PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual Night Shoot at the Berkshire Scenic Railroad Museum

Orgnoi1
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/NA3I8959a.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the schedule for our August 26th, 2006 1st Annual Night Shoot at the Berkshire Scenic Railroad Museum. At this point of firming up I would ask that please vote the poll when you are sure of your decision on going or not as we are limiting our attendance to 15 shooters. We would like to have a good headcount since there is the possibility of hotel discounts. We decided since this is the first time event and between all the other costs that we will be doing pizza either on the train or in the station. Basic sodas will also be within the cost but I would encourage everyone to bring water, Gatorade or something with no carbonation or caffeine to stay hydrated.This will be a long day with a lot of time at night shooting. I would advise that children not be brought along unless they are there specifically FOR the night shoot. The trains are a dangerous area to be around and we would like to have a safe and smooth running shoot.

The event will be covered by Steve Barry, editor of Railfan & Railroad (www.railfan.com (http://www.railfan.com/)) magazine. He is also providing the lighting for the event!

Please do not show up prior to 4:30pm as they will be on a normal passenger schedule and parking lot will be busy.
4:30pm – 5:25pm Arrivals and Collateral Shooting (No Track Access, Active Rails)
5:30pm – 6:00pm Safety Meeting/Liability Forms
6:00pm – 6:15pm Train Departs for Stockbridge Station
6:15pm – 8:00pm Shooting from Train Ride/Concurrent Train Chasing Photography
8:15pm – Completion (Approx. 11pm – Midnight) Night Shoot with Planned Locations

$25 mandatory donation per photographer (non-refundable pre-paid*) for the event (All proceeds go directly to BSRM for train fuel, usage fees, and food). Payment should be received no later then August 24th. Donations are also accepted at the museum for the aid or purchasing another locomotive for use (see attached PDF form).

Here are some necessary items for the shoot. I would say that pretty much everything listed is a “must have”:

- Bug Spray or Wipes
- Sunscreen (for earlier in the day)
- Appropriate Clothing and Comfortable Footwear for Use Around Railroad (uneven rough ground)
- Tripod
- Cable Release
- Small Flashlight, or Chemlight (Red lens would be best -be courteous during shoot)

*Payment can be made via Paypal. Please include your screenname, your real name, and contact info with the payment.

Paypal Acct:
orgnoi1@nycap.rr.com (orgnoi1@nycap.rr.com)

Payment Via Mail:
BSRM Night Shoot
C/O Ross Mealey
12 Boyack Road
Clifton Park, NY

CONFIRMED PAID SHOOTERS:
Trolleycar - Bob Campbell
Orgnoi1 - Ross Mealey
Irishpub3 - Trish Strickland
TomNanos - Tom Nanos
elips - Sharon Lips
Jose Alvira (Friend of Bob Campbell)
Berkshiremoron85 - Adam Sullivan
B&M4227 - Jack Armstrong
RParent - Ryan Parent

SHOOT RAILWAY WORKERS:
kmchitt - Kevin
AlcoEng - Tom
LenoxEngineer - Pieter
BSRM67 - Lee
mikeengineer - Mike

Irishpub3
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm in! Gonna be a blast!! :happy

Looks like it's only Ross and I in so far... come on, where is everyone?? This isn't supposed to be a romantic getaway... it's supposed to be a Railroad Night Shoot :D

TomNanos
07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm in, and as a teaser, here's one shot from this year's 3rd annual Night Shoot at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum (http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org) that I took (I'm one of the two guys responsible for putting that night shoot together every year)

See ya there!
Tom

KVphoto
07-17-2006, 06:13 PM
I have to see if I can get a tripod by then, let me check the finances and get back to you.

convergent
07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
I could probably let you borrow a tripod if you needed it for the evening.

trolleycar
07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Count me in. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Bob Campbell

fjcallahan
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
i think i have that weekend off:) ill find out tomorrow and post it up

Orgnoi1
07-17-2006, 08:57 PM
1st post updated with paid shooters...

ZK9995
07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Due to our never ending problems this year we won't be able to make this one :( It does appear another surgery is in order...Maybe next year :)

ZR2Blazer
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Yea unfortunately I'll be in for yet another operation, so like she said....Maybe next yr.
We'll be looking forward to the awesome pics that come from this :cheers

ATVinBarbie
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I AM working on making it to this. I will post when I know definite. ;)

elips
07-22-2006, 02:29 AM
I am new to NorthEast Foto and am glad I found you! I am looking forward to attending the night shoot. ~Sharon

Orgnoi1
07-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Sharon I received your payment!

KVphoto
07-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Here comes the dumb newbie question! lol How does it work? I have yet to be on any kind of group photo shoot so am completely dumbfounded by what to expect. Could anyone elaborate?

TomNanos
07-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Here comes the dumb newbie question! lol How does it work? I have yet to be on any kind of group photo shoot so am completely dumbfounded by what to expect. Could anyone elaborate?
OK, it's pretty easy. We've got at least 5 scenes planned where equipment will be pre-positioned around the museum area. Then you set up your shot of that scene. When everyone's set, the light guy yells "shutter open" then goes around and flashes the scene a number of times (usually betwen 4 and 8 times), illuminating the entire scene. When that's done, he yells "shutter closed" and that shot is done. Then we move on to the next. That's about it - pretty simple. Biggest thing is to watch out for your fellow photographers and keep out of their shots. Otherwise, get creative!

Let me know if you've got any other questions...

-Tom

riderchick_05
07-22-2006, 09:49 PM
That sounds like it would be so fun and interesting to go to but I have to take my little one to the dermotoligist in I think it was Potstam that day so I will be onable to attend.. Have fun though and make sure there are lots of postings...

KVphoto
07-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey I hate asking the seriously novice questions but I am sure I am not the only one, I hope:eek:
Do they tell you how long your exposure should be based on their lighting? How many setups will there be?

I can't think of any other questions but I am sure they will come lol

TomNanos
07-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey I hate asking the seriously novice questions but I am sure I am not the only one, I hope:eek:
Do they tell you how long your exposure should be based on their lighting? How many setups will there be?

I can't think of any other questions but I am sure they will come lol
Don't worry about it. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask! :D

Exposures are on bulb mode, so you'll need a remote shutter release for your camera, and are typically between 50 and 60 seconds in length. From my experiences, start shooting at ISO 100, f/8 and adjust from there (if you're shooting digital). This one from this year's Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum night shoot was shot at ISO 100, f/8 and lasted 54 seconds with I think 6 flashes around the scene.

http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/wm_normal__MG_6984-01.jpg

When I put the first one on at the CERM 3 years ago, I was shooting film and shot Fuji Provia 400, and I think I had it at f/8 maybe even f/10, and the slides came out pretty good, if a touch thin (overexposed). If you're shooting digital, just experiment - there will be plenty of opportunities to correct!

And I've got at least 5 shots planned. If we have time, I've got a 6th waiting in the wings. We typically do 3-5 exposures of each scene, so you've got plenty of chances to get it right.

Again, any more questions, feel free to ask!

-Tom

rparent
07-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Ross,
I will most likely be attending so count me in. I will send you the payment via money order in the next week or two.

Orgnoi1
07-24-2006, 12:03 AM
ok Ryan...good deal glad you can make it out... once payment comes in I will go ahead and put you up on the list here... will be great to meet ya

rparent
07-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok,
Sounds Good. Should be a good time.

Orgnoi1
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Aside from this shoot I have attached a PDF form for the museum's quest on purchasing another engine for use. See the attachment on the first post for information.

ATVinBarbie
07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I WON'T be able to attend. :(

But I look forward to seeing the pictures you all take. :tup ;)

rparent
07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
BSRM should consider applying for the Trains 2006 Preservation award.

http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=592

kmchitt
07-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks Ryan... We are doing that - to perform body work and paint the S1. That probably has more "historical" and reader interest.

BSRM should consider applying for the Trains 2006 Preservation award.

http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=592

rparent
07-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear that. I hope you guys win it.

mikengineer
07-29-2006, 06:48 PM
All:
Is there a particular filter that should be used for night photography with a DSLR?
I've recently put a basic UV filter on (primarily to protect the lens) and want to make sure that will be ok to use or if I should swap it out with a special filter.

Thanks much!
:doh

Orgnoi1
07-29-2006, 06:51 PM
You are all set with the UV... no special filter is required...

TomNanos
07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Personally, I'd ditch the UV filter. I gave up using one all together when my $40 Hoya SMC multicoated UV filter gave me some pretty bad headlight ghosts. Just not worth it for me. Depending on your shooting angle, you may get some headlight ghosts from the filter during the night shoot. It's up to you, but since we're not trudging through the brush, I'd leave the UV filter in the bag. One less surface for stray light to reflect off of. But that's me - your mileage may vary.

-Tom

Orgnoi1
08-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Bumping this up... still waiting on payment from a few people so I can put the names on the confirmed list... only 17 more days I can accept prepayment...

convergent
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm still undecided. If I'm here, I'll definitely go... but since our big August shoot got canceled, I'm not planning some vacation activities.

asull85
08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm in! Should be fun.

Orgnoi1
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Paid Updates 08/20/2006

Orgnoi1
08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Paid Updates 08/21/2006

Orgnoi1
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I have extended the paypal payment time till August 24th, and removed the acceptance of cashiers checks or money orders at this time. I have also editted the train schedule to show that we are indeed having a "Special" ride from Lenox to Stockbridge and will be probably eating on the ride.

Orgnoi1
08-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Paypal is now closed! Pre-payment is totally closed!! Only 1 more day till the event!

So as a kinda side poll... what is everyone going to be shooting with tomorrow?

I am going to be running two cameras, my Mamiya and my Canon 5D with my 20D as a backup (since my 1D Mark II is on its way to Canon)

TomNanos
08-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Paypal is now closed! Pre-payment is totally closed!! Only 1 more day till the event!

So as a kinda side poll... what is everyone going to be shooting with tomorrow?

I am going to be running two cameras, my Mamiya and my Canon 5D with my 20D as a backup (since my 1D Mark II is on its way to Canon)
20D as my primary. I'm going old-school with my second body - I'm breaking out my Minolta XE-5. Got a roll of B&W film in there I want to use up. Figured this is a perfect place for it.

Oh, yeah, and an umbrella....and I aint talkin' 'bout the flash reflector kind! :D ;) Freakin' weather..................

Orgnoi1
08-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Shush with that talk....LOL (I better remember to pack the golf umbrella..)

TomNanos
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I guess it's not that bad....from Intellicast:

Saturday:
Rain showers in the morning becoming more intermittent in the afternoon. High 66F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saturday night:
Cloudy skies. Low 56F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

kmchitt
08-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Its not going to Rain!! right now, weather.com is saying after 6 its an 80% chance of just some clouds. :)

Orgnoi1
08-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I figured that with the night shoot the clouds may add to the effect a bit...

asull85
08-25-2006, 08:17 AM
I'll be using my sexy little Kodak Z730.

Yesterday the ABC40 weather guy said "At this point we just don't know what it will do on Saturday".

FINALLY they admit they have no idea!

TomNanos
08-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I figured that with the night shoot the clouds may add to the effect a bit...
Only if you have one of two things - a moon or a city's light pollution, both of which I think will be absent while we're around. Moon is only a sliver waxing crescent. Ya never know, though...we'll find out tomorrow....

Yesterday the ABC40 weather guy said "At this point we just don't know what it will do on Saturday".

FINALLY they admit they have no idea!
I hope you recorded that for posterity....first admission that they don't have a clue... ;)

kmchitt
08-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Ya know... I was just there last night and I meant to pay attention to ambient light from the adjacent businesses and i forgot to do that. It's usually so dark there that we can even see to lock the station with out car headlights so i think we'll be ok. The only place that might get a little spillage is up by the spot where you want to do the portrait of all 3 locos..... it wont be too bad though.

TomNanos
08-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Ya know... I was just there last night and I meant to pay attention to ambient light from the adjacent businesses and i forgot to do that. It's usually so dark there that we can even see to lock the station with out car headlights so i think we'll be ok. The only place that might get a little spillage is up by the spot where you want to do the portrait of all 3 locos..... it wont be too bad though.
Works for me. Hey, if we get some ambient on the clouds, that'll be great, especially if they're moving reletively fast. If not, no biggie - black skies...

It'll be fun either way. :D

Orgnoi1
08-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Just so everyone catches this...

Mini Photo Contest from BSRM Shoot:
http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4993

Orgnoi1
08-26-2006, 09:25 AM
If anyone is needing directions here is the link that BSRM uses on their webpage!!!

Directions (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?countrycode=250&country=US&address=10+willow+creek+road&city=Lenox&state=MA&zipcode=&addtohistory=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0)

asull85
08-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm heading out the door now with Ryan. Ryan, myself and Dave Jacobs will be making a pitstop on Washington Hill. Then the "Berkshire Morons" are off to the BSRM.

See you all later this afternoon!

zacker
08-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Sh** im home getting ready for VA. you guys are gonna have a blast, hopfully, by next saturday night, all your shots will be up, cant wait to see me. Ross, anyway to get some sort of gallery just for this shoot? I am jelouse! Its gonna be great.. have fun guys and hope the weather holds for ya!

convergent
08-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Can't wait to see the images

TomNanos
08-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Just got home (1:50am). Almost exactly 2 hours door to door.

To sum it up - a great night! Weather was perfect, and the batteries on Steve Barry's Lumedyne lasted right up to the final shot. From the folks I talked to, everyone enjoyed themselves. And the BSRM crew was great! Thanks to all that attended and helped make this happen.

157 shots to go through now. That includes a bunch before the train ride, some on the train, and a slew of ambient light shots during & after the shoot. Well, and 15 MF shots I have to get developed. Ross let me play with his MF beforehand... :D

Bedtime...
-Tom

rparent
08-27-2006, 02:19 AM
I to enjoyed myself. Just want to thank all that made this event possible. The BSRM guys did a great job getting things moved around and set up. Im looking forward to seeing others photos from the event. I'll be out of town until Tuesday night so I'll post a few of mine when I get back.

asull85
08-27-2006, 03:21 AM
My photos can be found here (http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78656#post78656). I had a great time. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Bedtime for me. I'll probably wake up sometime around Wednesday. :D

B&M4227
08-27-2006, 10:06 AM
The BSRM Night Photo Shoot was great! Thanks to all who made it happen. Also thanks to the BSRM people who went above and beyond the call of duty. And last by not least, thanks to Steve Barry who did a terrific job with the lighting. Only problem, I will have to wait several weeks to get my slides back and see my results.

Jack Armstrong

Orgnoi1
08-27-2006, 10:48 AM
WOW... what a great night!! My eyes are burnt out like I could never imagine. Aside from technical difficulties I had a great time. But the technical difficulties were only mine...LOL Everyone seemed to have a great time and that really soothed the SERIOUS nervousness I had all day up till the event. Thanks to everyone that showed up and made the night what it was... and especially thanks to EVERYONE at BSRM...because without you guys and gals the night could have been made pretty difficult and you all went really far out of the way to make sure we were all happy!!!

AlcoEng
08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Ross and all the photogs who attended,
The pleasure was ALL ours! All the volunteers involved had a GREAT time! What a night!!!!!!!
Thanks also to those of you who helped my daughter out with her NON-night photography friendly camera! ;)
I can't wait to see the contest photos!

Tom

Orgnoi1
08-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Tom you are more then welcome... its a shame she cant get into photography class sooner... she seems to be really interested and has an eye for it... another new pro in the making!!