PDA

View Full Version : Searching in XP for a folder?

convergent
07-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Is there a way to search in Windows XP for a folder name, rather than a file name? This is something that I've been needing to figure out for quite a while. I organize all my images in Windows folders (don't use a particular tool for it at this point since I access them with a half dozen computers on a network, and don't want to buy 6 copies of some tool to view images... should probably find a better solution), and the image names are meaningless, but the folder names tell what the "roll" was about.

zacker
07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
start/search/ search all files and folders.. i think it would find it!
also try the advaced search feature while your there.
-zacker-
yeah i just did it. it works

ProPhotoImages
07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Zacker is right on with the search files and folders which should show up on the right side of the screen.

convergent
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't think that works... it searchs folders for files, but I don't think it will return a folder who's name matches the search criteria. In addition, I really don't want to wait for a full search of my image storage drives of all file names when I know that none of the file names have any meaning. I would think there'd be a way to do it, but I'm thinking there isn't.

zacker
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
yeah it does, i tried it..om my desktop i have a floder called faves.. i just put that in the search files and folders and it came up..i also found my "Fonts" folder in windows with it.
try it.
-zacker-

convergent
07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
OK, I will try that... but I still would like to find a solution, that ONLY searches folder names. If I have 500 main folders that I'd like to search the names of, which are all contained in the drive directory, it would be able to search and return an answer in a couple of seconds... vs. those 500 folders contain about 200GB+ of images. To search all of that, knowing that there is no meaningful data in any of it, would be a very long search.

convergent
07-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I tried it, and advanced options does let you choose what type of file to search for, and you can select "folder". It returned the folders very quickly, but then kept searching all the folders anyways... odd. This might work since I can stop the search after it returns the folder names. Thanks for the help.

ZR2Blazer
07-14-2006, 01:22 PM
That works well and I also use Yahoo Desktop Search......its a pretty handy tool ;)

convergent
07-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Will Yahoo Desktop Search let you JUST search folder names, and nothing else. I believe that all folder names are in the directory, so it would be a very rapid search. Looks like XP searches there first, but then keeps going. I'm sure there's a reason for it. I use Google Desktop Search all the time, but it doesn't really have a way to just search folder names.