PDA

View Full Version : June Fun Contest - Breaking All The Rules - Description and Submissions

Orgnoi1
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Since we are in the process of working out everything with the site Junes contest is going to be strictly a fun contest and will run the month of June, ending June 30th at midnight.

The theme is "Breaking All The Rules"... What does that mean? There are many rules in photography on getting the perfect exposure, the perfect setting, the perfect photograph. Well this contest is to show off the "Oops" the "Oh Darns" and the "What heck was that" pictures. The contest will be based on originality, picture quality, processing, and the fact that the "mistake" must be taken in the month of June of this year. If your software does not support EXIF please post up a copy of the EXIF prior to processing. Any questions can be directed towards the three judges (Orgnoi1, Irishpub3, and Jake4440). Submissions may either be posted in the Contest Gallery and linked here or directly posted to this thread.

Good Luck!

aceman152
06-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Shannon and I will submit our first shot when I get home, I am sure all rules will be broken with that one!:rolleyes:

ZR2Blazer
06-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Alright....finally a contest I can be good at :roflmao

convergent
06-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Yep... this should be pretty easy to qualify for. Now where did that macro lens go???

One thing though on a clarification. I assume you are looking for photographic ooops, and not creative Photoshop oooops.

Orgnoi1
06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Actually since this is a fun contest... everything is fair game... but I know that an original oops from the camera will score a little higher...LOL

convergent
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Actually since this is a fun contest... everything is fair game... but I know that an original oops from the camera will score a little higher...LOL

Right, and if there is photographic evidence that the photographer was careening down a rock covered hill as they snapped the shutter, how many points is that worth???

aceman152
06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Right, and if there is photographic evidence that the photographer was careening down a rock covered hill as they snapped the shutter, how many points is that worth???

Way to steal my idea Mike, now I am goingto have to spend the rest of my time figuring out what to do....:mad: :Neener

Orgnoi1
06-06-2006, 10:06 PM

I would have to say that if someone is falling off a cliff they will score high points...

Disclaimer: Please dont try this at home, permanant damage may occur to your body or camera gear from falling off a cliff..:rolleyes: :Neener

convergent
06-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Way to steal my idea Mike, now I am goingto have to spend the rest of my time figuring out what to do....:mad: :Neener

Given your location, you have a significant advantage on the rest of us for dangerous pictures. How about a picture of the bottom of a tank?

ATV Dad
06-07-2006, 12:18 AM
What is the EXIF :confused:

Orgnoi1
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Basically what EXIF is... is the data that your camera also takes in with the picture...it includes the time and date, the type of camera, the aperature, shutter speed, so on and so forth...if you right click on an original picture (before processing) and go to properties... then go to Summary and at the bottom click on advanced you can see the EXIF from any picture...

convergent
06-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I know I've seen some contests on other sites that require the EXIF data to be intact for the submissions. For some reason, my images I post often lose it and I haven't figured out what post processing step is causing that. Likely something in Photoshop.

Orgnoi1
06-07-2006, 07:58 AM
it is a processing issue Mike... normally PS doesnt delete the EXIF though... I know in the case of Barb she is using PSP7 which I have found ALWAYS deletes the EXIF... but she is too lazy to come out and get PSP8 from me...LOL

ATVinBarbie
06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
it is a processing issue Mike... normally PS doesnt delete the EXIF though... I know in the case of Barb she is using PSP7 which I have found ALWAYS deletes the EXIF... but she is too lazy to come out and get PSP8 from me...LOL

:eek: Hey Hey Hey now... I was out your way Memorial Day weekend and you couldn't stick around long enough to even SEE me ... say the least about handing me PSP8! :Neener LOL

You HAVE my mailing address.... mail it! :nice :Neener

ATV Dad
06-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Basically what EXIF is... is the data that your camera also takes in with the picture...it includes the time and date, the type of camera, the aperature, shutter speed, so on and so forth...if you right click on an original picture (before processing) and go to properties... then go to Summary and at the bottom click on advanced you can see the EXIF from any picture...

Ok, I never knew that info was there :doh

ATV Dad
06-07-2006, 09:00 AM

I only have Photoshop cs. Is there a big difference between them?

Orgnoi1
06-07-2006, 09:03 AM
I would put it like this... Photoshop CS is the creme of the crop in terms of processing software... it is what 99% of all pros use... PSP8 is probably in the top three (in my opinion) and is WAY easier to use then PS but also the results on PS are still going to be slightly better because you have just that little bit more control...

ATV Dad
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I would put it like this... Photoshop CS is the creme of the crop in terms of processing software... it is what 99% of all pros use... PSP8 is probably in the top three (in my opinion) and is WAY easier to use then PS but also the results on PS are still going to be slightly better because you have just that little bit more control...

Oh, ok. I thought PSP7 or PSP8 was better :doh

ATVinBarbie
06-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh, ok. I thought PSP7 or PSP8 was better :doh

IMO... PSP is more "user friendly" (easier to use) than PS.

SOMEDAY I'll venture into PS. For now... PSP works for me for what little post processing I do. MOST of the time I only resize and MAYBE do some cropping.

zacker
06-07-2006, 01:05 PM
i used a free 30day trial of psp10 and it wasnt too much different than PSCS2.... even had some more, cooler stuff to play with.
-zacker-

CruzinGirl
06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Ok, so here is my latest neat looking oops....no processing at all (nothing on my work pc and my home one needs to get to Ron)...I'll post up the exif as soon as I get a chance today.

This young lady was trying to escape getting her picture taken, and instead I managed to get her face in focus and everything else a blur.

I thought it turned out pretty neat and would be a great way to kick off this months contest!

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/8/2/F3DA3982Large.JPG

Lisa
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
i use whatever you gave me ross... thats real good isnt it... dont even know what i use... god im rarely home anyway...

so u are just basing the pictures off originality???? so many choices.. im the most indecisive person ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATVinBarbie
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Here's my oops...

Not too far from our home there is an animal farm. This guy has some unique animals.... I got all excited when I saw a zebra and a donkey fenced together... ZEBRAS being one of my favorite animals... So... I start shooting tons of pics..... didn't view them until I got home and transferred them to the computer...

OOPS, the donkey dropped his head down JUST enough to make it appear that he has his head up the Zebra's butt... :cool:

Now... who's the Jack@ss here.... the one in the photo.. or the one BEHIND the camera who didn't check to see if she got the shot she was going for? :doh

Butt, (LOL) it worked out... because now I have a submission I WASN'T really working on at the time. :rock

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/7/donkeyButtZebra.jpg

ZR2Blazer
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Well I made it out with the kids shooting on friday and I have a ton of pics for this contest......leave it to me.....I never checked the camera settings and all pics were shot in 1600 ISO.....so needless to say all my pics are lousy......looks I took them with an P&S from 15yrs ago. :doh :doh
I am sure I will screw up again, so i'll see what else I can post up :roflmao

zacker
06-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Here's my oops...

Not too far from our home there is an animal farm. This guy has some unique animals.... I got all excited when I saw a zebra and a donkey fenced together... ZEBRAS being one of my favorite animals... So... I start shooting tons of pics..... didn't view them until I got home and transferred them to the computer...

OOPS, the donkey dropped his head down JUST enough to make it appear that he has his head up the Zebra's butt... :cool:

Now... who's the Jack@ss here.... the one in the photo.. or the one BEHIND the camera who didn't check to see if she got the shot she was going for? :doh

Butt, (LOL) it worked out... because now I have a submission I WASN'T really working on at the time. :rock

Ewwwww...lol,lol,lol... Donkey Poo!
-zacker-

convergent
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
IMO... PSP is more "user friendly" (easier to use) than PS.

SOMEDAY I'll venture into PS. For now... PSP works for me for what little post processing I do. MOST of the time I only resize and MAYBE do some cropping.

I'm going through a Book/Video on PS CS at the moment (will hopefully post up a review of it when I'm done.... it is from the local library) and one of the good lines the instructor used in the opening segment of video was this. "In PS, the obvious choice is usually the worst choice." This is absolutely the best way to describe learning PS. It is NOT a tool you can just install and figure out. You will hate it if you try that approach. It is not hard to use, and is infinitely powerful, but you have to "learn" the basic fundamentals to get anything out of it. For example, there is a tool in PS called Brightness/Contrast. In the video, the instructor shows how this is the worst way to adjust either brightness, or contrast, in PS. It does a poor job and should probably never be used. The other tools are not any more difficult or time consuming to use, but just are named in a way that you'd probably never go there without some basic instruction.

zacker
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
he's right, i have PSCS2 and have learned most of it on my own and in different tutorials on the net... althoough, i had started with PS7 so i already had an idea of what was what...lol there is such a huge learning curve, probably more so than going from a point and shoot to a dslr!
-zacker-

Striderxl
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
I learne PS on Elements 2.0 before the Elements started to get to far away from PS.I was also lucky enough to have registered PS Elements and they offered me PSCS for less than half price,so I bought it right away.I love it.

I also made the mistake of having my ISO at 1600 too at the beginning of the Bronx zoo trip.But this is a very big missed oppertunity with a baby gorilla.There were 50-60 peopl trying to take its picture and I am there with my 100-300 f4 Sigma and got this one OOF and 1600 ISO.I only cropped it to fit here no processing.

Charlie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Striderxl/Non%20HWs/Photography/Bronx%20Zoo/BabyGorilla.jpg

IronDuke
06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Whoops!!! I didn't read the fine print as well as I thought I did..... nevermind!!! LOL.....(picture is omitted, because I'm a rule breaker!!!)

ATVinBarbie
06-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Whoops!!! I didn't read the fine print as well as I thought I did..... nevermind!!! LOL.....(picture is omitted, because I'm a rule breaker!!!)

:nice Get with it J! LOL

Striderxl
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Please disreguard my picture too.I guess in my old age I missed the word June.LOL

sandcmom
06-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, while goofing around (that pretty much what I do with a camera) I ended up with this photo of a couple of ghost kids. One (my neigbor's son) is on a skateboard and another (my daughter) is playing with the sidewalk chalk. I was trying to take a picture of the kid on the skateboard and my daughter ran into the frame at some point. It was late in the day and at some point I managed to put the camera on a setting where it took three shots in a row (AEB maybe, not sure). Luckily I remembered what button I pushed. Anyway, one of the pictures was pretty neat, and my neighbor's son thought he looked pretty cool as a ghost skateboarder.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/4/6/crazykids.JPG

picture info:

File Name IMG_3351.JPG Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot Pro1
Shooting Date/Time 6/13/2006 8:34:41 PM Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Photo Effect Mode Off Tv( Shutter Speed ) 0.8
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0 Metering Mode Center-weighted averaging
Exposure Compensation 0 ISO Speed Auto
Lens 7.2 - 50.8mm Focal Length 15.4mm
Digital Zoom None Image Size 3264x2448
Image Quality Superfine Flash Off
White Balance Auto AF Mode Manual Focus
Color Space sRGB File Size 2398KB
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting Owner's Name Woolley

CruzinGirl
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
:bump: ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT!!!!!

Since we are in the process of working out everything with the site Junes contest is going to be strictly a fun contest and will run the month of June, ending June 30th at midnight.

The theme is "Breaking All The Rules"... What does that mean? There are many rules in photography on getting the perfect exposure, the perfect setting, the perfect photograph. Well this contest is to show off the "Oops" the "Oh Darns" and the "What heck was that" pictures. The contest will be based on originality, picture quality, processing, and the fact that the "mistake" must be taken in the month of June of this year. If your software does not support EXIF please post up a copy of the EXIF prior to processing. Any questions can be directed towards the three judges (Orgnoi1, Irishpub3, and Jake4440). Submissions may either be posted in the Contest Gallery and linked here or directly posted to this thread.

Good Luck!

Striderxl
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok here is one from June.I was playing with ,y 100-300F4 Sigma EX and a Sigma 1.4 EX converter but of course nothing went right.LOL

Here is all my info -

Shutter speed 1/40
F 5.6
ISO 200
Focal Length 386mm
In AV mode

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Striderxl/Non%20HWs/BirdinMotion1.jpg

Striderxl
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh this is called Robin in flight,if for any reason you cant make it out.LOL

KeithAlanK
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Here's one from June 17th.
I was shooting an egg toss contest at a smalltown celebration.
This one is a double-oops because not only did some guy stand up in front of me, but my intermittant sensor problem also kicked-in which caused the banding you see.
(My Sony was one of the ones that got a faulty sensor, but I can't send it to Sony to be fixed for free until it gets worse, so I have to review every photo I take carefully.)

***A few notes about exif data: when using photoshop, the exif will be stripped if you choose 'save for web', but will remain if you 'save as'.
IrfanView, the free downloadable bare-bones editing program, has a good exif reader but for some reason also strips the data when you use it for processing.
Other programs like NeatImage noise reduction strips it, too.
If your version of Windows is older than XP, you can use another free downloadable program called Opanda to read exif data. It also has plug-ins for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox that enables you to rightclick on photos you see on the web to read the exif.***

KeithAlanK
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Using IrfanView, you can open a photo and look at the exif, then if you want to post it you can 'copy to clipboard', open it in the editing window, crop it and 'save as' a jpg.
This is the result for the photo above.

Orgnoi1
07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
The Winner is.............

sandcmom with this picture:

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/4/6/crazykids.JPG

Thanks to all the entrants!!! The next contest will start shortly!!

Striderxl
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Congrats sandcmom!!!!!!!!

ATVinBarbie
07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Congrats sandcmom.... excellent goof. ;)

ZR2Blazer
07-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Congrats :cheers

sandcmom
07-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the honor of having the best goof - :) :) :) :)

Note: I just saw this today because I'm on vacation in Texas where there is only dial up, and today is the first day I've been able to sit down and have the patience to get online...

To think that I could win a photo contest - I guess the category was just right for me--:) :) :)

Thanks again and I'll catch up when I get back next week - I've got some neat pictures to post when I get back to cable internet!