PDA

View Full Version : Eye Piece extenders..... whats the deal?

zacker
08-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Am also looking into this to try and keep nose marks of my LCD, I was reading about them and saw mention of "Reduces View Finder Magnification by 30%" what the deal there? my Image in the VF will be 30% smaller? Id have to squint!! Does anyone here use these? are they worth getting or should i just deal with nose marks?

convergent
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I would think that you would NOT want to get your head further away, if your goal was a sharp image. You want the camera and your head to be fused together as much as possible... unless you are always shooting on a tripod. I've not used one and would really want to.

zacker
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Hmmm Good point Mike. I believe they are 5/8ths thick. AND THE PART ABOUT IT MAKING THE VF 30% smaller has me worried!

zacker
08-02-2006, 10:03 AM
and also, do you know if a VF screen that has the 8x10 crop lines is available anywhere? I tried B&H and they dont have it. It looks like its only made for the 1 bodies and the 5D.

JustinL
08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
i had one for those low-to-the-ground shots. when you can't get to the original eye piece.

convergent
08-02-2006, 11:51 PM
and also, do you know if a VF screen that has the 8x10 crop lines is available anywhere? I tried B&H and they dont have it. It looks like its only made for the 1 bodies and the 5D.

The 30D focus screen isn't user replaceable. A company like Brightscreen can etch it for you, but you have to send them the camera I believe. There are other companies that do it as well. Brightscreen did my 20Ds and I also got my 1DMk2 focus screens from them.

zacker
08-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Darn!!! Oh well, I suppose I should just compose right to begin with!
Thanks Mike!

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Ok, so I am not awake yet realy... Does that mean that they are good or are bad to get? I don't like getting my LCD dirty either.

aceman152
08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Ok, so I am not awake yet realy... Does that mean that they are good or are bad to get? I don't like getting my LCD dirty either.

Well you can get one, I dont recommend one for you Shannon, but I can also look into LCD protectors and methods to clean them.

convergent
08-03-2006, 09:19 AM
The LCD on the 20D already has a protector on it that is rather inexpensive, user replacable, and nearly indestructable... so I'd skip getting an LCD protector on that guy (all current Canon DSLRs have this, as far as I know). Nikon is a different story... they come with those LCD protectors that are ironically very easy to scratch and they stick way out and don't look very good, in addition to the fact that they can pop off. I went with a PDA style protector on my Nikons.

Orgnoi1
08-03-2006, 10:03 AM
For the purpose of minor protection you can use a screen protection sheet normally used for a cell phone or PDA and just cut down in size... thats what I have on all my cameras...

Here is one of many sites that sell them:
http://www.nushield.com/

aceman152
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
sounds easy to pick up at walmart or some office/electronic store.

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
That is what you had on yours right? I remember Johnny picking at it, lol.... That does sound like a good idea, I am going to have to check them out then, thanks.

For the purpose of minor protection you can use a screen protection sheet normally used for a cell phone or PDA and just cut down in size... thats what I have on all my cameras...

Here is one of many sites that sell them:
http://www.nushield.com/

convergent
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
But remember that all current Canon DSLRs already have a screen protector on the LCD that you can replace if needed. If you put something over it, it will most likely effect the quality of the image that you see.

On PDAPhoneHome, screen protectors are a big and hot topic since people are trying to protect a large very fragile piece of glass on a $600 phone, that they will be writing on constantly with a stylus. The top maker of these that is my first recommendation is http://pocketpctechs.com . What you definitely do not want is the soft gel type protectors that really cut down on the viewing quality. The PocketPCTechs Writeshield C2 is about as clear as you'll get, but since they cost about the same as the Canon replacement LCD cover, then it would seem to be unnecessary.

riderchick_05
08-03-2006, 11:41 AM
oh.. Well I guess I can keep wipeing it off then after I use it, lol.... Thanks...

ProPhotoImages
08-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Let me get this right...Any Canon "dsl" with a fixed non- interchangeable focusing screen can be etched with grid lines for architechal purposes or etched with "croplines" by Brightscreen? And I assume you could have both.
Cool.....