PDA

View Full Version : Adobe PS boot up speed?

Orgnoi1
06-28-2006, 03:36 PM
OK I am slowly creeping my way into using solely Adobe and just using PSP when I am in a rush to process. The one thing I notice that really is a drawback to me is that Adobe PS CS takes quite a while to load and uses a LOT of system resources. Is there anyway to streamline operations to get things running a little smoother? I am already running an adequate computer and LOTs of RAM...

:Hammer :Hammer

convergent
06-28-2006, 03:46 PM
There are a few things you can do. First off, I leave PS CS2 up and running pretty much all the time. That way the startup time isn't an issue. The number of plug-ins and fonts it needs to load will effect startup time. So, if you'd added a ton of either that you really don't use, then its best to ditch them.

The biggest thing I've done to speed it up is a) add more RAM, and b) give it a dedicated scratch disk. I have a drive that isn't use for much of anything, and so I made it my scratch disk for PS. It helps with PS speed, and also avoids your primary drive becoming way, way, way fragmented. If you have a really fast drive, this is the place to use it. I also preconfigured a large paging are for XP's virtual memory so that it doesn't keep fragmenting the drive as well.

If you have over 1G of RAM, and you really must with PS CS2, then Adobe has a speed up tip on changing the tile size used to draw images here ... http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331372.html

TomNanos
06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Another little tweak you can do is to turn off the font preview. I found that with a ton of fonts on your machine, it just hogs up resources and brings the computer to it's knees from time to time, especially on screen redraws. Just go into the Preferences -> Type dialog, and uncheck the Font Preview Size box. Should speed things up a touch...

-Tom

zacker
06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
cool tips.. It seems that the longer my PSCS2 is open the slower it gets... i left it open all day yesterday and was trying to shut it down last night and it wouldnt close for about 10 minutes.. i really dont mind the waite at start up..its not to bad...plus, i guess it could also be that im fascinated by the way all the names of the people involved keep changing places.. Like Julie Kmoch will be at the top and Svetlana Fogel will be last, then open it again and they have changed places..lol
-zacker-

convergent
06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I've had it get slow before too after being on for a while... but usually its after I've let it be up for many days. If that happens, I usually reboot anyway.

ProPhotoImages
06-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Having worked with Adobe since Version 5.0, I have found what works for me is this: When I boot up, don't get on the internet or open E-mail or do any browsing. First lose everything on the taskbar ( saves resources) and (memory) and if you are going to do any printing, clean and setup your printer, first then reboot, lose the taskbar and now bring up Adobe. Make sure that your Adobe Photoshop is not on the "C:" drive. If you have more than one partition, Adobe shoud be on a partition not associated with drive "C". If you only have one drive and it's "C", if it's large enough, consider using a program called "partition magic" to partion that big drive into other partitions. For example: My main "IDE Drive" is a 120GB one. I have divided that drive into several partitions. 4 to be exact. I have the OS and Antiviruses, Firewall, Printer software, etc on this drive. On "D partition" I have Adobe. On partition "E" and "F", I have images and other graphics and on "G" partition, I use that as a "Swap File". More about that later. Partitioning your drive and using several partitions will aid your computer in running "faster" and more "efficiently". Also that partitioning will aid you when you have to "defrag". There is a big differce between defragging a 120 GB drive and defragging a 20 GB partition. Of course if you only have that one drive and it's small, consider a second drive as a "slave". If you don't have enough "IDE'S", you only have 4 on a non "SATA" drive, then to free up another "IDE", you can lose the CD Rom if you also have a CD writer and let it do double duty. Or you could add an external USB drive to give you more space. While you are at it, When you bring up your Adobe, first setup your preferences by going to the "edit" menu, dropping down to preferences and setting up your particular preferences. Also set your Adobe for 50% of your total Gb's of ram. Remember, your OS (XP) will take a couple hundred MB's to run. Set your swap file in Adobe for one of those other partitions. You will find that your Adobe will "fly along" instead of bogging down.

One other thing is that if you are running CS 2, there is a new update version 9.0.1 which you broadbanders can download fairly quickly. You "DUNNERS will be in trouble cause it's a huge download. Just go to your help dropdown menu and click on update and the 9.0.1 will download and install for you.

Some of these tips and tricks, BTW will not work for everyone, because your configuration of your system might not let it be so, but I hope that this will be of some value to some of you.

convergent
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Theodore,

Are you sure about that 4 partition thing? I agree that it might speed up the defrag process, but it seems like the physics would cause it to run much slower. By partitioning, you are essentially forcing the arm to have to move to different regions of the drive repeatedly. When you run defrag on an NTFS partition (or Norton SpeedDisk), it is smart enough to lay things out for speed. I used to do what you are suggesting, and it seemed like I was causing thrashing.

I have two IDE drives in my box... one is OS and programs... and the paging area is there as well, which I pre-configured to something quite large (to avoid fragmenting). I don't put any data on that drive, outside of what gets sprayed during program installs. My second drive I use for workspace. I have it setup for PS CS2's scratch disk, and I also use it on the rare occaision that I'm working with video as a streaming area. I then use mirrored network drives for storage. I have even redefined my "My Documents" folder to be on a Network Drive. So, C: is OS, program storage, and paging... D: is scratch space, and Network drives for storing any data, images, etc.

I guess you can skin this cat a lot of different ways. Ideally, you'd have a huge box with dedicated SATA drives for all the big functions... but if you were going to spend that kind of dough you could blow the big bucks and move to a Dual Mac. :)

ProPhotoImages
06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Convergent, Greetings..Yes, I am sure about that 4 partition thing and no it will not run slower, but as I mentioned earlier, this is not for everyone to use. And it's not expensive if you are building or tweaking your own system. Maybe at one time in the day of older MB's and before "SATA", you might in theory cause some thrashing, but with MB's now and "SATA" plugs for newer drives, no you won't. You will work your drive harder by having Adobe on your C:Drive with your OS and not setting up your scratch disks for other partitions but I notice that you have setup a scratch disk separate drive. You have solved part of the problem and kinda skinned your own cat Also. you may remember the day of the "Fat 32" and Win 98 when the only way to use "ntfs" was to use the NT system. When they came out with Win2000+NTFS, I was working (free labor) at a custom computer shop and got one of the first copies of Win 2000 server Edition for Corporates and the Head Certified Tech there gave me a copy and told me to go play with it and showed me how to use a bootup disk to do some partitioning of 20 & 30 GB drives which were very rare (40's were just coming on the market) 60's were very rare and there was no 80's or 120's at all. Wow..I'm telling my age...but anyway, while I was working there I was able to open my own personal account and get devices & peripherals & parts dirt cheap and thats how I was able to put a big box system together. Now today it is more practical to probally go out and get a dual MAC system at 3,000.00

If your system is working well for you, "leave it be". Everyone does not have the resources nor the time nor funds to do builds or tweaks. but some of my other tips other than "partitioning" will work for you. And oh BTW, if others have a lot of "icons" on your desktop, that takes memory resources also. Pare down the start up menus by using "msconfig". If you are using raid..you are truly a super, duper power user.
One other tip I forgot to mention was to do the defragging in "safe mode"
instead of on the desktop.

I know that others reading this are going to howl and say it can't be done
or..he doesn't know what he's talking about..that "partitioning crap....but for all you reading this..Santa Claus does really exist.