PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my file size down?

IronDuke
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey all, in PSCS2, what's the best way to make a file smaller, without losing alot of quality?? right now I'm trying to first change resoloution, 2 say, 70px inch, then resize photo, to 700Xwhatever, now, should I save for web? That seems to work, but the size of the file is tied in with quality..... What quality is generally "acceptable?" 75% or so? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'mlooking to save some loading times!!!
-Jay

convergent
06-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Good questions. First off, for web publishing, use 72 DPI. If you are cropping the shot, just set your resolution when you crop, and you will be all set. For quality, if you use Photoshop's Save for Web, it will show you the size/quality in different images so you can see. There isn't any rule on quality, as it is dependent on what detail is in the image, but I usually set it to 10 and it works pretty well... .so 75% should be good.

FotoTravis
07-04-2006, 02:42 PM
I personally don't use the Save for Web option because it will strip out the EXIF data from the file. If you need to resize your image in Photoshop, you can using the Image/Image Size command and changing the size to what you want. Just make sure you set the Resample Image to Bicubic Sharper to sharpen the image as it resizes. I usually will then do a small unsharp mask to make it appear sharper for screen viewing.