PDA

View Full Version : Sony GPS tracker for photographers

convergent
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Sony GPS tracker for photographers (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp)

Sony has today announced a very interesting little device for recording the position where photographs are taken. The GPS-CS1 is a small (9 cm / 3.5 in) cylindrical device which you simply attach to a backback or belt loop and carry with you while you shoot, it records your GPS location and this information can later be synchronized with your digital images to provide a map of where your photos were taken. We assume it does this using date and time information stored in the image header (which obviously requires your camera's clock to be synchronized). Interestingly the mapping solution is an online website with maps provided by Google Maps (it appears that the synchronization software will write the GPS location into JPEG EXIF headers).

convergent
08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds cool, but when I read the title I was hoping that it would work with the Canon GPS input to give direct input to the camera. Oh well, this would also work, but would require yet another processing step.

zacker
08-03-2006, 06:58 AM
i use a small note pad and bic pen... about 3 bucks...lol

My problem is, too much technology means more expensive stuff to buy, more to break, more to lose, and more to worry about... I just want a 400MM lens.. thats all!
lol
Thanks for the heads up on this Mike!

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Lol, they both sound like good ideas.. I agree with the more to spend, break and lose but I am horible at the same time with the pen and paper trying to map things out, lol.. (Ask Aron)

aceman152
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
maps are way too easy to use

zacker
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
its easy for me because i usually know where im going so i can just jot down and address or street name.. I have just started to do this though so we'll have to see..lol

aceman152
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
very true....we should really start noting stuff like that as well....but I still am not sure I see the sense in spending money on a GPS for cameras....when I dont use one while on my bike lol.....heck traveling I still use a plain old paper map.

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't want one huny if that is what you are worried about, lol... You do know how well I am at directions and remembering things like that though, lol... I have been driveing in this town for almost 9 years and you still know it better than I do, lol... Alwell...

Orgnoi1
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
One thing to think about here... is that for a few different genres of photography to get the picture you may or may not have to go into locations where it may be "less than legal" to shoot from... having a GPS register your location wouldnt be too advantagious on a trespassing charge...LOL just something to think about... =)

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Lol, good point.. Sometimes I do that, there is still one shot I want to get very badly and I am not sure if it is trespassing or not. I haven't gotten out that way yet to get it... Also I have to wait for fall cause you can't see it right now with all the leaves.

One thing to think about here... is that for a few different genres of photography to get the picture you may or may not have to go into locations where it may be "less than legal" to shoot from... having a GPS register your location wouldnt be too advantagious on a trespassing charge...LOL just something to think about... =)