PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 10.2 mp DSLR in 20 days

Rezzy
07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Nikon 10.2 mp DSLR in 20 days (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06072001nikondslrteaser.asp)

Nikon Japan has today started a teaser campaign promoting a new compact 10.2 megapixel digital SLR which will be announced in 20 days, we can only guess that this would be the natural successor to the D70/D70s. The teaser gives away few details other than the fact that the camera will have 10.2 megapixels (just in case you were thinking of buying a Sony Alpha). If any other significant details come out over the next 20 days we'll cover them. UPDATE: An English version has now been added to the Nikon Imaging Global website, details inside.

I want to know!

zacker
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
are you "Enquireing mind"?"
lol

is this new Nikon going after the 350D rebel XT?

Im not sure i like the compact DSLR's anymore..when i had the XT i was like, it feels good to me, but then i started useing my Elan7 with a grip and was like wait a minute... this thing feels like a camera.. and then i got the 30D with grip and thought, wow..this is a camera! i mean the xt is great im just talking about its size..im not sure it would feel comfortable ever again.

Orgnoi1
07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Just was reading on this... it should be a nice camera...

Rezzy
07-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Im hoping this new Nikon will be a mixture of D70 & D200

Orgnoi1
07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
It would be my guess that it would be exactly just that... the D70 is a great camera... and the D200 is really a great camera... =) I hope they do a few more options though to make the new version more competitive in some of its options so it can put itself back up where Canon is at right now. Not saying one is better or worse... but having things such as ISO200 as your lowest ISO and no availability of a grip that works properly is a major downfall on Nikons part for upgradability.

convergent
07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Ross, what's the big deal about ISO100? It is a bit of a ficticious element with digital. If ISO200 is matching ISO100 in image quality, then it is simply a matter of being able to deal with brighter light more easily, but not by much. Typically people are struggling a lot more on the other end. When we shot film, I think that 400 speed film stayed in the camera 90% of the time... so the average consumer would really be better off going to a standard ISO that is higher, rather than lower... assuming image quality is the same, and I think that tests show that Nikon's 200 ISO is not a degradation over other manufacturer's lowest ISO settings.

Orgnoi1
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I would rather run ISO50 and ISO100 then use ND filters to try and slow shutter speeds down. So to me it isnt ficticious... its a very real element to it...I also run ISO100 film whenever is possible and even use Pan50 in the medium format... sports or fact action you want stopped of course you will run upwards of 400 or better... but I am never stagnant in using one ISO over another...

convergent
07-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree, but your approach is based on the performance of film at those different ISOs, and sensors are different... so the notion of 50 or 100 or 200 is just arbitrary. In fact, Canon sensors (according to folks like the guys at dpreview and other sites that do serious reviews) are more sensitive than the reported ISO across the board. So, ISO1600 on a Canon sensor will expose differently than ISO1600 on Nikon... as if it were really a higher ISO. Maybe it would help if I had an example of a case where this would make a difference in the end result... can you think of a case where it would matter?

Orgnoi1
07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I think its all a moot point since its a little off the main topic of the thread...BUT really what matters to me is that I have full range of ISOs arbitrary or not... so I can use the camera is different varieties of applications as needed... noise to me really doesnt factor in as really for the 1DM2 there isnt any... but with Nikons (especially the ones that dont go under ISO200) Trish is constantly wishing she could get under ISO200 so she could slow down her shutter when we are doing panning and such in brighter sunlight.. neither of us own 77mm ND filters... and a CP-L will only help slightly...