a method and manner of security, I have a guest account icon but don't have it activated. My daughter uses my computer sometimes for school and to access microsoft office but I don't have her registered on here as a user. She just turns my system on and then goes to microsoft office which is the only thing she uses. So she doesn't have to log-on as a separate user and put in a password. When she finishes..I go in behind her later and run maintenence. But if you have kids with their own passwords you get to restrict what they can see and use and do.
BTW, you can also go into your folder options menu and "hide files" to keep prying eyes out