View Full Version : Just posted! Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Review

06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Just posted! Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Review (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0606/06062802sonyh2review.asp)

Just posted! Our Review of the Sony DSC-H2, replacement for the popular DSC-H1. The H2 isn't a major upgrade - a bit of a re-style, a few new features and an extra megapixel - but some of the refinements, though small, are significant. Find out if the H2 has what it takes to compete with the likes of Canon's PowerShot S3 IS after the link.

06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
DPReview is certainly one of the best sites for reviews. If you are in the market for a high end Point and Shoot, this is a good one to take a gander at. I have resisted buying one of these, as my philosohpy has been to bring the best tool for the job. Why would you buy a multi-thousand dollar camera and bag of lenses, and then leave it all at home and carry a P&S when you go on vacation? You might save a little effort, and a possible scratch on your DSLR, but you did buy it to take pictures... and things like vacations are bigtime memories to capture. I know this is very controversial, but that's my current view.

Here is an excerpt of Phil's summation of the review... check the rest out at DPReview.

Compared to the most obvious competitors - the Canon S3 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ7 - the Sony H2 scores highly in handling, image quality and ease of use, and only really falls short in a couple of areas; burst mode, focus speed in low light (specifically at the long end of the zoom) and the slightly underwhelming movie mode. Some users will bemoan the lack of a flash hot shoe and Raw mode, but these are still rare on this class of camera. And things like chromatic aberration and focus hunting at the long end of the zoom are common to most competitor models. The smaller screen is a pity, but the H2's screen is surprisingly good, and the flip side of the downgrade is a significant improvement in battery life - and you get a higher resolution viewfinder.