PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself...

Irishpub3
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I think it would be cool to keep a running "introduce yourself" thread... we've got a lot of new members joining (Yea! :happy LOL) and it's getting kind of hard to keep up with who everyone is... at least, it is for me anyway :o: LOL... so it would be nice to have one central place with a short introduction on everyone :D

So... since this was my bright idea LOL... I guess I better start... My name is Trish... don't believe anything anyone says about me :D I live in the Albany area - East Greenbush, NY... I shot film for many years (for my own interests, and as part time sports photographer for Alfred University and Alfred State College, and Campus Event photographer for Alfred U.)... I started into digital about a year ago and have barely looked back since LOL (my F100 is getting dusty :( )... I've managed to get a few shots published, mainly through the colleges, and in some trade magazines through my job (my real job :D as the business manager and part owner of a high tech materials research company)... and I would like to turn photography into a real money making side business (to support what it really is - an EXPENSIVE hobby :happy LOL)

What do I do besides work and photography? Snowmobiling :love my favorite! Skydiving... Motorcycling... Camping... Hiking.... to many to list. I have an awesome 10 year old son (who's also into photography and on the site Johnny_s_23).... and last but not least, spend lots of time with my great boyfriend, who shall remain nameless :D

zacker
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
My name is Trish... don't believe anything anyone says about me :D

lol,lol,lol..... Yeah, OK! :D

( just kidding, but her real name is "Trouble")

I am Zacker, (Craig) Im from Wallingford (wallyworld) CT. I have been into Photography only a few years so Im pretty new, I am a member of a few different boards and I do stay pretty active on them all.. This one being my new Home..lol I use a Canon 30D which I just got in may i believe (Im 41, I forget things Ok?) and a powershot Pro1 i have had for awhile now. I work in the Phamaceutical Industry..( ok i dont make drugs and Im no scientists) I make, fix and repair Sanitary valves and pumps..Its a great job and it buys my photo gear. Im married and Just so you know, Im at work right now and am bored because i just finished my "Huge" job for the day...:eek: I like to shoot basically anything and everything, except for people.. not yet anyhow.
Welcome all!
-zacker-

Irishpub3
07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Bump... come on, don't leave me hanging out there like this... post up and introduce yourselves everyone! :D It's getting where I can't remember who's who LOL since we're growing...

zacker
07-19-2006, 07:40 AM
It's getting where I can't remember who's who LOL since we're growing...

Ahhh age, its a wonderful thing aint it?
(sorry, couldnt resist!)
-zacker-

Irishpub3
07-19-2006, 07:42 AM
checking out your profile, you've got me beat by a year, so i wouldn't cast stones if I were you :fire LOL

zacker
07-19-2006, 07:47 AM
hey, Im just speaking from experiance..thats all!

lol.
Now, who are you again?? and why am I here?
-zacker-

Orgnoi1
07-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I thought this was what the welcome section was for :rolleyes: ...

My name is Ross, and I am a photography addict...:D

I started in photography a few years back (ok...18 years ago...) shooting B&W film with a Pentax K1000... I used that camera right up till 1996 or so when it was stolen from my Army Barracks room in El Paso, TX.... I took a break from photography for quite a while and got back into shooting a point and shoot back in 2002. I graduated back into SLRs back in October of last year when my great girlfriend bought me a Rebel XT and a couple lenses. From there I have evolved into the kit I am at now. We also have a son who was getting the demons for shooting photography so we started him in his first dSLR this past Christmas with a D30 and some lenses (he had been shooting point and shoot digitals before that).

Aside from photography I enjoy riding my Honda Goldwing, shooting my vast array of rifles and pistols, storm chasing, and some computer gaming.

Irishpub3
07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: You forgot snowmobiling! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe we should move this thread to the Welcome section, and make it a sticky? What do you think?

Orgnoi1
07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
LOL its summer... I didnt forget it... it may be redundant if we move it to the welcome section since we welcome members as they join...

TomNanos
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi, my name is Tom Nanos, and I'm an alco....oh, wait, wrong group... :D (there is a CD out there by a CT band that starts with me saying that as I introduced the band on stage - of course I had a large Jack Daniel's and coke in my hand, which made it even funnier....)

Seriously, I've been shooting on and off for more than 20 years. I started back in the early-1980's when my father lent me his Minolta XE-5 (that I still have & use today), and got me a basic darkroom kit for Christmas. I started shooting Tech Pan and Plus-X, then developing and printing it all in my bathroom. Once I went to college in '87, photography took a back seat to beer & women ;), but I did dabble at bit here & there. I didn't get back into photography seriously until about 2000 when I bought my first automatic SLR - a Canon EOS Rebel 2000. I shot prints for a couple years, then I switched to slides. That went on until December 17, 2004 when my 20D hit the doorstep. I haven't shot a slide since. :D

What I do in real life - my title is a Systems Analyst on the Information Technology Team at Pfizer Global Manufacturing in Groton, CT. What that means in plain English is I'm a computer geek - I design & specify systems, as well as do software development as needed. That will soon change, as Pfizer decided to cease manufacturing in Groton by the end of 2008 (yep, downsizing). I'm hoping to find another position within the company - they are a great company to work for - research is across the street from us, and isn't going anywhere. My wife Jill & I have two wonderful girls - Katina (3 1/2) and Callie (20 mos) - that keep our hands full. I've had quite a few photos published (66 at last count), including one magazine cover (March 2005 issue of Railpace) and one calendar cover (2006 Providence & Worcester Railroad company calendar). Photography for me is a hobby (a pretty serious one, but a hobby nonetheless) - something I enjoy, and something my wife not only lets me do, but encourages me to keep doing. I guess it's better than sitting in a bar... :D I do primarily shoot trains and railroading subjects, but have been known to venture out of the comfort zone from time to time, especially around country fair time. We try to hit most of the local fairs (Lebanon, Hebron, Woodstock, etc.), and the camera comes along for the ride.

Other than photography my other hobbies include: Model railroad (big surprise there), computer crap (yeah, I do it for a living, but I can do more things at home...), music (I've been known to make noise with either a guitar or piano), and that's about it.

convergent
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm Mike Collins. I am married and have 4 kids (10, 14, 17, and 19) and 3 dogs. I grew up in Virginia, met my wife down there, and then moved north about 20 years ago. My wife is from Vermont, so that was the connection to the north. In my younger years I did some drag racing and a little off-road motorcycling. I was also in the National Guard in artillery for six years. My first serious camera I bought back about the time that I got married, so something over 20 years ago... it was a Nikon FG and a couple of lenses. I think we started with the nifty 50mm, and I think I had a 150-300mm zoom and one shorter zoom... but don't recall. We later moved on to a Nikon 6006 and 35-70mm and 70-210mm lenses. I birder bought the FG from me to setup in the woods with a proximity release. I still have the 6006. Most of my photography during those years was just family related stuff... nothing too serious.

I have worked for a major IT company for almost 25 years, and currently am in a headquarters group where I help deploy project management within the company. I have spent a good portion of my 25 years as a project manager leading all different kinds of projects in the US and abroad. One of the projects that was the greatest fun for me was a huge project we did with Kodak to help them move a lot of their functions to the web.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I started to work with a number of ventures on the web, and about five years ago, I became seriously involved when I had a humble notion to create an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) website for a device that was a combined telephone and PDA (Personal Digital Assistant). That site eventually became PDAPhoneHome which now attracts over a half million unique visitors each month, and helped me launch a small business called Convergent Minds, LLC. Over the years we've been involved in a lot of different things related to the web... web development, web hosting, forums, online sales, online auctions, etc. Early in the life of the business, I needed to setup a studio for product photography... for auctions, reviews, etc. This basically sparked a fire in my photography from time past.... but the world had become digital while I was asleep.

Another converging factor was that my kids were becoming active in youth sports and I was becoming a student of sports photography as a result. Then a few years back, the opportunity presented itself for a lot of this stuff to converge and we ended up investing in a franchise with what is now TSS Photography. At the time, I believed my "day job" was at risk and so my thought was that this would be a major career change. As it worked out, my job changed a few times and is more stable now... so I've not had as much energy to devote to taking the photography full-time. Since it is mostly nights and weekends that we work, it does combine well... and I have a house full of employees that I hire on an as needed basis to do what I can't. It makes for some long evenings and busy weekends, but it is something I really enjoy.

Most of all I enjoy learning and growing my photography. I would love to take some time off and go back to college majoring in photograpy, but with family funding to take care of... that isn't going to happen anytime soon. So we learn together here!

So that's my story... hopefully this site will continue to grow and be a great resource for other photographers that are interested in learning and growing their skills. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of the folks that are here.

rpiano
07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
My name is Bob Piano, I'm a divorced Dad of two wonderful women (21 & 23) both looking to graduate from Penn State within the next year.

I'm an IT Project Manager by trade, like Mike, and have travelled a good deal of the country for business, unfortunately it was prior to getting seriously involved in photography again. For the last three years I have been commuting from Allentown, PA to White Plains, NY daily (4-4.5 hrs round trip) to work on a project with a Law firm client. This has limited my time and energy to get out and shoot.

The latest incarnation of my photography habit started two years ago when a friend showed up with his Digital Rebel, a couple shots of my Mustang and I was hooked, AGAIN!

I started researching cameras and decided to go Canon, started casually enough taking pics on vacations, day trips, etc. Thousands of photos not many keepers but it was fun, learned Photoshop CS and started to build a regular workflow and liked the results. A couple of photography classes later and shooting with more than "capture the moment" in mind and here I am.

Wildlife photography is where I find peace of mind, though I spend many weekends driving around central PA looking for old churches, farm scenics or waterfalls. Summertime is for car shows, airshows and motorcycle events.

I still have a lot to learn, technically and compositionally. I have all the tools to do a great job, now I just need to spend some time refining my eye and skills.

My work can be viewed at www.bobpiano.com (http://www.bobpiano.com) stop by and let me know what you think.

ProPhotoImages
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi....My name is A. Theodore Austin alias Pro Photo Images and also known as Ted. My hometown is Washington, D.C. and I started in Photography way back and I mean way, way back as a wet darkroom technician in the Army. I got out just as the Vietnam War was starting to become a war instead of a conflict. I wanted to shoot with cameras instead of guns. I ran off to school and got through on my GI Bill and by working as a photographer for the Interior Department's National Park Service shooting with 4 x 5's and medium format cameras. My first 35mm was a manual Nikon "F" with no electronics. Later as I taught school in D.C. they had the nerve to pay for a Master degree in photographic Science. I needed that in order to move up and out of there.
I have 4 daughters and 2 sons. One daughter lives and works in Los Angeles as a Fox weather commentator and flies the skies over L.A. doing weather and traffic, one is an artist in Atlanta who does a little photography, one is a counterterrorist on loan from the D.C. Police Dept protecting us (hopefully) and my youngest daughter is going to be a senior at Bowie State University in September. She is the one that uses my Canon 1N and gets laughed at because she doesn't like digital. I use her for "free" labor since I pay her college expenses. My youngest son was driving subway trains up until 2 weeks ago and now he is in the train control tower learning to handle switching and operating 3 computers and several phones and says he loves it. I also have a granddaughter that is majoring in photography at Raum University in Glassboro, N.J. And she just finished a course in "Infrared" and medium format photography and wet darkroom and lucky me..I get to go up there and become a visiting lecturer in the spring of 2007. ( I donated images to their Gallery). And since my wife is from New Jersey (Asbury Park) I feel like a NorthEasterner.
I find lately that I have been spending a lot of time here at home in my digital darkroom as my wife is now recuperating from surgery and off from work on "Capital Hill" and in October will be traveling to Southeast Asia until December. But..I will be back.

"That's my story and I am sticking to it"

zacker
07-27-2006, 07:52 AM
wow Ted, It seems you and yours have a pretty full plate!
Good job!

radh77
08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi... My name is Radim Horak. I was born in the Czech Republic... actually in the old Czechoslovakia roughly 29 years ago :D. I came here to US when I was 19. I did get greencard sponsorship thru my work. INS managed to loose my case twice so it took almost 6 years to get everything sorted out. Finally I was able to visit my home country in June '06 after 9 loooong years..

I have some beautiful pics from Prague and from my hometown of Kromeriz in southern Moravia.. When I get a chance I will post couple of them.

Anyway I work as a network administrator / large format color graphic printing and production guy in a small graphics/printing company in northern NJ. Guess that I picked up a great hobby in photography because I can get some HUGE prints done at work for free :happy.

I am also looking for some photo practice. So if anyone needs some help with shooting/production/digital retouching/printing etc. etc. then please let me know. I am willing to help and to learn new stuff. I am in Rockland County NY. I'd love to get into wedding photography and into some studio shooting. I do have some strobes and stuff but I do not have the practice..:(

Also if anyone is interested in some weekend photography trips and "gettogethers" (OMG what an awful word :)) I'd be more than willing to participate.

Guess that's all..
Seeya around

zacker
08-05-2006, 11:09 PM
glad you could join us Rad! Very interesting story ya have.. im glad everything turned out ok in the end!

seven20photo
08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Hello folks, my name is Edgar Ovalles. I'm an amateur photographer based out of Staten Island, NY. I have no formal training in photography, although my father was a freelance photographer for AP, personal photographer for the former Pittsburgh Pirate Roberto Clemente and finally a photographer in the Army. I spent many long hours in a darkroom with my father as a child. I joined the U.S. Coast Guard 14 years ago, and have been proudly serving my country ever since.

Miss-Wendy
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Hola everyone :D
My name is Wendy, 21 years old, from Breda, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands. (yes from exotic Europe :P ) My creativity is very important to me. I love to photograph things (as an amateur) so I always carry my camera around, everywhere i go. I used to draw alot, mostly cartoon characters.
I'm addicted to writing, started to write a book 3 years ago, but now I have a so called "writer-block" so I gave the story a little rest.
I didn't give up writing though, no, I started to write songs some time ago, and i absolutely love it. i'm also learning the guitar, which comes in handy when I'm writing songs. On top of this all i'm a gratuated waitress, chef and I work as a waitress/chef in a little nice restaurant.
I love traveling, winters, Formula 1, cooking and baking.
I have 1 brother, who's 15, huge pc freak, and we live in a nice house in Breda with our mom. :D

Oh and I'm crazy about music to :D
Especially Maroon 5 (who will come to the Netherlands for a concert, in December, and i've got tickets :D:happy)

Orgnoi1
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Been a while since this was bumped up... welcome to all the newer members!!

brittonx
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
My name is Britton
I have been enjoying photography as a personal hobby for many years. I have used and still have a simple Minolta X-7A 35mm film camera, I've more recently been working with digital P&S cameras for the last few years. I am at a point now where I am am getting a little more serious about the hobby and want higher quality images. I expect to purchase a Sigma DP1 and SD14 over the next few months. I really like the images these cameras and the Foveon sensor produce.

I've just started sharing a small number of the photos I've taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brittonx/

Orgnoi1
02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome Britton! Stick around and post up some... glad to have ya on the board!

zacker
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
welcome.... So the DP-1 huh? it looks like a pretty good little cam, I wish it had a zoom lens though..... and IS. oh, and went to F2.8.. lol thats all...lol

oldnavy170
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
My name is Britton
I have been enjoying photography as a personal hobby for many years. I have used and still have a simple Minolta X-7A 35mm film camera, I've more recently been working with digital P&S cameras for the last few years. I am at a point now where I am am getting a little more serious about the hobby and want higher quality images. I expect to purchase a Sigma DP1 and SD14 over the next few months. I really like the images these cameras and the Foveon sensor produce.

I've just started sharing a small number of the photos I've taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brittonx/

Welcome, I look forward to your post.

brittonx
02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome, I look forward to our post.

Here's the first one ;)
http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=121269#post121269
--Britton