PDA

View Full Version : Processing vs. Post Processing

convergent
08-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm going through Ron Reznick's DVD course right now and this subject came up on the 2nd DVD. He distinguishes between the terms "processing" and "post processing", while most people I think use them interchangably. His definition is that "processing" is what you do to correct the master image... exposure, white balance, etc. This image is then saved as a master... most likely in TIFF, PSD, or some other non-destructive method. Then he defines "post processing" as what you do for a particular output method... printing, web, etc. So he is saving the crop and sharpen process for post. Interesting way to define things, and it works for me.

zacker
08-03-2006, 07:01 AM
whats funny is I always save to orig file in its orig form and use the output file for web, print etc... If i need a certain shot, I will go to the folder with all my website Images in it, take the photo into ps.. re-size or crop or do whatever needs to be done and after im through, not save the changes or save as if need be, but i will always have the orig file and the one for my site as they are.. and if i do a "save as" i will keep that in a seperate folder.

convergent
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
I always keep the originals, but I have always done processing and post processing together, and save a copy of the image in the specific output format. His approach makes a lot of sense to me. Because with my current workflow, if I needed a different size, I'd have to go back and start from scratch again.

ProPhotoImages
08-03-2006, 08:17 AM
That DVD course looks like a good thing with some interesting tidbits. From what I learned, sharpening should be the very last thing you do in the post processing. In fact they sometimes suggest to turn off sharpening on the processing side which sometimes makes your image look a little soft. If you sharpen on the processing side to make it look good and then sharpen again on the post side, you may have oversharpened the image too much.

zacker
08-03-2006, 08:19 AM
yeah, that is why i save the final too... if i need to re size or do something else to it, i can just find it and do what needs to be done..and still have the orig and the finished product..and if need be i can sve the NEW file as something different. I usually print out my faves at 6x4 and put them in an album.. i dont save the 6x4's though, i just delet em after printing.. its alot easier than re-processing the orig. raw file yet again! lol

convergent
08-03-2006, 08:22 AM
That DVD course looks like a good thing with some interesting tidbits. From what I learned, sharpening should be the very last thing you do in the post processing. In fact they sometimes suggest to turn off sharpening on the processing side which sometimes makes your image look a little soft. If you sharpen on the processing side to make it look good and then sharpen again on the post side, you may have oversharpened the image too much.

This is definitely correct. Sharpening should always be the very last thing you do. In my case, sharpening is the next to last thing. The last thing I do is the watermark.... that way the sharpening doesn't alter the watermark.