PDA

View Full Version : What is the smallest P&S that gets decent shots?

mikey
06-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Which are the tiniest that will still produce high quality shots... comparible to a DSLR in great light conditions... like outdoors snapshots?

ProPhotoImages
07-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Mikey,

I have been carrying around the Canon A620 7.1 megapixel camera hung around my neck. It's certainly small and light enough and uses SD cards. But it will shake, rattle and roll in available light without that popup flash. You have to set a higher IOS and you might have to apply noise filtration in the software program. But it's cheap uses 4 AA's and if you don't get fancy with it ( Tele & WA lens attachment) you can put it in your pocket also

ProPhotoImages
09-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Mikey,

I have been carrying around the Canon A620 7.1 megapixel camera hung around my neck. It's certainly small and light enough and uses SD cards. But it will shake, rattle and roll in available light without that popup flash. You have to set a higher IOS and you might have to apply noise filtration in the software program. But it's cheap uses 4 AA's and if you don't get fancy with it ( Tele & WA lens attachment) you can put it in your pocket also
Although I have been using the Canon A620 which I replaced with the Powershot Pro 1 which I happened to luck up on, Canon has already replaced my A620 with a brand new Canon A640 10 Mega Pixel P & S. I wrote a review on the A620 last December 2005 for B&H Camera and also for one of the Camera emporiums here in D.C. and as far as I am concerned, the A620 is now a better deal with it's drop in price to under $250.00.
The new A640 will come in at about @369.00.

I seem to feel that this is one of planning by Camera makers to draw you in to replacement buying. If you want to see the new features....Go to
http://www.dpreview.com and take a look. These A series cameras are good walking around cameras if you don't want to lug any equipment and a lot of gear. You can stash this small baby under the seat of your car or hang it around your neck and always have something ready to shoot with in a pinch.

Now if Canon would only reissue a newer PowerShot Pro 1.

epatsellis
10-15-2006, 10:05 PM
My gut response is an Olympus XA2, a Minolta Hi Matic 7IIs, or a Canon QL17, but you probably mean digital, don't you?

erie

CruzinGirl
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I would say, go to different stores with a pad of paper...check out the cameras that are the size that you want and then go look them up on the retailers website for the specs....if you are talking small pocket size, that is probably going to be your best bet.

If you are looking for something to hang around your wrist and take out to the bar with you (I NEVER DO THAT:D :D :D ) then just get a 3 megapixel vivitar, you'll be fine with it and it will only run you about $60 or less.

If you are willing to go bigger, I would say you could never go wrong with the Canon S3 IS (I just got one, I gotta promote it, lol)....they run $399. Just remember, I always recommend buying the camera at an actual store, not online in case it doesn't work....and if you go higher end like the S3 IS a good camera store will not only make sure you know about the manufactures warranty, but handle the sending it back to the manufacturer for you. This also has 12x zoom, a movie feature with stereo sound and image stabilization. You can run it on auto or control the settings yourself as well.

These are actually the 2 p & s that I own.

SDommin
10-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I would recommend any of Canon's "SD" series cameras, like the SD970, SD850, etc. They are tiny, but produce great shots. If you have a lot of money lying around, look into the Leica D-Lux 3 or its cheaper cousin, the Panasonic LX2.

convergent
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Got my daughter an SD800IS I think it was... and it does great work. Very small.

KDN
10-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I just got my dad the A620, though I didn't get to play with it too much it seemed like a decent camera and small for sure.

zacker
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I like the looks of the G9 but you might not consider that small... if so, just stick it next to your DSRL with Grip and 200MM lens... lol,lol...

brittonx
02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
If you are looking for true DSLR IQ in a smaller camera then you should look into the Sigma DP1 which will be available next month.

http://sigma-dp1.com/

Recent sample images:
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-photo/

oldnavy170
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree that a Canon S3 IS is similar to a DSLR but they are not small..........they are still a bulky camera and it won't fit in your pocket. However, I owned one before my DSLR and it is a nice camera.