PDA

View Full Version : Me and 26 million other veterans had our personal data stolen

convergent
06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I just received a letter today from the Veteran Administration. Apparantly one of their employees took home an unauthorized copy of all the personal data... 26.5 million people... names, social security numbers, birth dates, etc., and then as luck would have it, someone broke into their house and stole the data. That kind of stinks, don't you think? :Hammer

Orgnoi1
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Got the same letter today... <sigh> just waiting on the Phishing to start any day now...

aceman152
06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Apparently they had active duty people on that personal data too.....but definitly isn't the first time an organization like the VA has done this to me (hopefuly I am not on it) tri-care had it happen while I was at Bliss and I think Delta Dental while I was at Sill:Hammer

zacker
06-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I cant even begin to fathom how this happened... WTF was this guy thinking bringing all that info home on a laptop? i saw on the news that the neighborhood he lived in had a rash of break ins at that time.. yeah, all the more reason NOT to have that kind of info laying around!! Sometimes ya just gotta shake your head and wonder why? it seems, as i get older, I am doing that more and more!

Good luck with all this guys, hopefully, no one gets caught up too bad in all this, id hate to see this happen to anyone, let alone those who have walked the line for the rest of us .
-zacker-

sparkfndr
06-07-2006, 08:44 PM
i'm just waiting for my letter to come.

ATVinBarbie
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm NOT a veteran.... but a simular thing just happened to me... I received a letter informing me that Topps market and several others (ones affilliated that I DON'T have around here) recently had a "laptop" come up missing on a flight and it contained info on members who had a "member card"... that's me... and I don't know how many others... My info in that file includes... SS#, Driver's lisence #, D.O.B, Address, phone number, bank account#'s (routing AND checking account#)

JOY!!!

convergent
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, the worst one was the credit card clearing company that had their computer hacked about 6 months ago... and it was open for about 6 months before they caught it. With that data, you really could do some serious damage, and the merchants are the ones that foot the bill. When the credit card companies advertise that you are only responsible for $50 of stolen credit card charges, the merchant is who has to eat the rest... not the bank or credit card company.

ZR2Blazer
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I seen this in the news a couple of weeks ago....when it was first reported it was played off as "not that bad" then it went to being worse, then last night I seen on the news that it was more involved than they first thought.
Its just a bunch of BS that information like this would even be allowed out of a swcure building and put at risk in this day and age....its sickening :doh :mad: :mad:

CruzinGirl
06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I just received a letter today from the Veteran Administration. Apparantly one of their employees took home an unauthorized copy of all the personal data... 26.5 million people... names, social security numbers, birth dates, etc., and then as luck would have it, someone broke into their house and stole the data. That kind of stinks, don't you think? :Hammer

Yeah, too bad that was the ONLY thing stolen and there were no signs of forced entry. Now I am a suspicious person by nature, but this affects me too....I think it stinks of fraud....I woudl not be surprised if the guy sold the info, and it was never stolen!

convergent
06-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I seen this in the news a couple of weeks ago....when it was first reported it was played off as "not that bad" then it went to being worse, then last night I seen on the news that it was more involved than they first thought.
Its just a bunch of BS that information like this would even be allowed out of a swcure building and put at risk in this day and age....its sickening :doh :mad: :mad:

Yeh... how does someone accidentally bring home the electronic records of 26 million people. And what are the odds that your house would be robbed at precisely the same time that you accidentally did this? A bit of a huge coincidence, it seems.

CruzinGirl
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeh... how does someone accidentally bring home the electronic records of 26 million people. And what are the odds that your house would be robbed at precisely the same time that you accidentally did this? A bit of a huge coincidence, it seems.

Yup, and no signs of forced entry and nothing but that taken!!!!:Hammer

zacker
06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Thats what i hate about dealing with government things of any kind... how long before the IRS "looses" everyones records? I dont trust the whole lot of em! It's really a shame.. it seems the important stuff gets brushed aside for the more assinine things get the spotlight!
-zacker-

Lisa
06-08-2006, 01:15 PM
ya my dad's info was prob in there someplace too... im not aware he received a letter or anything about it tho :dunno

ProPhotoImages
07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
All you better be careful, cause "Big Brother" or should I say "Big Sister" may be watching you. The reason I say this is because my daughter who has gone over to the Counter terrorist arm of The Homeland Security down at Main Police HQ's informed me that one of her duties is to track terrorists on computer sites. That's a lot of monitoring and they get leads and follow up. How do you like that. Any photographer terrorists here? LOL

Orgnoi1
07-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Any photographer terrorists here? LOL

LOL I think I have been called that a few times at the airport...LOL

zacker
07-17-2006, 08:41 AM
all in the name of security huh? well, as they say, I have nothing to hide... but, what if the GVMNT thinks I do? then they make your life a living hell.. Besides, who knows what to believe anymore, with so many reports and accusations flying around the rumor mill..ANYTHING can be true, was 9/11 planed? did the white house know before hand and not say anything? youll never know if itis or not! is Ossama really still alive? who knows? and all the news coming out of iraq.. who knows whats going on there... god Im so confused! I guess its like religion... all you can do is try to believe and have faith ( and keep your fingers crossed just in case!) All I know is, I cant afford the 70-200IS L and that just sucks!
-zacker-

kmchitt
07-17-2006, 08:57 AM
I have been watching this from the sidelines, my father got the same letter, but I think i heard recently that the laptop was recovered and there was no evidence that the data was accessed. I'll see if I can find where I heard that and pass it along...

kmchitt
07-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Hopefully, this may let you sleep better:

July 14 Data Security Issue Update

On Thursday, June 29, 2006, Veterans Affairs Secretary R. James Nicholson announced that law enforcement authorities recovered the laptop and external hard drive stolen in early May from a VA employee’s home.

The FBI has since informed VA that it has completed its forensic examination of the recovered laptop and hard drive. The FBI indicated to VA that it has a high degree of confidence -- based on the results of the forensic tests and other information gathered during the investigation -- that the sensitive files were not accessed or compromised.

Its from the VA website: http://www1.va.gov/opa/data/july14.asp

convergent
07-17-2006, 09:29 AM
That is very interesting. I wonder how they could tell that no one accessed the information???

kmchitt
07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
There is probalbly much we would be suprised to learn about what "they" know... It might be as simple as when I modify a Word doc for example, the file is stamped with a "last modified date" Maybe there were security tags on the files for just such a reason?

That is very interesting. I wonder how they could tell that no one accessed the information???

convergent
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Well I do think that the file system keeps "last accessed date" on it, but if it were a database then I don't think it works the same way. I also know that if they didn't go through the OS to get at the data, then the file meta data wouldn't have been updated at all.

Irishpub3
07-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Well... of COURSE they would SAY the info wasn't accessed :rolleyes: LOL

I got my letter... but it seemed to come about 2 weeks after everyone else got theirs :confused: We Marines might be "First to Fight" ...but we're last to get our mail obviously :rolleyes: :D LOL

KVphoto
07-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Do you think it affected deceased veterans and their dependants?