PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to "clear up" a shot in Photoshop

zacker
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
cool info... hey, is there anyway to "clear" up a shot? for lack of a better term? Some shots just arent to clear, looks as iff you shooting through fog but there was none there at the time of the shoot. I remember seeing a pic someone posted of the first shot from their new 24-70L and 20D..it was of a co-worker so it wasnt even compose too great but boy did it look waaaay sharp and crystal clear, like i had 20/20 vision again! maybe there is a haze and maybe its your cam settings... I usually adjust the brightness/contrast but it will darken shadows and lighten high key spots.. is there some layer trick to do this with better results? Also, I have just really started to explore the "Dodge/Burn tool" and am loving it.. Ill have to practice with it more.
-zacker-

convergent
07-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Zack, Can you post an image as an example. There are a lot of things that can look like haze. Often adjusting levels and contrast can fix it. I almost always try the 3 auto-adjustments first to see what kind of response they give. I don't usually use them, but it gives me something to think about before I go in and start working. And, if they do the job, I go with it. It is also a good way to see how you did on white balance and exposure. I love it when I hit "auto level" and nothing changes visibly. :)

FotoTravis
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
cool info... hey, is there anyway to "clear" up a shot? for lack of a better term? Some shots just arent to clear, looks as iff you shooting through fog but there was none there at the time of the shoot. I remember seeing a pic someone posted of the first shot from their new 24-70L and 20D..it was of a co-worker so it wasnt even compose too great but boy did it look waaaay sharp and crystal clear, like i had 20/20 vision again! maybe there is a haze and maybe its your cam settings... I usually adjust the brightness/contrast but it will darken shadows and lighten high key spots.. is there some layer trick to do this with better results? Also, I have just really started to explore the "Dodge/Burn tool" and am loving it.. Ill have to practice with it more.
-zacker-

One trick you can try is to duplicate your layer. Then change the blending mode in the layer pallet to "Soft Light". Then move the opacity slider to what you like. The advantage to this trick over using brightness/contrast is that is doesn't blow out your highlights. Try this and let me know how it works for ya.

zacker
07-15-2006, 10:53 PM
cool tip Travis! Mike, Id have to fid an example of what type of shot im talking about. But I have seen em so sharp and "clear" that they just grb your eyes!
-zacker-