PDA

View Full Version : Cameras Needed for Test... June 17-18

Orgnoi1
06-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Zacker and I have been in kind of a dispute with the people over at the Canon Pro-1 Message Board (ok maybe not a dispute...more a reality check :doh) that the Pro-1 will shoot as good in most conditions as all the dSLRs...now the Pro-1 IS a great camera... and I am not knocking anyones camera (my disclaimer)....

So what I am looking to do is stage a shoot this weekend, and I need some help! I want to be able to test out as many cameras as possible to create a test bed. I will only need the camera body with a fresh battery and you wont need to leave it with me...

Currently the cameras I would like to have show are:

Canon D30, D60, 10D, Rebel, Rebel XT, 30D, 1D, 1D Mark IIn, 1Ds, 5D, 1Ds Mark II...

Nikon D1, D100, D1X, D1H, D2H, D2X, D50, D70s

Any point and shoots of any brand or variety that have zoom and specs to the 35mm equivelent...

I know I am not going to get most of those cameras... but any that I can get I would certainly appreciate. I will be testing with both 17-35mm and 70-200mm lenses (since I have the ability to have comparable in Nikon and Canon for both)...

Current Cameras in Test:
Canon: 1D Mark II, 20D, Pro-1
Nikon: D70

Lenses for test:
Wide Angle: Tamron 17-35mm Nikon Mount, Tamron 17-35mm Canon Mount
Telephoto: Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR, Canon 70-200/2.8L IS

Thanks in advance!!

Lisa
06-16-2006, 08:49 AM
let me talk to gene.... i'm willing to play on sunday.. saturday is out for us tho.. but we could prob supply u with a canon rebel and a rebel xt plus a couple point and shoots... i have 2 or 3 and he has one.. what time would this be occuring?

Orgnoi1
06-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Well I am waiting to see who can and when... but I dont see any reason we cant do it sunday at some point...

CruzinGirl
06-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Sunday is Father's Day and out for me....I have to take a civil service test on Sat and then could stop over with my Canon 1D....can't stay long though....gotta finish that scrapbook of my Grandpa's 80th B'day for Sunday!

zacker
06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
lol I see, so, what your gonna do is flood them with quality and put this puppy to rest!

i do believe that Hi end p&S cams are great and do give great shots... I think the biggest point everyone misses is that, DSLR's give waaaay more room to shooting creativly and can adapt to ANY style or shooting conditions. The high ISO's, the advanced AF systems the user controls, the sheer amount of lens combos, the list goes on. My pro1 shoots great shots but it does not compare to a dslr, it just dont. i like it for macros and stills.. forget action, unless your good at predicting when and where it will take place, have the time to pre focus and shoot.. yes, when looking at the photos side by side, its hard to tell... but, gimmie my 30D anyday.
By the way, i realize these guys there are not pros, mostly hobbiests so i can also see their point in "why own all the equipment if you dont really need it"... but thats kinda suggestive.
-zacker-

Orgnoi1
06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
LOL yeah flood them with fun (or at least information)...LOL

I totally agree with all the points you make... I think they use the word "need" way too loosely... because if they had the equipment they would most certainly use it... I of course dont carry ALL my equipment around where ever I go... but I certainly do carry what I feel I will need...

sparkfndr
06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah saturday is out for me but we can hook up on sunday and you can use my rebel xt

aceman152
06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
must it all be done on one weekend?

Orgnoi1
06-16-2006, 04:18 PM
well the problem with doing it more then one day is that you get different lighting and then have to resetup conditions...

aceman152
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
good point.....not thinking today

convergent
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Have you thought about the type of testing you are going to do. Is this an outdoor test? Good light, or low light? Flash or ambient? Depending on your goal, you could probably produce a test that showed they were all equal, or one that showed they were completely different... know what I mean?

I don't think I have any bodies that you don't have... except the N vs. non-N, and image quality on those would be identical. I do have a Coolpix 4300 for a P&S. We are doing a garage sale this weekend, and then with Father's Day... would be hard for me to get away. I look forward to the results though. If you want to ftp the files to the server instead of putting them in the gallery, let me know.

Orgnoi1
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Well Sunday looks like the day... lets shoot for morning so it wont be terrible out... Lisa, Gene... how does 10:30am-11am sound?

Lisa
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
fine with me if i can come in pjs and no one takes a pic of me :thumb.. idk.. lets ask the boss.... hes at the wedding rehearsal now and wont be online til later.... im sure the both of us will be hung over but i will let u know.. im sure that time will be fine :) gonna make sure my batteries are charged now :D