PDA

View Full Version : Noise Ninja standalone and plug-in updated

convergent
07-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Noise Ninja standalone and plug-in updated (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7896-8470)

PictureCode has posted updates to Noise Ninja that bring the standalone edition to version 2.1.1 and the Photoshop plug-in edition to version 2.1.3. The standalone version now runs natively on Linux x86 and Intel-based Macs (it is also available for Windows.) Other changes, common to both editions, are bug fixes and support for reading ISO information from some recent Canon point-and-shoot cameras.

Orgnoi1
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Mike is NN shareware or freeware? or is it a paid software?

convergent
07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
This is a great product if you are shooting high iso on a camera that introduces noise. I used to use it on probably 50% of my images when I was shooting Nikon. Since I've moved to Canon, I really have only used it once in the last year I think. The great thing about Noise Ninja is that it can be run standalone as a batch processing tool, or it can be run as a plug-in for Photoshop, so that if you are doing other processing on the images, that you don't have to do a JPEG save (remember this is destructive) twice for the image. Another great feature is that you can download configuration files for most DSLRs that are preconfigured to remove noise for a particular camera at a particular ISO. One the configuration files are installed, Noise Ninja can automatically detect the camera and ISO from EXIF, and process it correctly. So, you can batch process a group of images that were shot with different cameras and different ISO settings and have them all be processed at the same time.

convergent
07-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Mike is NN shareware or freeware? or is it a paid software?

I think it is $69 for the version that includes the plug-in. Its primary competitor is Neat Image which is priced about the same.

When I was doing the shadow recovery of that image of you on the train, I was reminding of how unclean Nikon shadows can be. If that image were from a 20D, your detail would have come back fine. With the Nikon image, as soon as you start recovering detail, you start to get noise, and the more you recover, the more noise you get. Noise Ninja can fix that up.

The more noise reduction you apply, however, the more cartoony your images can start to become. That is why its best to use the default settings. I have processed D2H images shot at 3200 ISO and had them look very good. The D2H is a camera that is very sensitive to high ISO noise.

ProPhotoImages
07-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I did yesterday download the upgrade plug-in and the stand- a -alone for these two programs after e-mailing the Picture Codes website. They responded immediately and sent me the link along with my new key license already pasted in. They had noise profiles for the new Canon 5D and also profiles for my Canon A 620 compact & the Powershot Pro 1 although I did not see any noise profiles for the new 30D Canon.

They also had instructions for removing the plug-in from your Adobe and installing the new plug-ins. My stand-alone didn't need any removal.