PDA

View Full Version : Where to turn after Rawshooter Essentials?

convergent
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Where to turn after Rawshooter Essentials? ( http://www.ephotozine.com/news/fullnews.cfm?NewsID=3101 )

When the announcement that Adobe had bought Pixmantec surfaced, it left many photographers who took advantage of Rawshooter Essentials wondering what their options are now that this free software package has been discontinued.

convergent
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
This is a pretty good overview of some options for those that used the excellent free program, RAW Shooter - Essentials. Since it has been given a death sentence, those who used it need to either find something else free, or actually spend some hard earned cash to buy something. This overview highlights Adobe Camera RAW (only free if you own a later version of Adobe Photoshop), XnView, FastStone Image Viewer, Dcraw, LibopenRAW, and jrawio.

The one thing they failed to mention is that many camera manufacturers include utilities to view and process their RAW images. Canon includes their software with many of their DSLRs. Nikon, charges $99 for theirs... which always kind of annoyed me... if you buy a camera that costs as much as their high end stuff, seems like you should get the software.

Personally, I don't shoot a lot of RAW, but I generally use Adobe Camera RAW when I do. There are also some very good RAW workflow programs that are not free also... like PhaseOne's Capture One and Apple's Aperture.

TomNanos
06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah, it sucks the way they're killing it off. I use Rawshooter Premium for all of my RAW processing (I shoot about 99.99% RAW), and it's a quick, user friendly, easy workflow tool. I spent half a day in Toledo, OH shooting trains (big surprise), and I shot just over 400 images. Well, on my flight back to CT, I weeded them out, did minor corrections on the keepers (curves, sat, rotate & crop), and converted what I wanted to keep into JPEGs in a couple hours. In PSCS2, that would have taken days to do.

Of course, just because Pixmantec was bought out, doesn't mean the software will suddenly stop working. I'll keep using it until something better (and as affordable as RSP) comes out.

convergent
06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Well it just means if you get a new camera, you might be out of luck if the RAW support needs to be updated. But you make a good point... it still work, so you can still use it.

TomNanos
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Well it just means if you get a new camera,
Well, I won't have to worry about that! My financial planner won't approve that purchase, unless I give here a very positive ROI report... :D

-Tom "20D for the forseeable future" Nanos

ProPhotoImages
06-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Convergent, Thanks for the heads up on Raw Shooter Essentials being bought by Adobe. I didn't know that. It seems as if the big boys didn't want that program to flourish. Adobe has been pushing a free Raw program for quite awhile now, one that will standup to many camera manufacturers raw files. Thats why the push for a standardized program which Adobe DNG is supposed to possess. Microsoft even has a free raw file viewer. It looks as if Adobe DNG and camera raw will eventually win out and now that Adobe Elements 4 is out there which possesses raw processing power, It may make users who shoot raw go out and buy that image editor. Of course if you have a "canon" no matter which one, you can always download "Digital Professional Pro" and use that to process your files and if that shooting raw gets to be too much of a pain (timewise) just keep shooting "JPG" or JPEG 2000.

ProPhotoImages
06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I just finished reading in Harold Heim's plug In news about the sale of Pixmantec to Adobe. Raw Shooter Premium is being discontinued but Raw Shooter Essentials will be continued free until their own Lightroom Beta is completed. Pixmantec will be supported with an upgrade path to Adobe products.
I'm kinda "ticked off" with Pixmantec cause I did buy the Premium after having used the Essentials for quite a while. If I had known that Pix was gong to sell out, I wouldn't have plunked down my $79.00 for the upgrade to Premium...as the old saying goes.."you pays yer money and takes yer chances". I guess nothing is sacred anymore but the "big bucks".

BTW, I'm kinda "ticked" at Adobe too for trying to gobble up the market and keep us photographers in a corner.

How do you photographers feel about all this?

Orgnoi1
06-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Ted I think a lot of the large scale companies for some reason are buying up everything they can see in terms of software competitors... with the recent Microsoft buy... and this... something strange is coming down the pipe...

stoneylonesome
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Ted I think a lot of the large scale companies for some reason are buying up everything they can see in terms of software competitors... with the recent Microsoft buy... and this... something strange is coming down the pipe...

I feel the same, Never really being able to justify or afford Adobe Photoshop, I have used Jasc Paint Shop Pro, started out back with 7 upgrade all the way to 9 which was fantastic including RAW processing, did most of what Photoshop would do at a much cheaper cost, than they went and sold out to Corel paint (draw) release what they claimed was a fantastic upgrade PSP 10, and in my opinion now SUCKS. I also have rawshooter essentials and to be honest don't use that much PSP9 worked well. Even though I bought the PSP10 upgrade I still do most of my processing in PSP9.

I still can't afford or justify Adobe, and with there Walmart attitude (buy up or bury the compation) I don't think I want to buy there products.