PDA

View Full Version : The cheap Holga

ProPhotoImages
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Did you know that the $19.95 Holga has gone high tech. YES..with a Polaroid back and film for it. It takes 690 film now. What a gas.

zacker
07-13-2006, 08:43 PM
lol.. I wish I had some clue as to what youre talking about....lol

What the heck is a Holga.. I read the post name and I must say, I was a bit dissapointed by he thread.. I was hoping to see some Swedish girl named holga!
-zacker-

Orgnoi1
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Here is what a Holga looks like:

http://www.pixbytom.com/holga_camera.htm

ProPhotoImages
07-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Zacker, You knock me out. LOL. The "Holga" is a very, very dirt cheap plastic 120 film sized camera that does leak light. At least mine does and in addition, it's older than dirt. But...It works. You can buy one for about 19.95. Get one, load it with 120 film, take it out and see what you come up with.

When I was a part of the D.C. Public School System, I had a group of 11-12 year olds and I put in a request for 35mm cameras in order to introduce them to beginning photography and that's what the School System filled my request with. LOL I made it work.

zacker
07-13-2006, 09:03 PM
cool... Hey Ted, did you ever see the movie.. Born into brothels? if not, I suggest you rent the DVD and watch it.. youd be amazed.. its about the "Kids with Cameras" project.. These kids living in Brothels in India and under the worst conditions are just amazing. I recomend it very highly! being a retired teacher i think youd really love it.
-zacker-

ProPhotoImages
07-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Yes, I did see that "flick". Great inspiration too.

For anyone that really wants to try their hand at medium format photography, get a "Holga" and try it. It's a lot of fun and will take you to the heights of trying to capture and work your compositional juices.

Notice the "rubber band" in the picture of the "Holga" that Orgoni1 sent. It keeps the back from opening. LOL. Put a polaroid back on it, make an image then scan it in...ta daa..you now now have a digital file to play with.

zacker
07-14-2006, 07:44 AM
ok, two questions.
1.)where does one get a Holga?
2.) and where do you get the Polaroid back and film and for how much?
this is considered Medium format? if this is cheap enough and works out pretty good, maybe we can start a Cheap Holga section..lol
-zacker-
-zacker-

Orgnoi1
07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Here are your answers:

1&2) Holga eBay Search (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=holga&category0=)

Yup they are medium format... they shoot 120 film... I havent shot one but I hear the main thing you need to be careful of is that they are prone to light leakage...

zacker
07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
lol..they look so cheap!
I wonder.. i was at an outdoor art show in Florida and there was a guy from NYC who was selling these really nice prints and he had a BIO posted up and it mentioned that all the prints were taken with a toy, plastic camera.. I wonder if this was a Holga?
-zacker-

ProPhotoImages
07-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Try http://www.freestylephoto.biz or www.porters.com
FreeStyle which is in California has lots of accessories for the "Holga which includes flash units, 35mm backs and this stuff is cheap too.
Some of the Universities in the Northeast such as Raum University (The old Glassboro State College) in New Jersey which has a Major in Photographic Sciences and awards degrees in Photography is now teaching a starting course in 120 medium Format using the "Holga camera.
BTW, this University also has a starting course in "IR photography using the "Holga Camera. My eldest "grandaughter" just finished her first year there and had these two courses. I sprung for the 120 "IR" film rolls at 20.00 bucks a pop plus donated a "Holga" for her courses. It seems that these "kids" are getting a good photo education nowadays. I donated some framed and matted images to the University and I've been invited to lecture there next spring 2007.

So you see..don't laugh at the "Holga"

convergent
07-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Only one letter separates Holga from Helga!

Sorry, I have a wierd sense of humor.

zacker
07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
...lol as does Holga from olga!
-zacker-

convergent
07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Right, you expect to pull the camera out of the box and discover that it has blonde big tails on each side of the back of it. OK, Photoshop guys, there's your challenge... to combine Goldilocks with a Holga. :ro

zacker
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Right, you expect to pull the camera out of the box and discover that it has blonde big tails on each side of the back of it. :ro

yeah and holding a stein of St. Pauli Girl!!!
-zacker-

ZR2Blazer
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Wow thanks for all of the info....if I had been out and seen one of these cameras for sale cheap....I prob. would never have even looked at it...especially with the rubberbands on it :D

ProPhotoImages
07-27-2006, 05:41 PM
i forgot to mention that the latest "holga" comes with built in flash and if you decide to shoot 35mm with it, you will need a changing bag after exposing the film to get it out of the camera.