PDA

View Full Version : Creating Partial Greyscale Images In Photoshop

FotoTravis
07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
From time to time I get asked, "How do you make those pictures that are black & white but still have some color in them?", otherwise called Partial Greyscale images.

http://www.photosbytravis.com/pg_example.jpg

Here is a quick and easy way to do this in Photoshop or with Photoshop Elements.

1) Load your intended photo.
2) Go to the Layers pallet and click on the circle that is half black/half white (Create New Fill Or Adjustment Layer)
3) Choose Hue/Saturation
4) Move the Saturation Slide all the way to -100. (Your image should be B&W at this point).
5) Click Ok to keep this setting.
6) Now in your Layer pallet you should see a new layer with a white box in it, click on the white box.
7) Now choose your paint brush by hitting the B key.
8) Now press the D key for default colors of white/black.
9) Now press the X key to exchange the colors to black/white.
10) Paint over the part(s) of the image you want to be in color. Don't worry if you make a mistake simple hit the X key to paint over the area with white to return to B&W.

That's It!!! Have fun and post your creations here for others to see..

Orgnoi1
07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for a great post!!! I was actually wondering that.. but never had thought to ask... LOL

Orgnoi1
07-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Not too bad for my first time... I dont think anyways....LOL

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/2006_07_01-ColoredBW.jpg

FotoTravis
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Since it is appropriate for the 4th Of July, here is one I did a few years ago of the Clayton Opera House, in Clayton, NY.

http://www.pbase.com/fototravis/image/31356229.jpg

FotoTravis
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Not too bad for my first time... I dont think anyways....LOL

[IMAGE REMOVED]

Great job!!! Its a fun technique isn't it?

Orgnoi1
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
It definately is... I had always wondered when I had seen models with their eyes and such in color.. I thought it was done opposite..where you actually DID pain the color in instead of removing the black and white... thats a great flag shot!!

FotoTravis
07-04-2006, 10:40 PM
It definately is... I had always wondered when I had seen models with their eyes and such in color.. I thought it was done opposite..where you actually DID pain the color in instead of removing the black and white... thats a great flag shot!!

I actually know about three ways of doing the above effect, but I think that way is the easiest way.

But you can add color to true black and white photos another way, but that is a lot harder. You have to select each section, then use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (like above) with the colorize option checked, then move the Hue slider at the top to the desired color. And repeat that process for everything you want in color. Takes a while.

Orgnoi1
07-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I will stick with the easy way if it works...LOL I am still pretty new to PS CS...

convergent
07-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Inspiring guys.... I will have to try a few of these. The technique that you've described is actually pretty useful for ANY correction (not just color) that you need to apply to a portion of an image.

ZR2Blazer
07-05-2006, 08:42 PM
That is an awesome feature to do....I always enjoy seeing pics like this.
Thanks for the inside scoop :hail

zacker
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
i gotta try this way, I usually use the layers, turn the top one into B&W then "Erase" the parts i want in color... I use to cut out all the parts in the color version and re paste them into the b&W pic.Thanks for the post!
-zacker-

FotoTravis
07-05-2006, 11:10 PM
That way works, but the drawback is that if you goof you can't go back easily.

zacker
07-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes... you are correct...lol Alot of what i do with PS is trial and error.... Things i have picked up along the way, I never worked with masking,,, I guess i should start learning. I was working on a pic of my brothers bike last night, i had to make a cut out of it and i was erasing the BG around it which wasnt so bad untill i got to the front tire and had to erase everything that was between each spoke! it took me just under an hour to do then i set it on the new BG and inserted a really cool version of the Harley Davidson Sheild.. finished the whole thing then went to re-size to 8x10 to print it out and thats when i realized you cant make an 8x10 print from a 15x11 photo! So, needless to say, most of the pics on my site are now crap and need to be deleted and reuploaded at a different size! Blaaah!
-zacker-

AgandAu
07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
I had figured out my own way of doing that and it was very frustating and took forever, that was so easy and it only took a few minutes. Thanks so much for posting it. I did a quick try on the picture of the girls I posted the other day. I wonder if I should do the hair too, or just the dresses? I am looking forward to playing around with it some more. Thanks again...great post.

Orgnoi1
07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
I had figured out my own way of doing that and it was very frustating and took forever, that was so easy and it only took a few minutes. Thanks so much for posting it. I did a quick try on the picture of the girls I posted the other day. I wonder if I should do the hair too, or just the dresses? I am looking forward to playing around with it some more. Thanks again...great post.

WOW... its really funny that you did this... I was talking to Fran (Silencio-1) last night about your shot... and thought how cool it would be to have this shot done up JUST the way you did it... by re-coloring in the dresses only... :D it looks great... just like I had thought it would...:)

ATVinBarbie
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
BEAUTIFUL work! :#1 !

I'd love to see what it looks like with the hair colored in also... if/when you have the time to give it a try. ;)

ZK9995
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
love the picture of the girls with their dresses done :)

AgandAu
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I am going to try to play around with it a little more, color in the hair and reduce noise ect, before I try to print it.

convergent
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Awesome work there... it is a great image to start with, and the b&w treatment adds to it.

zacker
07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
im in no way being nit-picky but, you might wanna straighten out the crop on it too. look at the top, its a bit lower on the right.
-zacker-

yammigirl
07-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Excellent Post - you have saved me TONS of time :)

Who said elephants are grey?

zacker
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I re colored a pic once, while it was kinda interesting, it took forever...lol and im useing a tablet and pen!

zacker
07-25-2006, 02:13 PM
here it is, it was an old faded b&W pic of ( Harry perrigo) the guy who used to own the company i work for, he died in the 20's at the Rialto Fire in New Haven... poor guy..
http://zacker.smugmug.com/photos/83933089-O.jpg

zacker
07-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Here's the story of the fire incase anyone was wondering... This was in the paper right after that big Nightclub fire in Rhode Island a few years ago.

Elm City's Rialto showed fire, entertainment are deadly mix Edward F. Flynn Jr.
02/27/2003

http://www.nhregister.com/images/email_this_article.gif (http://javascript<b></b>: openEmailWindow();)Email to a friend (http://javascript<b></b>: openEmailWindow();)http://www.nhregister.com/images/printversion.gif (http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=517515&newsid=7197614)Printer-friendly (http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=517515&newsid=7197614)

During the past week, the tragic fire and loss of life at a music venue in West Warwick, R.I., has given us a wakeup call and suddenly we are once again learning a lesson on fire safety the hard way.

On Nov. 27, 1921, New Haven was struck by such a tragedy at the Rialto Theatre on College Street when a fire in an incense urn ignited the curtains back stage while an overflow audience was watching the silent movie "the Sheik," starring Rudolph Valentino.

Prior to the movie, a young couple entertained the audience with oriental songs and dances. The stage had been draped with light and flimsy draperies and an urn with burning incense to enhance the atmosphere prior to the romantic movie. Shortly after the movie began, a rosy glow shot up behind the picture-screen, and was followed by a burst of flame on the left side of the stage.

The lights went out, smoke filled the theater; and panic seized the audience. As the exit doors were thrown open, the air rushed in and drove the flames up into the three-sided wooden balcony that was part of the original church.

Every seat had been occupied for the performance. Standing had been permitted downstairs, upstairs, and on the circular staircase leading to the balcony. These conditions enhanced the difficulty of emptying the house and contributed directly to the large number of people injured.

Attempts to stop the stampede failed, with many pushed and trampled in the rush to the exits. The orchestra continued playing until the heat and flames forced the players to run for their lives. In five minutes, the building was engulfed in flames.

The three-alarm blaze took a toll of 10 lives, over 75 casualties and destroyed the theater, which was originally a Congregational Church. It was used for a while as a university lecture hall and eventually converted into a movie house.

If not for the many heroic rescues made by firemen, policemen, and citizens, the loss of life would have been greater.

There were close to 200 Yale students in the theater that night and when the fire broke out they attempted to calm the audience and help woman and children reach the exits. One of them was Allen Keith, a 20-year-old sophomore who made several trips into the inferno to haul out the injured. Burned and exhausted, Keith collapsed and died less than 24 hours later.

The horror of the disaster was further magnified when one of the victims, Harry Perrigo, was seen staggering out of the balcony onto an upper fire escape on the south side of the building. Trying to jump to safety, he collapsed on the fire escape and in the view of hundreds burned to death. On the north side, a middle-age woman died in a similar manner.

The coroner's inquiry stated that the old church should never have been used as a theater. New Haven learned a lesson the hard way in 1921.

Here we are 82 years later still dealing with fatal fires in buildings that feature entertainment. Will we ever learn and practice true fire safety?

Edward F. Flynn Jr., a retired battalion chief with the New Haven Fire Department, is the department's historian. Readers may write him at 84 Townsend Terrace, New Haven 06512. His e-mail address is efflynn@snet.net (efflynn@snet.net).

ŠNew Haven Register 2006

convergent
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Wow... that's an amazing story, and the coloring job you did was excellent. I've never tried going that way, but you seem to have it down. I wouldn't no where to begin.

zacker
07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
it came out good and looks good, but i dont know if id wanna do this again...lol

Orgnoi1
12-05-2006, 07:02 AM
bumping up for all the new members..

rparent
12-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Very cool! Thanks for the instructions.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/5/0/6/IMG_2097nef.jpg

ATVinBarbie
12-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Ryan.... VERY nice choice here. VERY dramatic with the flag in color and the rest in B&W. :love VERY well done. :#1